“Very nice hotel in an excellent location”
Review of Grand Hyatt Berlin

Grand Hyatt Berlin
Ranked #18 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Spent two enjoyable nights at this hotel. Highlights are the friendy staff and the fantastic location. Hotel rooms themselves are very nice, if maybe lacking a little in atmosphere...but thats just down to personal taste.

There were only two issues for us, but these would not stop us returning.

1. On the reservation we requested a feather free room, however this had not been arranged. I did ask at check-in if this had been sorted out and from the somewhat vague response my hopes were not high as we made our way up to the room. Just a liitle frustrating when you check-in late anyway, and then have to wait for housekeeping to come and change the bed linen before you can really relax, shower etc..

2. Found that the service at breakfast was a little on the slow side. Took more than 5 mins after being seated to find a waiter to simply place a hot drinks order. Maybe I am just too used to the exceptional levels of service at hotels in the Middle East, but I still felt that this was too long to wait...let alone then having to try and get the attention of a staff member, of which there appeared to be too few. Management at the hotel have already emailed me to apologise for this (which was appreciated) as I also raised it in feedback directly to the hotel.

We had a room facing into the centre of the hotel. This did not offer much of a view...but was probably quieter than one facing the street.

1  Thank ExpatNB
GHBerlin, Manager at Grand Hyatt Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear ExpatNB,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to give feedback on our hotel. Please be sure that your kind words will be shared with the entire team. Furthermore, I am pleased to read that our location suited you perfectly. I am sorry for the inconveniences and I want you to know that I will talk to the responsible colleagues to improve our service. We hope to welcome you back at Grand Hyatt Berlin and to prove that we are able to live up to your expectations.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,167)

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Room was very clean and quiet. Bathroom was exceptionally nice. Staff were all very friendly, and no problem about late check out at 2pm. Limousine service was very prompt, chauffeur was polite and friendly.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Julita F,

Thank you so much for your very positive feedback. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the design of our rooms. Your appraisal is what motivates our team most to provide excellent service every day. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

It is disappointing when a hitherto excellent hotel's standards appear to slip slightly on a further stay, though the staff remain professional and friendly, and it is hard to be specific about what is not quite right when it remains above average. The Club floor revamp has made a marginal improvement, though there are still no hot snacks in the evening. My room temperature could not be cooled below 20C at night. And at breakfast in the main (nearly empty) restaurant, the waiters still served single cups of coffee rather than providing a pot - with inherent delays in getting refills, despite very few patrons. Moreover, the scrambled egg was akin to a chopped up omelette. And on departure on a quiet Sunday, there was no help available with luggage. I have given the hotel the benefit of the doubt with the rating above, since the combination of issues was perhaps unusual. The management have promised a free night by way of compensation: it will be interesting to see if standards are back up to excellent levels.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Quodnumquamscis

Dear Quodnumquamscis,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to give feedback on our hotel. I am sorry that your expectations could not be met, but I can assure you that we work daily on improving our service. Please rest assured that your feedback was taken seriously. I have also carefully read your comments regarding the incident at breakfast. I am sorry for this unfortunate incident an you can be sure that this issue will be discussed internally to avoid future situations like this.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was so happy to stay this hotel and here are the some comments; - The location is perfect and close to everything, your proximity tour, musical, nigt life and shopping - excellent service including spa and fitness facility after your works (conciege service !!) - room is very useful both your work and private, stayed at 303, see small garden at room. Simply like it !!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Changho R,

Thank you so much for your very positive feedback. I was very pleased to read that you had a wonderful time during your stay with us. Your appraisal is what motivates our team most to provide excellent service every day. Moreover, I am glad that you had the opportunity to try our Club Olympus Spa & Fitness. I hope you did not miss one of our signature massages. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I have stayed in this hotel twice so far, and have NOTHING negative to say. Amazing experience. Hotel is super clean. Location is perfect and very accessible to EVERYTHING. Would recommend it anytime!

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
GHBerlin, Manager at Grand Hyatt Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Hussein C,

Thank you so much for your very positive feedback. I am pleased to read that our location suited you perfectly and that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you again as a guest at our hotel in very near future!

Best regards from Berlin,

Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is simply the best hotel I have ever stayed in.Ideal location in a lovely city.The cities hotels are only running at 61% occupancy due to the large number that have been recently built-this is why you should get an excellent deal pricewise (wherever you stay) and service that is way above standard.I joked with my partner that the design of one of the marble tiles in the bathroom made it look like there was dirt on it.That may illustrate the task of finding anything to fault in this hotel.The staff are truly professional and extremely friendly.The upgrade we paid (not much) for allowed us a superb complimentary breakfast,delicious afternoon tea/pastries and two hours of free alcohol and snacks in a comfortable lounge.The pool area overlooking the city was quiet and luxurious.The room was simply stunning..great to watch the mini-tv above the shaving mirror...robes/slippers/turn down service.I could go on and on but I guess you get the picture-just go and stay.Berlin is a beautiful and interesting city.The airport (Schonfeld) is a dated dump but the new airport is planned.We are already planning to go back as we didnt get around all the sites and will DEFINITELY stay at this incredible hotel.

Room Tip: pay the extra and get the upgrade to the 7th floor-you will save a fortune overall on your trip...

Dear Alan C,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share the experience of Grand Hyatt Berlin. Positive feedback like yours motivates us the most. I have read your kind words of appreciation and you can be sure that our staff will get to hear them as well. Furthermore, I am happy to read that you enjoyed the design of our rooms. Moreover, I am glad that you had the opportunity to try our Club Olympus Spa & Fitness. I hope you did not miss one of our signature massages. I am glad to read that you are planning your next stay with us.

Kindest regards from Berlin and we are looking forward welcoming you back,

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We spent 4 nights here in late March, early April. The hotel is a couple of hundred yards south west of Potsdammer S Bahn (overground) station, opposite the Arkady/ Arkaden shopping precinct. It's modern and spacious, but not particularly attractive, with Tiergarten about 7 minutes walk due north, and the Reichstag and Brandenburg Gate about double that in the same direction. The site of Hitler's Bunker is about 6 minutes walk north east, just south of the Adlon Hotel and Brandenburg Gate.
Our room was large, with a Bang and Olufsen flatscreen tv, and a smaller one in the bathroom with separate volume control. Sky News is available, along with BBC World.There are tea and coffee making facilities, but with powdered milk and no biscuits. A nice touch was the controllable lights at foot level by the bed for nocturnal bathroom trips.The Wet Room was great, with generous good quality toiletries. The large window blind was electronically operated. Great fun. Beware using the hotel lifts. They can only be operated with the insertion of your room key card. If someone in the lift calls for a lower floor before you, when they get out you will have to re-programme it with your card if you want to go higher. We didn't realise this, got out to walk the stairs, but all exit doors are closed for security reasons, so we set off the alarms by forcing one otherwise we would never have got out. Perhaps that's why the staff were always relieved to see us go out.
Breakfasts were very extensive, both hot and cold, but the very attentive service was a bit hit and miss. For example, one morning our omelettes were brought to our table, then we got up to add extras for 30 seconds, and when we returned our table had been cleared, despite extensive signs of occupancy. Bizarre. Mind you, the coffee was to die for. The focus of the hotel is very much on Germans and Americans, as witnessed by the complimentary daily papers.
The shopping precinct had a large variety of fast food restaurants, which was enough for us at night. The best bar we found was Oscar's next door. Drink prices were roughly the same as in Britain, perhaps 10% more, fast food about the same, supermarket food quite a bit cheaper.
Regarding sites to visit, we would suggest as number one the Topographie Des Terrors, a picture and narrative account of the rise and fall of Hitlerism, which is situated in a low building on the site of the former Gestapo HQ. Entrance is free, and it must have the only non-charging toilets in Berlin. Allow a few hours. Checkpoint Charlie is a hundred yards or so further on , on the street's junction with Friedrichstrasse. Of particular interest is the privately run Berlin Wall Museum, which is adjacent, for the human interest stories of would-be escapers, though it is not cheap at 12 euros 50.
On a lighter note, particularly for ladies, is the Ka De Ve department store, 35 minutes to walk south down Potsdammer Strasse (we did it!), but which can be reached on a direct line from the Potsdammer Platz Underground Station. The food hall on the sixth floor is claimed to be the finest and largest in the world, and having seen it, I wouldn't argue. It is quite staggering.
Finally, transport. To get to the hotel by train from Schonberg airport, you will need an ABC area ticket costing 3 euros 20, which you can buy from a kiosk in the Arrivals Hall. Beware touts as you approach the outside rail station. They get used tickets from passengers arriving at the airport, then try to sell the useless ones on.The train, the RB19, runs once an hour from the station, takes 30 minutes with just one stop between there and Potsdammer Platz.
Around central Berlin, an AB ticket costing 2 euros 60 will suffice, which can be used also on the trams and buses. BUT, the station machines selling them are complex and only in German. We saw even locals give up on them. Look instead for newsagents with the logo BVG outside. Best to buy a few tickets then activate them in the necessary machine on the platform, which validate them for 2 hours.

Room Tip: Overlooking Marlene Dietrich Plaza is quiet.
1  Thank Cynffig

Dear Cynffig,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share the experience of your stay at Grand Hyatt Berlin. I am sorry that your expectations where disappointed concerning a misunderstanding at breakfast, but I can assure you that we work daily on improving our service. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed staying in our modern rooms. As a five-star hotel, the comfort and wellbeing of our guests is always our highest concern. I am glad to read that you enjoyed our location in the heart of Berlin. I am sorry for the incident and I hope that you will again give us the chance to welcome you back to Grand Hyatt Berlin in the future.