“Exactly the charm we were looking for”
Review of Askanischer Hof

Askanischer Hof
Ranked #440 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 9 December 2013

What a perfect Berlin experience! We didn't want glass and steel and this delivered glorious old-fashioned charm on the city's tree-lined, up-market shopping street. It's not swanky but if atmosphere is what you're looking for, you won't be disappointed. I felt very 'Sally Bowles' in the quaint breakfast room with its high ceiling, huge overstuffed chairs and old photos.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank suzcad
There are newer reviews for Askanischer Hof

Reviewed 29 September 2013

That used to be on the masthead of Conde Nast Traveler magazine and I find it appropriate to use it here if view of the inflated reviews and ranking given to the hotel. I would not be honest of me to advise anyone to stay here except based on price. We paid 115 Euro per night and that included a moderately decent breakfast and all taxes. Perhaps not bad for the location, but I definitely cannot concur with most of the rankings and descriptions of this place. In fact giving it 3 stars may be pushing it some.
First, this is an old dingy, dark hotel on one floor of perhaps a 6 story building. One enters a single glass door at street level, after being buzzed in, and is met with a broad staircase, that in its day, may have been nice. Now it is covered with tacky carpeting.Behind you there is a small service elevator that you take to the first level to the hotel. You enter a big wooden door to go into a fair sized lobby that is somewhat tired looking furnished (overfurnished) with tacky, old furnishings.
(The desk clerk was a young man, perhaps late 30, early 40's, who spoke very little and was basically non-committal throughout our visit. Basically, at this place I felt tolerated rather than welcome. The one thing I asked them for was a wake up call which I did not get.)

The hallways are sort of rambly and dark with various colors and types of worn looking carpeting. At one point electric wires ran under a throw rug from the kitchen to another room. A code violation, I am sure.As one walks down the hallway you can see on the baseboards and other places just how worn this place it. However, the two rooms we saw had evidently recently had new wallpaper and curtains installed thus giving the appearance of newness. I will credit at least one room , the first one we stayed in overlooking Ku'damm with a very modern bath.

Our first room was very large, furnished, again, with garage sale looking furniture. It had a leather couch and large leather chair with obvious cracking and other signs of wear. However, given the weather and no AC, there was terrible street noise all night. Now this street is long and fairly straight so it becomes sort of a racetrack, especially for motorcycles.

We requested and got moved to another room toward the back of the hotel, much smaller but again with new looking wall coverings and very high newish looking curtains. Most other furniture was the same vintage as before. The bath is this room was considerably smaller with a tub and shower. However, the sides of this tub are very high and difficult to get out of with nothing to hold onto. My first time as I was stepping out I thought to myself that this is treacherous. Sure enough, when I stepped on the bath mat it slipped and down I went. (I remember thinking as I was falling, try not to hit my head on the side of the tub). They desperately need a bar to hold onto in this situation.

While this back room was away from the street, in the courtyard right below us was a row of 6-8 garbage bins. Guess what happened at 6 AM the next morning. It was garbage day. Luckily this only happened once while there.

Breakfast was okay. There were some meats, cheese, yogurt , fruit and cereal put out along with about 12 pieces of sliced white bread that diminished day by day. The toaster was extremely slow so if you want dark toast run down and start it before you get dressed.Coffee was decent and they will do you a soft boiled or scrambled egg. The first day a slender very friendly blonde lady was working in the dining room and, upon request, fried me an egg. After that the frau in charge of breakfast said she did not know what a "fried egg" was.

I am being hard on this place basically because I believe the reviews herein are really inflated and exaggerated. I feel mislead by them and am disappointed at what I see as a lack of objectivity. The reason I can recommend this place is that it is cheap ( get what you pay for), has a good location for those who want to get away from the tourist center ( one can easily walk to the KaDeWe (somewhat of a marvel), you are close to the metro, there is a bus that runs up Ku'damm that goes to the airport. and there are some good restuarants in the vicinity ( highly recommend Lubitsch). Otherwise this hotel is overrated.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Joe W
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed at the Askanischer Hof on the recommendation of some old friends who had stayed here on their last trip to Berlin. I chose it over the place my wife and I had stayed previously for three reasons: (1) my friends' recommendation; (2) the location appeared to be better than that of the place we stayed before; and (3) the review on TripAdvisor was better than that for our previous (very nice) little hotel. Suffice it to say, we were not disappointed.
Askanischer Hof is ideally located right on the Kurfürstendamm, just an easy 5 minute walk up a beautiful tree-lined street to the Savigny Platz station where you can catch the S-line to whisk you direct to the center of Berlin and the main train station. Despite being on the main drag of West Berlin, the rooms are quiet. Our bedroom opened on a charming inner courtyard. The hotel is over 100 years old, a reeks of old-world charm. It is housed in a turn-of-the-century art-nouveau, jugendstil building, with lovely decorative touches. There is an elevator, so no worries about carrying baggage up the stairs. The rooms are comfortable, and the bathrooms up-to-date (by European standards). The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, and the breakfast (included) is excellent. Plus, there is WiFi, available everywhere in the hotel. (Without which I would not at this moment be writing this review!) Finally, the beds are very, very comfortable, and conducive to a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Rick049
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here during a recent trip to Berlin. This is a charming old place, reminiscent of the Kaiser Wilhelm era. The room we had was very large and comfortable, overlooking the Kurfurstendamm. Noise, however, wasn't a problem. The bed was very good. Staff were helpful and obliging. The location is just the best, with innumerable excellent restaurants in the immediate vicinity. Breakfast was included and taken in the utterly atmospheric dining room. Wifi was good in room 12. Finally, we thought our stay at the Askanischer Hof was excellent value for money. We will come again and can strongly recommend this hotel if you want a change from contemporary kitsch and glitz.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David_iel
Reviewed 9 August 2013

If you want to experience what Berlin was like in the 20's.....come here. It's a little strange, but fantastic. Breakfast is lovely, rooms can be large, and the staff are friendly. In an elegant, but not hip, neighborhood. We will only stay here! It's unique.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank peltzy
Reviewed 26 June 2013

This hotel is not only the best place I’ve stayed in Europe, it’s the best place I’ve stayed anywhere. Seriously. This hotel is awesome. Located on the historical street, Kurfurstendamm, this circa 1910 hotel is old and beautiful, quaint and comfortable. Each room is spacious and unique, with high ceilings, art deco and vintage decor, and phenomenal views. The staff is wonderful – gracious and very helpful, and the continental breakfast is more formal and filling than most, serving up traditional German foods in a grand, antique dining hall. The location is central to almost all the major attractions in Berlin, and is only blocks away from both the Metro and UBahn stations. Despite its location amongst designer shops like Gucci, Louis Vuitton, and Prada, this hotel is a great value!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank jmb011
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Me and my husband stayed here for 3 nights in July, 2012. We had planned to stay at some arty place, so it wasn't our first choice in any way - but we didn't know that Berlin Fashionweek entered the city at the same time as we were going there. We still felt this was more us than any modern kind of business hotel. We loved the Art Nouveau style of our room. We were not impressed by the breakfast, though. It was a bit far from where we spent most of our time, but then again, we would not have seen this part of Berlin otherwise. So, all in all, a decent place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple