“Can only agree”

GreenLeadersGold level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Can only agree”
Reviewed 29 June 2012 via mobile

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel (returned to the US this afternoon from Berlin) and found it to be just as advertised by other reviewers. Basically a good hotel for the money. I like the location - not a great street, but very close to a great street, without the price. My room was quiet, even though right next to an elevator. The desk clerks were nice, well informed and helpful. I seem to have raised the average age of the hotel patrons by about 10 years. Mostly young people seem to come, often in groups. Bikes are for rent in front of the hotel.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank RobLaw47
Dear RobLaw47,

it’s been a real pleasure to read your great feedback on Tripadvisor.
Please contact us next time prior to you stay, so we can allocate you a quiet bedroom away from the elevators.
On behalf of my team I would like to thank you for your visit and hope to see you again when you are back in Berlin next time.

+49 30 887777-0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Overall, I thought the rooms were fine, nothing special, but clean, location was great for being near the luxury shopping district, which was why my company booked this hotel, but I would not stay here again due to a very rude front desk clerk, Julia. When I arrived, which was early, I think around noon, I was told that rooms weren't ready until 2pm. I explained that I had just arrived from Los Angeles and would appreciate it if I could get into my room sooner. Her response was, "we can't guarantee it." I'm sorry, but it was the middle of the week, I doubt every room was booked and that with a little extra effort they could have accommodated my request. I sat in the lobby and did some work while waiting, at1:30, after watching Julia check two more guests in who arrived after me, I asked if my room was available, it was. I wonder if she would have ever told me if I hadn't asked, I was literally sitting right in front of her. I completely understand that hotels need time to prepare rooms between two bookings, but I would have appreciated a sincere effort to try to accommodate me and for hat reason alone I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear Michelle C,

We appreciate you taking the time to give us some valuable feedback on Tripadvisor.
Oon behalf of our entire staff here at the art’otel berlin city center west I would like to apologize for the concerns you have about your experience at our hotel.

I had a look into our system and can confirm that we were fully booked during the time you were staying with us. The other guests, which were checked in already, had paid for the previous night already in order for them to get access to the rooms earlier. I am very sorry if you feel that the behaviour of my receptionist was not acceptable. Please be ensured that I have discussed this with her personally so we can inform our guests more specifically next time. Thanks for bringing this to my attention and please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused to you. We obviously always try to provide the rooms to our guests as soon as possible, however the check out time is only at 12 noon, so it might take up until 2pm to get the rooms cleaned again..

We appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit, we can meet or exceed your expectations.

Hotel manager
Email: khagenbucher@pphe.com
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This newly renovated hotel is a good choice if you want to stay in west Berlin. Only one block away from the shopping street Kurfûrstendamm and surraunded with very good restaurants near Ludwigkirchplatz. Also only 10min walking to Savignyplatz with even more good restaurants.
The hotel has a good quality breakfast, a small gym and sauna with a relax area. The hotel bar is cosy. The room is rather spacy and equipped with everything you need; minibar, complimentary internet, safe, flatscreen TV, coffe making facilities, air conditioning and a comfortable bed. The bathroom has good lighting and a magnifying mirror.
I had hopped for new sheets once during a 4 night stay but otherwise everything was excellent.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear Juhani T,

big THANKS for sharing your experience with fellow travellers. We were happy to hear you enjoyed your overall stay.
Thank you for your comment regarding our linen change. Please be informed that we do change them every third day, so please accept our sincerest apologies if this hasn't happened during your stay. Please contact us next time directly so we can sort this out for you straight away.
Looking forward to welcome you back soon again.

Have a great week,

West Sussex, UK
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Stayed for a couple of nights as we held a team meeting for around 15 people in the hotel.

Firstly, the hotel is in a great location, took a taxi in from Tegel as the new airport is not yet open, took about 30 min and €20. Good greeting at reception, foyer area is specious airy and pleasant with the bar one side and restaurant one side and the bar the other. I liked the whole Andy warhol art theme, although I have to say the carpet was did make me feel a little queasy!

Ate in the restaurant both lunchtimes, food fresh and well cooked. Breakfasts were good, nice selection of cereals, cooked food and the usual cold meats and cheese. Although they have an excellent coffee machine the speed at which it dispenses coffee caused huge queues every morning!

Room was spacious and comfortable, looked clean and fresh with a very efficient air conditioning system.

One complaint was that the wifi was awful while I was there and worked only sporadically which was very annoying. The staff seemed disinterested in helping, which was a shame because otherwise they seemed very courteous.

Would recommend, very good value and well located.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new wing
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear NikonKing,

thank you very much for the lovely feedback you have given us. I was very happy to hear that you have enjoyed our hotel and especially our new meetings & events facilities that much!
I am pleased to inform you that we have fixed our internet. We just get a new television system which allows you to use the internet via your TV as well, so therefore it didn't work perfectly during your stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies if this has caused you any inconvenience.
On behalf of my team I would like to thank you for your visit and hope to see you again when you are back in Berlin.

Best wishes,

Los Angeles
Reviewed 11 June 2012

PROS:
* Quiet (at night)
* One block away from Kurfürstendamm
* Nice breakfast buffet
* Free, fast internet (> 1Mb/s)
CONS:
* High tech, RFID room key has a brain of its own

My family of 3 went to this hotel in May 2012. It is not located in the heart of all the Berlin attractions, but close enough. It is only one block away from the famous kurfürstendamm, walking to the nearest subway station takes about 10 to 15 minutes. We took the subway to go sightseeing, but when we came from the Tegel airport with heavy luggage, we took a taxi to this hotel. It is quiet at night, but during the day the street noise is a little noticeable.

I got 3 rooms through Priceline bidding, for $66 each. The breakfast buffet and the front desk service are pretty good. My only issue was with the high tech wireless roomkey, The small knob is hard to grasp, and if you don't open the door within 5 seconds, it locks automatically. It took us a while to "get the grip", literally.

Overall this is a good deal for the price we paid.

Room Tip: try to get a high floor room not facing Lietzenburger Straße, there is a pub right across this stree...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
khagenbucher, Manager at art'otel berlin kudamm, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear Fengaw,

thank you very much for the lovely and constructive feedback you have given us.
I am sorry to hear you had difficulties with our key system. I will definitely discuss this with my team so we can provide more extensive information upon check in.

Best wishes,

Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights with my husband and 2 other couples. We all loved it, bedrooms very funky, great decor, lovely showers, comfy bed, air con. Staff were great, very helpful. We hired bikes at the hotel for 10 euros a day everyday to get about which was a fantastic way to see the city. Didn't have breakfast in hotel as very expensive, but we went out to a different bakery every morning. Bar is very expensive, go elsewhere for drinks. Hotel is in a great location, just a few minutes cycle away from some great restaurants and bakeries and a 10 minute cycle from the Brandenburg gate and main attractions. We booked through laterooms.com for a great rate and we would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
khagenbucher, Manager at art'otel berlin kudamm, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear Lazylurcher,

it’s been a real pleasure to read your great feedback on Tripadvisor! We really appreciate your comments, especially that you loved our rooms and the staff that much.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Being a seasoned traveller I like to be surprised by new places or even hotels. The Art'otel Berlin gave a whole new definition to brilliant. The hotel's location was absolutely sublime, right near the shopping street and in the centre of the city very close to Kurfurstenamm station which takes you on a five minute train ride to your desired location. The decor of the hotel was wacky but interesting. Inspired by Andy Warhol, it had carpets with painted lips on the floor and portraits of soup on the wall. The staff were incredibly helpful and would give you anything you needed. The rooms were clean and neat with nice bathrooms as well. They had a flatscreen t.v with one or to channels in english, a fully functioning bar as well as a restaurant. The rooms had wifi but for some reason it wouldn't work in ours. The rest of the hotel did make up for it though. It was a great experience and i'd love to stay there again!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
khagenbucher, Manager at art'otel berlin kudamm, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear Alex1539712,

We are very delighted to hear that you had a great experience at the art’otel berlin city center west. I am also pleased that you loved the design of our hotel as well as the location so much!

Please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write this fantastic review about your stay at our hotel.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the art’otel berlin city center west we look forward to welcoming you back.