“Quirky Hotel, but not necessarily in a good way”
Review of Augusta Hotel

Augusta Hotel
Ranked #244 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Hotel Augusta was an interesting hotel. My friends and I stayed here on a college trip and found it a little too quirky for our taste. Reception was helpful, if a little cold. he rooms were clean and decorated nicely, but the hotel is laid out in a very odd way. You have to climb stairs to get to the reception (hauling a 50+ pound suitcase, a 20 pound backpack and a large purse up the stairs was kind of a nightmare), and then go through a series of elevators and stairs to reach your room. In one room, we had to go up a flight, take the elevator, and then go half a flight down to reach a hallway which contained the rooms. Above and below us were doctors' and dentists' offices, so that was a little different. In another room, you had to go down the elevator, across an outdoor courtyard, up another elevator and a flight of stairs to reach the room. After a few days, my whole group grew frustrated with the continuous up and down and in and out of the hotel. Other than the odd layout, the breakfast was well-stocked and filling, and the hotel was in a favorable location, just a few steps away from Ku'damm and maybe a 10 minute walk to KaDeWe. Also, we found it very helpful that both a U-Bahn and S-Bahn station were within a block or two of the hotel. This made travel around Berlin very easy and convenient.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kailey P

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We booked one of the suites in this hotel for a second trip to Berlin. We chose the location based on proximity to the Zoo Berlin U-bahn stop. Our youngest son was in Berlin for a year on a scholarship--staying about 10 minute subway ride from Hotel Augusta--and our oldest son was traveling with us, also booked into Hotel Augusta. A cautionary word--there was no a/c in the suite we had. We enjoyed the balcony and the huge bathroom, but even though we were there in May, it was quite warm without a/c. It is a maze of a hotel--up stairs to registration--down the elevator and across the courtyard to go up another elevator and then up more stairs to the top floor suite. Be prepared if you have heavy luggage! Although the hotel advertises it has a safe in the room, there were no batteries to operate the safe. We had to call the front desk and they brought a key to operate the safe. All in all, a bit of a quirky, old style hotel, but very comfortable bed and nice breakfast included. I would recommend the hotel to friends.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I loved my room at this hotel. I had a Superior double and asked for a balcony. I had a spacious, covered private balcony with window boxes full of pansies. The room was large with a sofa and chair and a wall of tall windows. There's a coffee machine in the room which you can also use for hot water for tea. No toiletries provided apart from all-in-one soap and no info about the hotel in the room. A very good, very reasonably priced breakfast is served in a charming room which also has a balcony with a couple of tables. The hotel is on the corner of the main shopping street Ku'damm and there are very pretty tree-d side streets with cafes and restaurants. There is also a beautiful-looking tea room next door plus it is minutes away from a Ubahn station.
There were a few drawbacks. I was on the third floor and there really are a lot of stairs (the receptionist helped me when I arrived). The bed wasn't the most comfortable I've slept in and the room wasn't serviced that well. There was noise early in the morning from garbage collectors. However, I would put all this to one side and choose Hotel Augusta again.

Room Tip: If you book a Superior room, ask for a balcony
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HookedOnTravel255103
Reviewed 11 June 2014

If you want to trip in Berlin - choose Augusta Hotel.
Vary good location: 10 min from S-Bahm Zoo.To S-Bahm Alexanderplats - 15 min.
Lovely personal, they helped me to park my car, to get green sticker.
Don't use U-Bahm, very difficult to understand.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Reason for not getting more stars are their small beds in their standard double rooms. I arrived with my 18 year old son and had booked a double room, which we have done at many hotels before. The bed was suitable for 1,5 person, but there was no indication of this when we booked the hotel. Then we would have found an alternativ as this was a bit too tight for mom and son. Parking is on the street, but free. Location is perfect, next to u-bahn and great shops. Warm breakfast was boring. Sausages and scrambled eggs. Only very very hard boiled eggs, no soft boiled. But choice of cheese etc was excellent. Very clean and nice everywhere.

Room Tip: Be careful when ordering a double room. Beds are very very narrow. Not normal, European double beds...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank linelos
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The room was fine, if not excellent. Big, enough air due also to the hight, a bit labyrinth-like (room in another, adjacent building), but that didn't bother after the first time, two to three minutes. In the room TV, wlan (wifi for some), shower, fridge (minibar for some). Cosiest bed and linens (pillow especially) in a long line of hotel stuff. Breakfast left little to hope for, fresh and tasty all around. Staff ok, location top notch. Good value for the money.

Room Tip: Not too low on the Kurfürstendamm side.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The Augusta has a wonderful location just off the Ku-Damm and some great rooms. The furniture is a bit random, hover, and the rooms are not very user-friendly. In terms of service, the hotel odes not seem to have sufficient staff. The reception desk was not very successful in dealing with my requests for a change of rooms, and after a lot of back and fro, I had to settle for a very large room (which I did not want) looking onto Kudamm (which I also did not want).

I still can recommend it for those, who want to be in the thick of it and not spend too much time in their hotel room.

Room Tip: rooms to the yard are quiet, though a bit dark on the lower floors.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business