“Friendly, small good value hotel in a good location in Berlin.”

City Pension Berlin
Ranked #364 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 11 November 2010

I have been staying at this hotel 2-3 times per year (sometimes more) since my first trip to Berlin in 2004. I have always enjoyed staying here & feel always very welcome & the owners & staff have always gone out of their way to make me welcome & feel at home. I have brought friends with me on several occasions & will be returning with friends very shortly. Excellent breakfast too catering for all tastes & nationalities.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank inselufer

Reviewed 25 September 2010

Stay at City Pension Berlin if you like to stay for good price, just close to the S-bahn and U-bahn station in charming district of Charlottenburg. Within walking distance you have lovely Savignyplatz with a lot of cozy restaurants. also close to Kühfürstendamm and Berlin Zoo.
lovley staff, specially the owner ! We visit Berlin a least two times a year and always stay at this place! Any place that sends you a personal holiday card is a place we are gonna keep coming back to!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2009

I stayed here with my girlfriend for three days from 9/24 to 9/26. It is a nice convenient place to stay. It wasn't that far from Tegel and is has a S-Bahn and U-Bahn within in a block of the hotel. The rooms and bathroom are average to slightly above average for Europe hotels. The room we stayed in was clean and the free breakfast was excellent. We had one minor issue with the front desk person regarding the price to pay for having our clothes washed. Make sure that you clearly establish how much it will costs. I would recommend this hotel and would consider stay them again if I were to go to Berlin again. Sorry, I didn't take pictures like I normally do.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tngl4ut
Reviewed 30 June 2009

Based on TripAvisor and other reviews, I booked a one-week stay at City Pension a no-frills Pension in Charlottenburg in what used to be East Berlin. It is very very convenient with the S-Bahn station (You can get almost anywhere on it.) across the street and the 109 airport bus at the corner, and a busy taxi stand at the same corner. My room was very clean and had a cable t.v. and telephone. Husband and wife owners are warm, friendly, very helpful and eager to please within reason, of course. Because there is no elevator, they helped me up the stairs with my luggage. I requested a quiet room with bath and toilette in the room (cheaper rates are available if you opt for a shared toilette in the hall) and they accommodated my wishes. The breakfast buffet (cheeses, deli meats, rolls, bread, cereals, yogurts, coffee, tea, juice and more) is set out every morning at 6:30. Everything is fresh and tasty.

A two-block walk from the hotel are great Charlottenburg cafes and restaurants. In the other direction is a street-mall area which has excellent shopping only five minutes away including: Karstad, C&A, shoe stores, bakeries and even a terrific Woolworths for toiletries, cosmetics, and so on.

I will book this hotel again next year and recommend it to anyone except perhaps for someone who needs an elevator to get up the 20 stairs from the ground floor to the reception area and another 20 stairs if your room is on the next floor.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank EllyDresden
Reviewed 24 May 2007

Tried to book a few weeks in advance to stay in Berlin and started with those hotels listed in our tour books or recommended on tripadvisor. The more interesting looking and recommended hotels on this site were booked. We came upon some positive reviews on tripadvisor regarding City Pension Berlin so we took our chances with it, thinking the $$$ was reasonable and reviews favorable. However that was prior to the posting by MSKIM enlightenening all to the fact that the shower is located smack dab in the middle of the room, a standalone, not even in a separate room. Since I am one of two women travelling together we would prefer our privacy and were somewhat taken aback by this.

The area does seem a bit dodgy area (some of seedy bars etc) but no evidence of weirdos on the street. The hotel itself looks dodgy from the outside, and dated inside, the reception area looks a bit rough. There is a nice market with fresh fruit just a 1 minute walk from the hotel and the Schloss Charlottenburg was a 30 min. walk from the here. Also there was a reasonable internet cafe just a 1 - 2 min. walk from the hotel. Lots of conveniences with quick and easy access.

The room was large, with high-ceilings however there was an occasion we did have trouble unlocking the door and had to solicit the assistance of the staff to help get us into the room. And remember the shower is a stall in the middle of the room with absolutely no privacy, while lying in bed you are looking at the shower stall! While the Charlottenburg S-bahn stop (above ground) is just across from the hotel it was noiseless. As a matter of fact the room was very quiet as well as very clean and functional. We did not book an ensuite but the bathroom was right outside our door and although we had to share it, for the most part it felt private and we never heard any noise of others in the bathrrom when we were in our room. Bathroom itself was clean but dated. Again, for a cheap room, you can live with this.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating, which was another PLUS for this hotel.

Breakfast was OK - pretty standard for a German hotel, we've had better, but it sufficed and we didn't book the hotel for the breakfast. The hotel is situated about a minute away from a U-bahn stop in one direction and a minute away from the S-bahn stop in the other direction. Charlottenburg S-bahn will take you direct into the heart of Berlin in 10-15 minutes e.g. Hauptbahnhof, Hackescher Markt etc. Truly convenient to access the S-bahn & U-bahn, and a big PLUS for this hotel.

While the $$$ was certainly reasonable, I would prefer not to stay here again. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly surprised and I know it could have been a lot lot worse. Not a bad choice if you're stuck or attempting to hold down the budget.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank irslestravels
Reviewed 22 May 2007

If you like privacy taking a shower, think twice about this hotel. We knew the toilet was shared in the hall and the room included a shower and sink in the room. I guess I was expecting a walled off room for the shower, not an actual shower stall right in the room. I traveled with a friend and we were both shocked when we saw this. I'm not really found of having a friend right in the room with me while I am showering. We did make it work, but I probably would not stay here again (unless I was in a room by myself). On a positive note, the room was clean and the location was very convenient with great access to the S-Bahn. Breakfast was nothing extra, but it is nice to eat something and have coffee or tea before venturing out for the day. If you don't mind the shower stall in the same room you sleep in, then stay here. If you like a little privacy, think twice or make sure you are getting an ensuite room that includes the toilet. The staff was very nice.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
4  Thank MsKim
Reviewed 22 May 2007

Trying to book even a few weeks in advance to stay in Berlin on a German bank holiday weekend proved difficult. The more interesting looking and recommended hotels on this site had long been booked up for this popular weekend so we took our chances with City Pension, and didn't expect much.

A taxi from Tegel airport at around 11pm cost a mere EUR12 - the hotel was luckily on that side of the city (a fluke!). First impressions at that time of night - dodgy area (lots of seedy bars etc) but no evidence of weirdos on the street. The hotel itself looks dodgy from the outside and inside, the reception area looks quite rough.

But the room really made up for these first impressions. Room was huge - large, high-ceilinged and at least three times the size of the average hotel room in any other European capital I've stayed in! The Charlottenburg S-bahn stop (above ground) is just across from the hotel but it was noiseless. The whole room was very clean and functional. The bathroom was on one side of the room but had only a sliding door seperating it from the bedroom - not ideal but you can live with it. Bathroom was clean but very dated and falling apart in places, as was the rest of the hotel. Again, for a cheap room, you can live with this.

Breakfast was fine - standard fare in a German hotel - as good it gets anywhere really. The hotel is situated about a minute away from a U-bahn stop in one direcdtion and a minute away from the S-bahn stop in the other direction. Charlottenburg S-bahn will take you direct into the heart of Berlin in 10-15 minutes e.g. Hauptbahnhof, Hackescher Markt etc. This convenience was the hotel's true mark.

Would not stay here again if I can help it (would rather stay in Mitte next time - closer to the action) but nonetheless, I was pleasantly surprised and I know it could have been a lot lot worse. Not a bad choice if you're stuck.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple