“Great”

Ranked #126 of 939 things to do in Berlin
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Museum focusing on the history surrounding the Berlin Wall, including an exhibit of instruments people used to escape.
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Across from Checkpoint Charlie, the Museum was something I stumbled across on my way back to the hostel. It chronicles the story of the Berlin Wall, including the dangers of no-man's land, the victims of the wall, the role of the soldiers etc... For someone who knew little about the Wall, this was a very informative exhibition.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,007)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I give this museum a qualified 4 star rating. There are many interesting items here, and I was totally engrossed in the history as I made my way through the building. Many ingenious methods of escape are presented. To get the most from your visit, you need to read...a LOT. This would not be a problem on a day when there were few visitors. However, on the day of my visit, the museum was very crowded and very hot. I eventually found myself passing up the information just to be able to breath. In summary, I do think this museum has a lot to offer. My advice is to visit first thing in the morning before the crowds arrive.

2  Thank MontanaTraveler643
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have recommended this little for-profit museum in the past, but I can no longer give it a recommendation. I have now visited it on three separate occasions. It used to be a somewhat disorganized collection of devices and stories of escapes from east Germany. Now, on the first floor was a display about communism in Hungary, including some sort of artistic (in the eye of some beholders) display of bricks. I could not recall any displays that have disappeared, but the museum no long captured my or my guest's curiosity. Moreover, something was akimbo with movie that has traditionally played depicting scenes from the wall and checkpoint Charlie. The picture was totally obscured. Finally the 12.5 Euros they are now charging to enter is simply too high for what they offer.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Okay, so a lot of the information in this museum is quite interesting. But it's one of the most poorly laid out museums in Berlin, completely packed with tourists and is way overpriced. If you want to learn more about the Wall and the Cold War, go to the much better Deutsches Historisches Museum (German Historical Museum) instead, or buy a book on the subject.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I went with two teens, and we all really struggled with the layout.

There really isn't any narative layout to the museum, it's just a jumble of items. Even when they have collected a couple of things together that are related, the items often appear out of order.

Its a shame, since there is definitely a need to tell the story of the wall, and the Cold War. In particular, why people wanted to leave.
The museum does have some amazing examples of how people hav escaped, so it is worth investigating. But it is a struggle.