Hotel Berlin Markischer Hof am Tacheles
US$144
US$108
US$100
  • Restaurant
All reviewsno liftexcellent locationu bahn and s bahnmain stationbars and restaurantsfirst floormin walkluggagetraintaxisfriedrichstrasse
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Room Tip: 1 Double, 1 Triple
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

We loved this hotel over the years - from 8 years we go almost each time we were in Berlin here. Everything was superb.
But this year , we found out that the hotel was sold to some chinese ppl and was not great at all. All the great atmosphere, the cleaning, the furniture, bed sheets, breakfast were completly changed.
First of all we receive room 13, very bad smelling of Food , not clean at all and in the bathroom a total mess.
Breakfast so simple , but for 7 euro Per person what to expect....

If you look just for a place to sleep and don't have high expectation (for a 3 stars hotel) you will find this hotel a good one regarding the price (60 euro- the room with 3 beds), free parking, free good wi-fi conection, location and smiling friendly chinese :):)
I feel so pitty for this wonderful hotel becames surely a ruin, being ruled by the new administration.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank Libella14
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Booked on strength of reviews on TA. Room & beds very small but clean. Remainder of hotel looked shabby & not very appealing on arrival as front area of hotel is now a takeaway. Free WI Fi which worked well was a bonus. Real plus for this hotel is location. Close to tram as well as underground & main line stations. Based on the room we had would not have wanted to have stayed more than a couple of nights. Would return again but only for short break & would be hoping for a better room.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Well located for a short city break (we had four nights) with underground and trams on the doorstep, bars and restaurants nearby. Rooms are functional with comfortable beds and a good shower. We were offered a choice of two rooms, and our double had a table with a couple of chairs. The room and en suite were clean. There was a good cold breakfast buffet with hard boiled eggs, cold meats, smoked salmon etc. Staff were very friendly and we had no problem paying with a credit card even though a sign said the credit card machine was out of order! There was free wi-fi which worked in our 3rd floor room which was a bonus. Only small gripe was that there was no lift and taking stairs to the 3rd floor after a hard day's sightseeing was a bit of an effort. A great budget optrion however and I would certainly go back.

Room Tip: Lower floors if you don't want to walk up too many stairs, rear rooms possibly quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank redwing58
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I had been dying to go to Berlin for ages but was travelling on a budget. I've never been an ambassador to hostels. I'm sure there are plenty of hidden treasures, but they're just not for me.

Markischer Hof hotel brought the best of both worlds together: decent rooms, comfy beds, practical bathrooms, toothsome breakfast and free wifi, at nearly the rates of a much more basic hostel.

But what really places it above average is its location. Across the street from U and S Bahn stations, within walking distance from major landmarks and surrounded by lovely cafés and shops, its whereabouts confirm you made the right choice.

For their staff, I have nothing but good feedback. Helpful and polite. All the people I talked to, spoke English, German and even enough Spanish to take a call for me! whenever I left the hotel they'd come to the door and wish me "a very nice day" :)

The flip side of my stay was the restoring work being done at the hotel. Plenty of dust at times! But I'm sure it'll look even better when they're done.

I can't wait to go back to Berlin, and I will most definitely choose Markischer Hof again.

Room Tip: No elevators available.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends