“Great location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Novum Hotel Aldea Berlin Zentrum
Ranked #233 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
“Great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Location is perfect, just a short walk from the subway (H1 and H2) and 3 bus stops.There is an apotheke (pharmacy) right next to it and several cafes and restaurants around the building. Friendly staff, large and clean rooms with free wifi. Shower is ok at most, but does the job. This is a 3 star hotel and it delivers what expected. If you are in Berlin and just need an affordable but good, clean and well located hotel to drop your bags and shower, it doesn't get much better (or cheaper) than this one.
Two important tips: Ask for a room with an even number, so your window is facing the courtyard, not the street. Much quieter. And Mokambo Cafe around the corner to the right is a GREAT and cheap place for breakfast (if you decide not to pay for the one at the Hotel) a snack and drinks, plus if you don't speak German, just like almost anywhere in Berlin, they all speak English, so no worries your getting food.
I rate this a 5 because the hotel delivers what promised and I will surely stay there again next time I'm in Berlin.

Room Tip: Choose a room with an even number (facing the courtyard, and not the street). Even with double layer...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NovumGroupHotels, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Novum Hotel Aldea Berlin Zentrum, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Lucas,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
We are delighted that you had a nice stay in our Hotel Aldea.
We would be very pleased if we can welcome you again soon.

Kind regards,
Aldea Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

The hotel met all of our needs in Berlin. It provided a good base to explore the city being a right on the U2 line which is direct to the center as well as bus station. Rooms were small and a bit worn out, but didn't really impact our stay. Reception was friendly and you interact often as you must leave your key each time you depart.

Breakfast was fine, the only hot food being scrambled eggs, but plenty of cereals, yogurts, cheese, meat, and bread.

The area has a certain charm and large Turkish community with plenty of unique shops and cheap late night food options. Sure there were plenty of street walkers, but they don't harm anyone and are entertaining.

I'd recommend signing up for the Novum card to get free benefits such as 5 Euro (rather than 7.90) breakfast and late checkout - even if you're just staying there once. Wifi worked well in rooms.

Overall the value and a location make the hotel a good choice if you're looking for a decent place to sleep without expecting too much else.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your nice review on Tripadvisor..
We are delighted that you had a nice time in Berlin.
We would be glad to welcome you again in one of our Novum Hotels.

Faithfully Yours

Venice
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Budget solution in Berlin, it was the last choice on my list, but to say the truth is was not a bad experience.
The hotel is "old", no card-room access, so you will have a key with an heavy keychain, but the cleanliness standard was excellent.
The hotel is very silent so I'm satisfied of my staying.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Bexley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have just returned from a midweek break staying here for three nights to celebrate my birthday with a friend. I cannot believe seriously these negative reviews are anything like they purport to be. From my perspective, and I do have basic expectations - this place ticks all the criteria boxes you could want from a clean, comfortable friendly, centrally located hotel.

Impressions were excellent from the moment we entered, four very smart, efficient and good English speaking reception/hosts who despite a queue, soon checked us in in minutes, directing us to our room on the first floor via the spacious lifts straight on from the desk - thankfully there are not those claustrophobic one-man open door type lifts you commonly find on the continent.

The room - clean, beds were very comfortable for sleeping - and surprisingly more spacious than I expected. Most rooms are located towards the rear and side off the main drag, so chances are you would be unlucky to be disturbed.

Breakfast - best ever continental buffet I have ever had during my visit to any European city, and is guaranteed to set you up for the day. The choice was amazing, six types of fresh bread, half a dozen preserves, full cereal and juice bar, continental meats (I recommend the german bacon or black forest ham) and the BEST scrambled eggs I have ever eaten - oh these were nice. Bright, yellow and very full flavoured.

The area - On the whole very safe, the Bulowstrasse metro station taking you to Alexanderplatz and the city centre is right across the road, and you can get there in about 15 minutes. There are plentiful numbers of bars and restaurants in the surrounding areas, including a 24 hour pub called Bulow Kneipe next door which can get very crowded and a tad on the shady side later in the evening. Funny enough, smoking is still permitted in a lot of bars including this one and several other small watering holes in the city that do not serve food. There are also plenty of cheap eateries too right on the doorstep for those on a budget, two doors up there is a late night cafe serving anything from kebabs, curries and fajitas under 10 euros - and the quality is much better than the typical British equivalent. There is even an off licence around the corner where you can buy quality German beer for 1.50 and drink it outside on a little patio if you are really are on a shoestring - can you imagine that being allowed in Britain? You do witness the odd bit of drunkenness and broken bottles, but the area is clean, safe and central.

This hotel compares very favourably all round with the likes of the Ibis or Holiday Inn, except for about half the price. Berlin is probably more tolerant as a city than Amsterdam, and a welcome breath of fresh air and relaxation from the puritanical nanny state agenda enforced in many parts of Britain.

My advice - book midweek and on e-bookers, my friend and I did and we got Ryanair flights and three nights here for 150 quid per person.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Michael A
NovumGroupHotels, Guest Relation Assistant at Novum Hotel Aldea Berlin Zentrum, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Michael,

Thank you very much for your review and your kind words, regarding your stay in our Novum Hotel Aldea.
We have gladly passed your positive comments to our employees.
We hope to welcome you again as our guest soon.

Sincerely Yours

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Just come back from Berlin stayed one night in this hotel and the price was fantastic, service excellent and clean good bed and shower. I would recommend this hotel to anyone it also has free wi-fi and is right next to a u bahn station

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Neil S
Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice review.
We are delighted that you had a nice time in Berlin.
We would be glad to welcome you again in one of our Novum Hotels.

Faithfully Yours

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I booked into this hotel with a guide dog. When I arrived I was told it was not allowed in the hotel. I explained that it had been booked in and eventually we were allowed to register. The same problem happened almost every time I entered the hotel. Problems in the breakfast room followed and consequently I did not eat breakfast during my stay.
Having locked my key in the room, I encountered reception at its worst, they made me feel as if this was the first time this had ever happened, and would not deal with the situation until we returned to the hotel.
On the plus side it was clean, the car parking was secure, the chambermaids were excellent. Having made a fuss about my guide dog they sent me a bottle of cava - but still would not let my guide dog in.

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back - the ones on the front of the hotel are at the same level as the Ubhan
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Carol C
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

This hotel is a 1-minute walk from the Bülowstraße U-bahn station, making it a good base of operations in Berlin. The rooms are small but reasonable, the bathroom/shower quite small, but just this side of usable. Breakfast is not lavish, but quite good and fresh. The elevators are ancient and slow, but there are three of them. Despite staying at the 7th (top) floor, I was not overly frustrated by the elevators.

Staff was rather indifferent and unfocused. The soap in the built-in dispenser in my room's shower ran out the first day, and was not refilled by the housekeeping staff for *four* days, despite there being a way to directly ascertain, visually, that the container is empty. (I was using my own soap, so did not bother to complain, but was curious to see when they would notice and act. They never did.)

So despite all this, I'm giving it four stars, because it offers what I'm looking for -- cleanliness, accessibility, and a reasonable price.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business