“Nice and clean with a super breakfast...”

A&O Berlin Kolumbus
Ranked #245 of 358 Speciality Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We stayed for 3 nights and had a very pleasent weekend. The location of the hotel is about 10 min with the tram from Alexanderplatz and it takes 5 min. to walk to the tram station. The room was nice and clean. but the view was terrible! So if you want a pretty view, this is not the place. The bathroom is located outside the room. You enter a little entre, wich you share with the neighbour room, and each of the 2 hotel room has their bathroom located in the common entre. Hope you undestand what I mean :)
Their breakfast is very very good. There's a lot to choose from...such as warm eggs, 6-7 kind of bread and cerial and a lot of meat cold cuts
So if you don't mind a hotel loacated a little outside the center of Berlin, I would say this hotel is good...and the staff are very kind and helpful!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bettina1973

Reviewed 8 October 2010

The hotel was fine, the staff friendly, they suggested the Berlin welcome card (on a side note this is very usefull for anyone spending 2 or more days in Berlin). Also the 8 euro, they charge for the breakfast is soooo totally worth it. The meats are delicious and it is enough to fill you up until 4 or 5 in the evening, and both me and my wife did just that.

Now, the only complain we had was the location, the website suggested it was 15 mins away from the city centre. However this is the reality - it will take you about 7 mins or so to walk to the nearest train station (S Bahn) and one train will take you to Alexanderplatz in 15 mins. From Alexanderplatz you have the options for connections via U Bahn and other modes of transtport. So in reality it will take about 30 to 40 mins for you to get to the centre. But overall this hotel was clean and nice, it is more of a hostel with an option of a pvt bathroom. Good for budget travellers who need a hotel with no frills and basically a place to shower and crash for the night.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2010

I have just got back from a stay at this hotel - I am doing an MA course at university and I was there on a field trip tos study Berlin. (in a large group of full time and part time students - many of us however study part time and have full time jobs.

The hotel is located a very long way away from the centre of Berlin, and took over 30 mins when on the tram to get to Alexandereplatz.

There were three of us sharing a room for 3 night, but alas there were only two actual beds and 1 small fold out sofa bed with a mattress that was the thinnest I have ever seen on a sofa bed. The shower althogh good is in the tinyest cubicle with no space to wash properly. The rooms mini bar consisted of a bottle of sparling water (no fridge) left on the shelf which cost 2.80 euros.

This aside the worst thing about this hotel was the other guests. When we arrived there was a group of roudy italian girls swearing and smoking and generally being noisy. The hotel seemed to be oblivious to the noise and showed no signs of asking them to calm down. I guess they were 16-18 years old but several of them were served at the bar. They shoved us around in the lift and were just out of control. But they didn't annoy me as much as the shool kids doing a field trip for economics as they were chanting, drunk as farts until 4am every morning. Again they didn't seem old enough to be served in the bar but were getting drunk every night and I saw them purchasing beer without any checks. One of them spoke to me (I think he was trying to chat me up until I pointed out that I was 30 which is why I know it was a school field trip). The bar ran dry for us every night, and we were about the last people to be served by the bar staff who were particually cold to us, I am guessing this was because we were actually old enough to buy beer.

There was a group of junoir school kids that were running riot banging on doors all evening and messing about with the lifts all night and squealing.

Breakfast was very average, the bar too small - and full of drunk children.

All in I am sure its calmer in a young offenders institute which is what this hotel felt like and I really wouldn't recommend staying here unless your 15 years old and want to get drunk with no questions asked.

My only hope is that my University got the hotel rooms really cheaply - as stated there were only two actual tiny single beds in our room.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone at all apart from school kids - who will be fine to just go wild ! Anyone else - I recommend you avoid it like the plague and head somewhere else. If I wasn't on a uni feild trip I would have checked out on the first night and paid whatever it took to stay anywhere else.

It is officially the worst hotel I have ever been to ....

...... really!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank envbecky
Reviewed 15 November 2009

It doesn't look much from the outside and the rooms are a bit plain, but the beds are comfortable and the dining room and bar areas are nice

Stayed: November 2009
Reviewed 24 March 2009

Third time we've stayed in about 18 months and would not think of staying anywhere else in Berlin. It is clean, comfortable and welcoming. The staff are efficient and friendly and the breakfast is excellent - lots of choice, well presented and good coffee! The bar is always open and is great for a last drink before bed - good night's sleep in warm comfortable room. The first time we also overlooked the factory but saw it as part of the history of the area rather than an eyesore. (I guess it depends on your general outlook on life.) For some people the 20 minute No. 6 tram ride to/from Alexanderplatz may be an arduous trek but to us it was fine and full of interest - especially when a guy boarded with his fridge. I can't think of anything negative to say about Hotel Kolumbus and can't wait to visit again. What a find.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DustBunnySheffield
Reviewed 22 March 2009

We were a group of 20+ people on a school trip.

We named this hotel, the house of mouse. This is truly Mickey Mouse's playhouse. The beds are mouse sized and suitable for a tiny, stuffed Mickey Mouse, but not a full grown person.

Cleanliness was up to mouse standards. Not people standards.

The pillows are thin and you have to fold them over to use them. My bed contained what I pray was sand. However, my friend was not so lucky. He encountered a midnight "visitor"...a bug of some klind.

There was private toilet outside the room.

• Stayed: March 2009
3  Thank Star-Framily
Reviewed 25 May 2008

I was in the hotel as a teacher with 78 pupils.It was value for money and the youngsters were suprised about the rooms and about breakfast.I would not suggest it for individual travellers who long for luxury, but for more or less low budget and for schools it's perfeect!

• Stayed: May 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank diana56