“Nice budget hotel”

Hotel Air in Berlin
Ranked #275 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Very nice hotel in Berlin for a good price! Two big rooms connected to one, renovated bathroom and two new TV sets. No traffic disturbance and a balcony to the backyard! Only setback is that there are no free WIFI but you can buy accesscodes to Telekom.de in the reception. Secure parking. Very interesting walk to the room via an elevator that did not go all the way! Could be a problem for disabled if there are no other routes that we could not find. The shopping district with the department store KaDeWe and numerous shops is just around the corner. We ate a huge and good breakfast at Noahs restaurant at Wittenbergplatz.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Stefan P

Reviewed 23 June 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Air in Berlin for three nights during very warm days. The hotel does not have air conditioning, but opening the windows and doors gave the room a good draft. The room we got was HUGE, by any standards, getting to the room was a trip and a half, having to take the elevator to the fourth floor, down a set of stairs, going around the entire hotel, up two set of stairs, and voila, the room. The receptionist said that it would be worthwhile, and it was! beautiful terrace, lots of room, comfortable bed, and a bathroom with an enormous tub. No shower, which disappointed me at the beginning, but honestly, I took a warm bath every night after a tiring touring day (being a tourist is exhausting), and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
The hotel is very well situated, 3 minute walk from the ubahn, and about 40 minutes from the airport taking the express bus and one stop on the ubahn. There are lots of restaurants and shopping near by.
The breakfast was ok, typical continental style, fresh bread, good coffee. The best part was that they have a nice outside area where you can sit for breakfast, and that was very enjoyable. The staff was very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: We had room 517, although it's hard to get to, was ample and beautiful. Very quiet. If you hav...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fpp_MR
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We stayed at the Air in Berlin for a 3 nights short stay in Berlin, and from our experience would thoroughly recommend it and enjoyed our stay. As previous contributors mentioned, it is easy to get to from Tegal Airport (Bus X9, U Bahn/Bus 100) and from landing to check-in, took just over an hour. We arrived at hotel at 1230, and although early, our room was ready and we were allowed to check-in straight away. The receptionist was both helpful and friendly, speaking perfect English, and it would be worth mentioning that all the staff we met could not have been better, whether it was just saying good morning or to answering our questions about our visit to Berlin. The room allocated (109) was large and had all the facilities we needed. It was immaculately clean with modern furnishings and a very comfortable bed. The reasonably sized en-suite only had a shower which suited us, and had nice touches such as shower gel and liquid soap. The room also had a CRT TV with English language channels (CNN/BBC) and there was also a reasonably priced mini bar (beer 2 euro’s). One thing to consider if the weather is hot is that the room doesn’t have air condition although this didn’t affect us. Breakfast was normal continental style, more than adequate with a good selection of fresh rolls, meats, cheese’s etc. Besides the breakfast area we were able to have our breakfast outside which was great in the nice weather. Clearly with any city hotel, location is very important and I feel this could not be better. The general area is very nice with many restaurants and shops in the direct locality, the hotel being about 150m from Wittenburgplatz, which in my opinion is one of the nicer squares I saw in Berlin. The hotel is situated near the Kurfürstendamm which again in my experience was one of the best Avenues in Berlin with a good mixture of shops and restaurants. To travel further into the city the U Bahn is situated in Wittenburgplatz, however the hotel is only a 2 minute walk from Bus 100 stop, which is the unofficial tour bus., its route going past most of the main points of interest. In consideration of all the factors, price/location/staff/rooms etc , as stated I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and would stay there again if we return to Berlin. A couple of tips concerning Berlin, the transport system is great and based on trust (we saw no ticket checking), however we bought the 72 hour welcome card which gave us unlimited travel and discounts at many restaurants/attractions etc,. Even without this though, Berlin is great value with the restaurants etc reasonably priced. There is one negative though, the cyclists (I am a cyclist)! This is a cycling city and it is worth double checking what part of the pavement is dedicated to them, they seem to rule the roost and how we weren’t mowed down I don’t know!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dun123
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Nice 3 stars hotel with standard size bedrooms, small basic bathroom and very kind staff. The best is its central location: fantastic to go and back from any part of Berlin. Breakfast buffet basic but enough, good cheese and all kind of breads. Clean and tidy. We went for a short holidays and we will repeat in this hotel if we have the chance to go back to visit this fantastic city.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xocoaddict
Reviewed 11 March 2013

After almost 20 years of traveling to Berlin on business, and in that time having swayed in some of the best and the worst hotels in Berlin, this one is a real gem.

I spend a week every year in Berlin and my stay involves attending a big trade fair during the day and networking, entertaining and enjoying the city's nightlife at night.

Having access to clean, functional accommodation which is safe and central is the requirement. Hotel Air Berlin offers more than this - what makes this hotel stand out for me lies within the friendliness and consideration of their staff - a unique and valued quality that I was not expecting. The staff all knew my name, I was greeted with smiles whenever I entered or left the hotel and I honestly felt that my stay with them was truly valued.

Management and the owners were very visual during my stay and everyone was very welcoming!

Other blocks to tick:

Easy access to the U-bahn
Close proximity to many shops and good restaurants - all within walking distance
It's central location allows for quick and easy access to all other parts of Berlin

This is a good 3 star hotel. Rooms are functional, clean and comfortable.

Breakfast is sufficient and serviced by friendly staff.

I will gladly return.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank walbots
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My son and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on a B&B basis. We picked this hotel because it looked pretty and it’s very close to the U-Bahn (Wittenbergplatz is about a 3 minute walk away).
Although check-in was 3pm, we arrived at noon and asked if they’d look after our luggage. They allowed us an early check in for free!
The staff were very helpful and friendly. Nearly everyone spoke English, but I attempted some German anyway. One of the waitresses didn’t speak English but we coped brilliantly!
The room was clean and very warm. It might have been -2 outside but inside was tropical! The bathroom had no bath and the shower had a shower curtain. Despite how careful I was, I managed to soak the whole bathroom whenever I took a shower!
There was a good flat screen tv and we quite enjoyed watching films and the news in german.
Breakfast was really nice. There was a selection of breads, sliced cheeses, soft cheeses, tomatoes, cucumber, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, bacon, ham, salami, oranges, apples, kiwis, fruit salad, honey, jams, chocolate spread, muesli, cornflakes and rice krispies. Tea and coffee was free but if you wanted a latte or cappuccino it was 3 euros.
This hotel is well located. There’s a good sized supermarket called Kaisers just across from Wittenbergplatz U-Bahn. There are plenty of fast food places and quite a few restaurants nearby. There’s an Asian supermarket on the same street. We had a great time seeing all the sights and lived on sausages and Berliner Pilsner for 3 days!!
If I get to go to Berlin again, I’d definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2012

According to the average Tripadvisor review, this hotel was supposed to be a good 3-star. It might be a 3-star in general, but the room 401 is NOT.

The bed was comfortable and "the main room" pretty much as expected. However, the curtains are too thin, so you won't get to sleep in the dark unless it's dark outside. The hotel is close to a busy street, and it was some traffic noise (in spite of double windows).

The bathroom is terrible:
1. The bathroom was quite dark. Only on tiny spot in the ceiling.
2. The faucets (sink and shower) were quite heavy. They need lubrication (or a replacement)
3. The toilet didn't stop flushing until i jerked the flush button several times.
4. There's a shower curtain. I find those curtains to be rather disgusting, and I don't recall having seen on in a 3-star hotel before.
5. Even though the water pressure in the faucet is normal, there's no pressure in the shower. (The hose looked ok.) When the shower head was placed in its holder, I had to lean up against the wall to "get wet". And because there's no pressure, I couldn't hose the shower curtain. Not very hygienic.

This standard belongs to 1 and 2 star hotels, not 3+ star.

The reception area is more like a (lousy) bar, so the first impression wasn't the best either.
When you leave the reception area, entering the hotel, you have pass through a narrow hallway. That's where they serve breakfast. i wouldn't be very comfortable eating breakfast there (which I didn't) when people come and go 5 cm behind my chair.

The hotels interior/decor was tasteful. It's an old but well kept hotel - at least if you disregard the room 401, that is.

I have stayed at many 3-star hotels through the years. I rate Air in Berlin as my poorest 3-star experience so far (based on room 401). I'm a bit surprised by the hotel's many good reviews.

If you arrive by S-bahn, the hotel is a 10 minute walk from Zoologischer garten. By U-bahn, the Wittenbergplatz station (right next to KaDeWe) is a 3 minute walk from the hotel.

I payed €190 for two nights (Friday-Sunday).

Room Tip: Avoid room 401!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo