“Good location for a good price”

Mercure Hotel & Residenz Berlin Checkpoint Charlie
Ranked #34 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 26 November 2012

The location is very convenient, and the profesionalism of the staf is very good. My room on the first floor was a duplex, with a stair : I will prefer a smaller room with a bath tub.
The wi-fi is free in the lobby but you have to pay for use in your room...
I didn't try the Fitness and Sauna at the 7th floor but it's open 24h/7d.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Mercure Hotel & Residenz Berlin Checkpoint Charlie

Reviewed 22 November 2012

Let's face it: Germany is not renown for its warm welcomes and everything from a museum visit to a taxi ride tends to be a very formal experience. Berlin though is a fantastic city. Even if prices have gone up in the last few years it is still quite affordable. And among the various accommodation options I picked this one out, because the rate was ok and also because my first choices were sold out due to the late booking. And it turned out to be a good pick. Staff in most of these hotel chains just do their jobs and nothing more, but this place is packed with employees that smile and never hesitate to ask you if they can help. Reception desk called a taxi with the press of a button, and the estimate of the taxi fare that the receptionist gave me was right on. They know the city very well and could answer all questions accurately (not that I was trying to test them). Room was almost spotless (little water stains on the WC floor) and super quiet. It is not super luxurious but for that price bracket it was excellent. Location is a tiny bit to far form Unter den Linden or museum Island but manageable if you like to walk.

Room Tip: all rooms are in the back over small courtyards so street noise is not an issue.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I stayed here recently for a weekend away in Berlin.
The hotel is located in a good location. Close to U & S Bahn stations, and only a few minutes walk from Checkpoint Charlie.

My room was spacious, clean and a nice place to be. Wi-fi is available in the lobby, but for in room wi-fi access there was a fairly hefty charge which was a little annoying. But like I said in the lobby and bar free wi-fi was available. No problem connecting and it was certainly quick enough.

Would recommend and I would stay again if/when in Berlin.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in this hotel. It is well located within a short walk to the Check Point Charlie / Friedrichstraße.
Staff very helpfull all the time, specially as we arrived late at night.
Room was good and clean.
Breakfast was excelent. The bar does not stay open untill very late, but it is very good. They have a nice selection of different wines, local wines, we could taste.
Despite some complains I read here about internet connection, we did not have any problem with internet wifi. We had booked a package with internet connection and all worked fine in the bedroom, restaurant and hotel lobby.
Our only complain is about the TV channels, most of then in German and very difficult to change language (we only got it in 1 channel).

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 November 2012

This is a very nice property located within close walking distance to all your needs. It has a nice reception area and lobby lounge bar that is a fun spot to hang out in the evenings after a long day. Rooms are well appointed and clean. The biggest problem this hotel has ( and this depends on how important being " connected " is to you while traveling ) is the WiFi .. Our room rate included free WiFi and even when I went down to the lobby area it was very frustrating and at times limited.. If you are not an online user I could highly recommend this hotel but to me a good connection is as important as hot water and in this day and age I wonder how a hotel of this caliber can continue it's daily operations knowing this problem exists. I also have a second issue with this hotels communication and that concerns a problem I had on the last day of my stay.. I actually was wanting to stay 2 extra nights as our plans allowed for more time in Berlin and didn't want to pack and unpack etc but there was no rooms available.. After asking the staff to check availability at another property they did book us a room at the Berlin Mitte which we very much appreciated.. Unfortunately I made a mistake in my rush of packing up and left my night gown hanging on the hook in the washroom.. Later that very afternoon I noticed my mistake and called the front desk but was told they didn't have it.. Hmmm now I know an everyday type of night gown can be easily replaced but this particular one has been with me for many years being very sentimental and a high end Christian Dior ( now vintage ) made of silk satin with the most amazing lace work you can imagine.. I immediately walked over to Check Point Charlie and spoke to Martin Seifert at the front desk feeling quite incredulous that it could go missing.. Who would want it? Who would throw it away? ... After being assured they would check with housekeeping and get back to me I reluctantly left. The next day they did call me back saying it was not found but would be on the look out and would advise me by email. The next day I called as no email and spoke to Katherine at the front desk explaining the importance of this item to me and why I was so concerned and also apologizing profusely for creating this situation myself and basically begging for help. We went over all my contact info etc and early the next morning left for home back to Canada. Upon my return I called and a week later no response.. Very sad with this..

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Stayed here for four days at a business conference. Paid slightly more for a larger double room, with a balcony at the back of the hotel. Very quiet. Lots of space. Comfortable. Wifi too expensive, as in all hotels. Reasonably equipped minibar. Bar prices very expensive. No restuarant, although breakfast available. Good Italian restaurant recommended by staff - only 2-3 minutes walk away. Staff very efficient and friendly.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Excellent location. Nice and clean room. Rich and delicious breakfast. Friendly staff. This is our experience during our three day long weekend in Berlin Checkpoint Charlie. We enjoyed our stay and will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family