“An excellent choice”

DORMERO Hotel Berlin Ku'damm
Ranked #233 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 21 March 2013

The hotel is not far from KDV and is situated in a quiet side street. Our rooms were very good, well equipped and breakfast was excellent. We stayed for 4 nights and had none of the problems that other guests seem to have had. We'd stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lifeman
BrandenburgerHof, Leiter Front Office at DORMERO Hotel Berlin Ku'damm, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Dear Lifeman,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your excellent feedback about your stay at Brandenburger Hof in Berlin!
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time here with us and that you have been pleased with our service and facilities.

We look forward welcoming you back soon to Berlin!

Kind regards,

Vinzent Reiss
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 7 March 2013

Stayed at this hotel with family for two nights when travelling though central-Europe by car. There is a small garage on basement of the hotel, from where a lift is going directly to hotel floors, so it was surprisingly convenient with all of our luggage and our dog.

We arrived quite late. Our room had dog bowl and bed awaiting, which was nice. But was missing some towels, slippers and pillows for people, which was odd as our internet booking had included all necessary family info. Sloppy housekeeping, I would say. Night staff were helpful, as should be.

Pretty soon after arrival we noticed strange odor in our room. But were so tired that we just kept the windows open for a while, and fell asleep. In the morning the smell was clear; awful vomit stink, especially in the bathroom. It was not nice to wake up on a womit smell... So we asked to change room immediately. The next room had a fresh smell and it was bigger, so we were wondering why didn't they gave us that one in the first place. Because of the dog? Who is, by the way, small and very clean one. Well, it is an old truth that one should never accept the first room offered. In many cases, there is something wrong wiht that.

We found the breakfast to be tricky. It is sort of a fine dine and snobby. There are only few entities from were to select, and from very little to none optionality. It was not easy to have a gluten-free breakfast and I ended up eating very little. Also, breakfast was very time consuming; place was almost empty but serving on the tables was way too slow. We waited and waited for coffee to come and then bread, and then the reeest... It was weekend and we were not busy, but there is a limit for how long you want to wait for all the food to arrive. Don't plan on having a quick bite there!

Service on reception and night staff were very helpful and friendly. But housekeeping and waiters could do a better job.

The hotel is in a very beautiful old building. The decor is tasteful, spiced with some modern furniture. We really liked the stylish overall athmosphere and rooms' quite minimal style. And hotel's location is superb, on a quiet street with a short walk to KaDeWe department store and main shopping street Kurfurstendamm.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear kirklandgirl02,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on TripAdvisor about your stay at Brandenburger Hof Berlin.

I want to take this opportunity to personally apologize for the lack of service and attention you experienced. As your stay was more than half a year ago it is very difficult for us to find out what happened exactly during your stay. Please be assured that I am very concerned about the comfort and wellbeing of our guests and I highly regret that we could not fulfil your expectations regarding the set up in the room and our breakfast service.

I was very happy about your comment regarding our reception team and already passed it on to the colleagues.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you and your family back on a future occasion giving us the opportunity to indeed exceed your expectations.

Yours sincerely,

Vinzent Reiss
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 16 February 2013

Wow!! This hotel is so nice that you want to go to Berlin only to stay there and you just go out and look at KDV and all the other nice stuff so that you can get a chance to miss it ! The beds are on the hard side but otherwise rooms are perfect - quiet, roomy and elegant with lotsa goodies in the mini bar. The concierge went and got us tickets to the concert we wanted to hear - it could not be booked on the net so he went there himself and stood in line and got them for us! Try that on for service :)
Location is perfect - in the middle of everything and still in a quiet side street. Good food and wonderful breakfast. Just one little kink: In Germany you are not allowed to smoke indoors in common rooms in a hotel but here they do. A lot. People who smoke go here because they bend the rules I think. But myself - I have asthma and get really sick from cigarette smoke - but I'll go to this hotel again given the opportunity and take my chances.

Room Tip: Choose an "innerhof" room so that your windows open away from the street
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank pille2
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Stayed at this awful place on the recommendation of my travel agent. The hotel apparently had no ability to control the hotel thermostat, had a toxic smell, hopeless Internet service, and inexperienced staff unable to fix complaints. A number of people left the hotel early bc they couldn't sleep due to the toxic smell. I found much better, cheaper accommodation very easily elsewhere. (There are much better hotels which are much better positioned for sightseeing just to the east of the Tier gardens.) Unbelievably, the hotel charged me for the nights i cancelled despite all the issues. This is the worst hotel I've stayed at in 5 years.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Abby_in_transit
dpsauter, Manager at DORMERO Hotel Berlin Ku'damm, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to learn that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay at Brandenburger Hof, my staff and I pride in exceeding expectations and we clearly did not impress you during your stay.

We are about to refurbish our air conditioning system throughout the whole hotel in spring and I have to apologise for any inconvenience caused by the heating. If sometimes the temperatures are changing very quickly outside it takes some time for the system to regulate the temperatures inside the hotel.

Internet for house guests is available on a complimentary basis within the Business Lounge.

But let me clarify that no other guest left the hotel because of any toxic smell.

I would appreciate if you would contact me personally to share any further feedback and on the next occasion of your visit to Berlin contact me personally in order that I can ensure you experience the Brandenburger Hof as it is meant to be. Thank you for your feedback.

Yours sincerely

Markus Otto Graf
Director

Reviewed 11 December 2012

After another delayed flight, I was greeted at the front desk by Jennifer, who provided a very efficient and friendly check-in. Even though it was very late she took the time to point out the most important areas of the hotel, even escorting us to our room; Oberon.

The breakfast was an experience that should be indulged never rushed, the choice was slightly overwhelming. The second day we asked for suggestions and our lovely waitress (I wish I had asked her name), recommended some great options. The food was tasty and there was no rushing, so we ate, and ate, and ate. I think the best breakfast I have had at any hotel.

The hotel quality of finish is as you expect from a five star property, and the environment is relaxed, just like you are popping in to stay with family or friends. I think this hotel benefits from a friendly team, great location, and an impressve building. I can not wait to come next December, just less snow next time please!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2012

A good hotel is so much about attitude. We've been the clients for five years with the SLH and choose it for (a) permanent quality; and (b) sincere friendliness. In this hotel, we loved the service of concierge, reception desk, the lady–who–arranges–the–room–for–the–night and the driver who took us from the SPA located nearby. We did not like quite as much the snobbish service at the restaurant – which happened to be a gourmet one,– alas, we happened to be lodging here and just came to it – and we can have our dinner in the lounge – it is not absolutely necessary to give a Look at our casual clothes. The food was great though.

Small details – good stay is about the details:

– it's very nice to have cute green slippers delivered to you before you go to bed – but there's no robe – which makes sense as there's no spa in the facilities – albeit there is a spa within 10–minutes drive with a bearable (but a bit smelly) pool and the sauna;
– the sleep is good – although you can hear people walking above you – that must be the 19th century construction;
–  we were somewhat surprised when on the second day of stay there were no new shampoo/conditioner/shower gel/body lotion delivered in the bathroom.
– the building and the winter garden has a really nice atmosphere to it although the decoration of the room is rather simplistic.
–– the breakfast is a must have – it's a feast!! stomach, beware!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I remembered this hotel from many years ago as an oasis of civilized calm with impeccable service. Oh, how times have changed. I do hate harping but if it might help one weary traveller receive a quiet room instead of a noisy one, or the breakfast they ordered, or sleep late despite having hung the "do not disturb" sign on the door, then here goes...

The staff all seemed in a muddle. No one (except Antonio) really knew where to recommend for dinner or offered to order a taxi during a rainstorm or thought to warn us about the jackhammers facing the hotel's facade. The one restaurant we tried based on their suggestions had moved months before and resulted in our taking a 20 minute cab ride to some unknown suburb for dinner. (Yikes! Not to be repeated) The housekeepers opened and slammed our door twice despite the DND sign. Breakfast arrived without silverware. The wifi rarely worked and the TV, never. The taxi we thought we ordered for the airport was not. Aiya! And the hotel was not full...hmmmm.

Surprising blip in the Small Luxury Hotels corral of typically glorious properties.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a room facing the street as there is construction...and you will hear it !
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple