“Brilliant hotel”

Ranked #198 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Brilliant hotel”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Just got back from Berlin after staying 3 nights at this hotel. The staff offered a warm welcome as soon as I entered the door and were very pleasant. They were always happy to help with any queries as well which was nice. I stayed in a single room with a shared bathroom and it was to a high standard, my window wet out to the courtyard and with the window closed I couldn't hear the trains, I did get woken up by the birds though but in my opinion that isn't a bad thing!
I would have liked a tv in the room just to unwind at night but other than that it was great.
Also they hve a bike rental at the hotel for €12 a day which I recomend

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Centrally located rooms with an artsy twist. Proximity to Berlin Hauptbahnhof and Friedrichstrasse S-Bahn/U-bahn makes this one a winner. The shared bathrooms were clean and pleasant and didn't feel like a hostel - which makes this a viable option over any of the nearby hostels (if you book early enough)

Clean, comfy rooms and helpful reception staff who lent me a euro to UK convertor when I realised I'd left mine at home. My room was facing the internal courtyard and had a good view of the vine-covered walls, but this also meant a quiet night's rest.

Book in advance to get the best prices!

Room Tip: Higher floor, facing the internal courtyard
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This hotel is centrally located, very close to major attractions like the Reichstag and Brandenburg Gate. Very close to the Spree and transportation.

It was like a maze in there. I tried to exit through the janitor's closet several times!

I had a single room with bathrooms in the hall. The showers were shared but the toilets were man or woman. I rarely saw another person. I would bring soap because the packets the hotel provides are quite small.

I did not hear the trains, but I did hear birds. There was a pigeon making a nest outside the window and lots of songbirds EARLY in the morning.

The entire hotel was very clean and the staff was always helpful.

I enjoyed my stay and would recommend it.

Room Tip: I had 303 where the birds are, but I's rather have birds than trains.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank canarycat13
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Each room was designed by a different artist with different themes. The rooms are very large. We chose the shared bathroom option where they had 6 showers stall, 6 toilets for female and then for male (so 12 each) per floor. They offer fans in room, and with windows closed the rooms are fairly sound proof (they provide ear plugs as well). They provide towels and soap provided and a hairdyer in shower area. they offer free wifi in the rooms, our room didnt have a tv. The TXL bus from airport (cost 2.60 pp) literally stops right next to the hotel (its the 2nd stop after the Central Haupbahnhof). The Haupbahnhof is 5 minute walk to hotel. The Reichtag and Brandenburg Gate are a 3-4 minute walk, jewish memorial is a 5-6 minute walk. The breakfast was a bit pricey ($11 Euro) so we just walked to Dunkin Doughnuts and starbuck at Brandenburg gate

Room Tip: ask for one on opposite side of tracks
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had an early flight out of Berlin and needed a place to spend an evening. For this purpose, I took a single room with shared bathroom. The room was small, clean and the shared bathroom/showers were right next door, and also well maintained. Reviewers have complained about the proximity to the train tracks. My room faced the indoor courtyard and I actually didn't hear much noise at all. My only complaint is the bed was one of the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in. I'm not a picky sleeper, but I found it incredibly difficult to sleep in that bed. Overall though, I would recommend this hotel to friends, and would stay here again. The price was great as was the location: 10 minute walk from main train station, and the airport bus TXL stops just across the street from the hotel. The 24h hotel staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel, nestled five minutes from the Reichstag, is a real Berlin gem. Each room in the old townhouse is different, making it feel unique and unusual. The location is excellent, an ideal pied-a-terre between the tourist centre and the cooler riverside bars of Friedrichstrasse.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 February 2014

This hotel is quite stunning and the staff are very friendly and helpful, no matter what time of day it is. It is located about a ten minute walk to the Brandenberg Gate and further 5-10 to the Reichstag. Albrechstrasse, with its bars and street cafes, and a lovely stretch of street cafes along the River Spree are a street away. It is about a 15 minute walk to Museum Island and less than 30 to the Alexanderplatz area in one direction and the checkpoint Charlie area in the other. So it is very well located.

Many reviews mention that it is next to the train line, which is true - and my room at the front was very close to it, though I slept with the windows open. I found I was so tired after exploring Berlin that the trains did not keep me awake, despite the fact that I am a light sleeper. They supply earplugs and the windows are double glazed if you want to shut them.

The building itself, I believe, used to be set into the Berlin Wall. It was restored from the late 90s onwards and each room is done by a different artist. The hallways are historically restored in a beautiful style and there are artistic ornaments everywhere. It is an utterly charming place. There is a large internal courtyard and free internet in the artistic reception area.

My room was very clean, comfortable and private. The shower was a little cramped, but that was easy to put up with for 2 nights. Breakfast in the restaurant next door is great value - serve yourself muesli (you have to try the one with the tiny squares of chocolate through it!), hot and cold buffet and juice. But wait for the staff to serve you coffee (from my experience, serving yourself is seen as the height of rudeness!)

There is a very cheap, efficient council bus that goes from the airport and stops directly across the road from the hotel. At night the cab from the airport cost about 25DM.

Room Tip: The older more historic part of the hotel seems to be closer to the train line. The more modern part...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo