“Superior Hotel!!!”

Sheraton Berlin Grand Hotel Esplanade
Ranked #135 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 17 January 2010

We stayed at this hotel from 02/01/10 - 09/01/10, the river side room was very big and comfortable with nice bathroom too.Nice king size bed with a lot of pelows :).Big LCD TV and nice office desc.Breackfast was very tastefull and everything was every day fresch.The personal was very helpfull and in a good mude.The Harrys Bar was very good with big collection of coctails and ecxellent also.Nice location at the river of the hotel to walk if you like untill Kudamm or Potzdamer square.Not near to the hotel metro station,you need 10min for nearest.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 January 2010

I`ll stay only in this hotel in Berlin! Excellent service.

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed 5 January 2010

My friend and I stayed here for four nights during new year and had a great time! The hotel was immaculately clean, very modern and spacious. Rooms were comfortable and a reasonable size. Service was great, staff at reception very helpful and provided answers to our many queries regarding what we should do, where we should eat etc.

Location is not great, there is not really an awful lot within a short walk of the hotel. However there is a metro station a few minutes away and you can take a train for 1.30 euros to the zoo station, which is only two stops away. There are many shops and restaurants near the zoo.

We ate in the restaurant closest to the reception one night. My meal was very nice but 16 euros for spinach ravioli and 4 euros for a 200ml bottle of coke seemed a little steep!
My only other criticism is that there are no tea making facilities in the room and to have a cup of tea in the lounge was 6 euros!!!
Overall though I had a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2009

Firstly, the hotel is well located and you can't help but be impressed when you arrive - the lobby area is very impressive etc. Staff are friendly and fluent in English. Check-in was not a problem.
When we arrived in our room, again you could not fail to be impressed. Nice and modern looking, bathroom was a good size and very nice. The problem came when we looked out of our window - no river view as we had booked! I thought I had maybe mis-read my booking but no, I had indeed booked a "river view" room. All I could see was the back of the foyer/lobby roof all made of glass and had bright blue lights shining back at us. Now bear in mind there is no river running through Berlin, but more of a canal, I still expected more from the view from our room. Anyway, I proceeded to make my way to reception to say there must have been some mix-up with the room. The girl on reception was fairly helpfull in that she arranged for another room higher up in the hotel but did admit that none of the rooms have much of a view - bear that in mind if you think of paying the extra for the "river view"!!!
Finally got our new room which did have a slightly better view, but the cleanliness was not up to the standard you would expect. Clearly some guest had children with them before us as the window in certain light was covered in small hand and finger prints. Again, not much of a problem just another little one to add to the list. Then behind the curtains at the top of the window were cobwebs which had clearly been there some time. Again, just another little problem.
The bathroom was nice but we did notice drainage smells every now and then, but having stayed in many hotels in London you get used to this smell!!!!
My biggest complaint comes with the lack of any supply of tea and coffee making facilities in the room. I searched high and low and could not find anything at all (other that the ridiculously over-priced mini bar!) so I contacted reception again and they confirmed they do not provide this facility. Well in all my time travelling and staying in hotels of every class/star rating known to man, I have never known not ever been supplied with this. It wouldn't be so bad if breakfast was not so expensive - somewhere in the region of £27. But the girl "helpfully" said that we could order room service of tea/coffee if we wanted!!!! Still the bottled water at £6 a throw in the room would quwnch your thirst!
On a positive, the restaurants and bars in the hotel are excellent. No faults there you will be pleased to hear.

Overall, we found this hotel a bit of a let-down. Just minor things that you would expect a hotel of this standard to get right. But it seems sometimes the more you pay, the less you get. But I have to say what a great place Berlin is. Fantastic at Christmas. Will definately go back, just not to this hotel

1  Thank sparkycurtis
Reviewed 30 December 2009

efficient and discrete service, warm atmospher, good restaurants.Very appropriate location in the center of Berlin.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2009

Oh, I loved this hotel. It is gay friendly as I traveled there with my man partner. The food was magnificent and the staff lovely. My only problem was who ever had the room before my man lover and I did not flush the toilet, and it made the entire room smell like a British Gay Bar. The hotel staff assisted by flushing the toilet 60 or so times and spraying some deodorant around. Love the place, will take my other lover there next month.

Richard McDonald

1  Thank Mcdo1ric
Reviewed 23 December 2009

We stayed in an executive suite, and it was really nice. Staff was helpful and service minded. Good food in the restaurant. Breakfast a bit expensive (48 euros for 2 people), standard ok.
Location ok, we took taxi a lot because it was freezing cold this particular weekend, but it takes about 15-20 minutes to walk to KaDeWe and Kufurstendamm. Would stay here again.