“Vibrant and friendly ”

The Circus Hostel
Ranked #4 of 344 Speciality Lodging in Berlin
“Vibrant and friendly ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We only booked one night at circus hostel, but would definitely go back the next time we visit Berlin.

We stayed in a double private room.
Room was basic, but spacious. Didn't have to climb over our backpacks to get to bed.
No air con, but a big window that opened kept us the perfect temperature through the night.

Shared bathroom was immaculately clean. A good choice for anyone travelling with brightly coloured hair - no white grout to be stained by run off hair dye.

Breakfast was nice and plentiful. A great way to start the day.

Desk staff were super friendly and helpful with plenty of recommendations for guests.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Redbeccabec

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

It was the first time I was traveling to berlin and I had great time staying here. Staff was friendly and location was great. Hostel was value for money.

This is very close to many of city destinations. Staff also guid you to find best location for pub crawl and walking tour and everything.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights in July. It was a good, clean hostel. Having wifi throughout was great and the Katz & Maus cafe and bar was very convenient for breakfast and drinks. There is much better food nearby, however. It is also nice that they have a safe and 24 hour reception. I originally booked a private room because I was nervous about sharing a room with 8 people. I changed it because I thought a dorm would be easier to meet people and cheaper. I'm glad I did -- everyone I met in my room was nice and friendly and I had drinks with pairs of them a few times. The staff was almost always friendly as well. But, I am in Germany to improve me German and literally everyone here is speaking English. When I'm at the hostel I barely feel like I'm in Germany. It's quite bizarre actually. I suppose that's a good thing for most reading this review though: the staff here speak very good English. A few other complaints: the beds are not comfortable. The bathrooms are across the hall (shared), but almost every time I go in there it is out of toilet paper. Also it would be nice if there was a little bench in the shower rooms instead of hooks. But these are small details. The place is great for solo traveling and from what I've heard is excellent for a hostel especially because of the price and location.

Stayed July 2014
Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Cheap, well located, clean, comfy and with a decent breakfast menu. What's not to like?

Stayed at the Circus in 2007 and enjoyed it enough to stay there again when coming back in 2014.

Recommend getting a quiet room by the courtyard as that way you can't hear the tram that runs past the building.

Stayed June 2014
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

The location is really good, close to central places and located two steps from a subway station.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Free WiFi, cheap breakfast and in-house pub which was great to meet other travelers.

Downside are the rooms which are very clean but have no bathroom (shared), not so big (but OK) and the bed wasn't too comfortable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We are two 18 year old girls on our first solo trip and this hostel definitely exceeded expectations! Their attention to detail was great, you could rent bikes, ipads, ipods and laptops if you wanted to. Very clean and spacious rooms with a great communual area in the form of a bar and cafe, where for 5 euros you can get a decent breakfast. There is a tram and tube stop right outside and plenty to do in the surrounding area. The staff are great and the bathrooms were super clean! Even the lockers beside your bed have a plug socket inside, which was very convenient! Would definitely reccommend to anyone and would go back! The only issue we had is that tthere is the 'Circus Hotel'on the other corner so we intially were a bit confused, however we had an excellent stay and met great people

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank lara g
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Me and my boyfriend booked to stay here for 3 nights. When we first arrived the 'hostel' looked amazing and it is actually very nice. The first guy we came across at the reception desk was very friendly and told us all about the place and everything we needed to know, sadly we didn't see him again throughout our stay.
Instead every time me or my boyfriend went to reception we were greeted by unfriendly staff. This one guy was possibly the rudest staff member I've ever come across. I can understand that there is a cultural difference and sometimes some Germans can come across as more abrupt and straight forward, but this guy was just plain rude and sarcastic with everything I said to him. I asked him if the water at the bar was sparkling and he gave me such a rude answer, I was shocked, especially with such a simple question. I then went to ask him if I could order a taxi from the hotel and he really didn't want to answer my question, he kept trying to end the conversation and was answering all of them in such a sarcastic way. I've never come across someone like this before. I really didn't want to ask him anything else because I knew he would be rude to me. You would think people who work at a reception desk would learn to be friendly, since most of the people at the hotel are tourists.
Another thing that was just a bit annoying was the shared toilet. Each floor is split into 2 halves, and on each half there is a girls toilet and a boys toilet and then 2 shower rooms with several showers in them.The floors are quite big though so I was right next to the boys toilet and I had to walk to the front just to use the toilet or use the sink. Other then that the hostel itself was good. It had everything you could need and looked very nice. But the rude reception staff definitely put me off wanting to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple