“Clean, comfortable but too hot”

Sheraton Berlin Grand Hotel Esplanade
Ranked #142 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Excellent service from everyone in the hotel.
Spotlessly clean throughout the hotel, beds comfortable but room far too hot, air con didn't seem to work, informed that the air conditioning doesn't start cooling the room until the OUTSIDE Temp. reaches 19 degrees.
The floor to ceiling windows gave a fantasic view and made the room very light but as no blind the curtains had to be closed most of the time.
Very expensive mini bar, no complementary water, 6 euros for a bottle of water,
Small swimming pool, felt uncomfortable to use with others as felt you were invading their personal space.
10 minute walk to the U-bahn but the No.100 bus stop is less than 2 minutes across the main road.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 May 2012

A recent business trip saw me stay for 2 nights at this hotel, located in the centre of Berlin near to the Zoo (about 2km). Upon arrival the taxi was able to drive me to the door under a huge canopy and I was met by the hotel doorman who was willing to help with bags. Nice start! Reception and the bar area are large, plenty of places to sit, if a little dark. Reception was not busy and I was greeted by a smiling receptionist who spoke perfect English (I did try my German, unsuccessfully). After getting my key, I headed up in the lift and found my room.

First impressions were mixed - fair size room, flat screen TV, comfortable bed, tastefully decorated - but I immediately noticed that I was opposite residential houses and their windows whilst the hotel room had pretty much floor to ceiling windows and no blind or even net curtains.Just massive curtains that when pulled plunged the room into darkness. But this was the only way to get some privacy!

On further investigation I found some things in the room needed a fresh coat of paint, and some tidying up particularly the bathroom, which to be honest was showing signs of age and heavy use. The usual stuff, broken towel rail, mould starting to show in the sealant around the shower screen, paint flaking, a bit dirty in places (behind the toilet, behind the door etc - in fact the bathroom was really not 5 star and would struggle to make 3.

One thing that I hate about any hotel is the "standard" temperature which most seem to think should be set to "very hot". Although the room suggested it had air conditioning, it was completely useless. Added to the problem was that Berlin was in the grip of a mini heatwave and opening the windows only made the room hotter!! Reception advised me the air conditioning to my room was not working properly - and I had to ask for a fan.

My other real pet hate over this type of hotel was the additional charging. Wifi was €10 for 24 hours, and mini bar was one of the most expensive I had experienced (for example a 250ml bottle of water was €6) and the breakfast, although good, was another €22. Fortunately I had booked online through a website and I was able to get the room with breakfast for €90 a night.

One other thing to note the hotel is not in the most ideal location and the U-Bahn is a fair trek to get to.

Overall, I would say this is NOT 5 star. It sits between 3 and 4 and does need to improve in decor, cleanliness and pricing for additional items.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the residential area if you want privacy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank bluejonny
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I did love this hotel because it was spacious, comfortable, and very nice. I got there a few hours before check-in time and they gave me a room early for no extra charge. The ironic problem with nice hotels is you pay for things you normally get free everywhere else such as breakfast and wifi. The other problem was the location isn't ideal but with public transportation it is not too bad. There is a nice pool to swim and relax by. If the wifi were included, I would happily give 5 stars but it kinda sucks having to pay $10/day for internet. Everything else was superb though,

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Quite new and stylish hotel. Very friendly people work at reception.
We had room for 2 adults with separate beds and one extra bed for kid. Room is big, clean, with good bathroom and very big wardrobe and drawers - enough to keep all your things. All furniture is new and good quality.
Hotel has very nice pool , open 10-22. We visited it every day in evening, no crowds, may be 1-3 other guests shared the pool with us. SPA and pool are very clean.
Breakfast wasn't included to my rate, price was 15 euro and we had breakfast at other places. Unfortunately there is no many restaurants around, may be only in other hotels nearby.
Location is not so good for people who want to use public transport. Nearest u-bahn is about 15 min walk. But comparing with other cities in Germany - taxi is not expensive at all, so we used it all the time.
Hotel location is very good if you travel with family and kids: ZOO is 15 min walking, and district is very quiet and green. Very big park Tiergarten is just 5-10 minutes walking.
We had windows to the yard, to appartment house, it's very quiet place. If you have windows to street, view would be probably better - to small river or water channel, but small noise from Lutzowufer strasse may disturb you. Traffic is very light, but still exists.
I like hotel Esplanade very much. We spent relaxed 4 days there.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Stayed overnight for a business meeting near the hotel. The hotel is comfortable, it has a lovely esplanade and the service is very good. I had an Italian dish for dinner and a German beer, while enjoying some of the good weather in Berlin. We have a close park for jogging and the hotel has god facilities for sports. The room was comfortable, insonorization appropriate. Good breakfast although does not stand for the difference. No natural orange juice, and common selection of bread but do not take it wrong, it still is a good breakfast. Good working conditions in the room or I one of the tables just outside the hotel. taxis always available. The price of the room although a company rate seemed pretty honest - less that 125 euros!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Beautiful Hotel with very nice premisses, excelent location and spectacular Breakfast...but when comes to the Room....I stayed for 1 week in a double bed room, big , clean, very functional, maybe a little dark for my taste and the air conditioning definitely wasn't working, despite the 4 or 5 times I claimed to the concierge: answer-- it is working fine. Nobody came to the room to check and in the first day of spring in a 27 degrees weather time...I was cooking inside the room...will not come back

Room Tip: before check in visit the room....
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank shragah
An EasyToBook.com traveler
Zurich
Reviewed 19 April 2012

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank An EasyToBook.com traveler