“Worst hotel I have ever stayed in!”

Novum Hotel Aldea Berlin Zentrum
Ranked #243 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Dover, Delaware
“Worst hotel I have ever stayed in!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We booked for two nights and left after one. We had a three person room and two of our sheets had blood on them. Our shower had mold in it and the height adjuster for the shower head was broken. The T.V. also did not work. The room faced the street which is right across for a train, so it was very loud. We had to have the windows open because it was very hot and needed some sort of an air flow. Berlin is beautiful, but I would not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SaraG_P87

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

the very standard decorated hotel is well located near an U-Bahn station and is located in the nice neighborhood Schöneberg. Staff is always friendly and the rooms are clean.
One item for attention is the bad receipt of the wifi which is accessable for free for hotel guest. The router do not reach to all rooms. Besides that I think the breakfast is overpriced. For the same amount of money you can have a wonderful breakfast at Berio's which is nearby.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband for four nights in late May.
The hotel was well presented, clean and simple. The hotel staff were generally helpful and welcoming.
I don't quite understand why they swap the key for a card as this then means you may have to wait in line to recieved your room key. But it did not cause us too much of a problem.

Our room felt spacious and airy. The bathroom was small but more than adequate. Every night of our stay as soon as the light went off we both slept through the night despite both being light sleepers.

The transport is all within a stones throw and there are a selection of decent bars, resturants and a few late night shops just around the corner.

A great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Where to start.... Before writing this review, I would just like to point out the fact that we (me and 2 mates) justed wanted a simple hotel. We were just going to sleep there basically. The hotel can be found quite easily when stepping off the T-bahn.

Check-in women were very pleasant. Got our room keys and went to our allocated room. The room was very small and just very plain. Then we found out the safe did not work, WiFi connection in the room was non-existent (except when opening and sitting next to the room door), though the staff said there was a reliable WiFi connection in the room. When we told the staff about the safe, the recepionist called another someone of the staff, to then inform us that the safe was not capable using. They did offer to keep our valuables in the reception during our visit, though we chose not to.

After been travelling and out sightseeing Berlin we went back to the hotel, where we visited the hotel bar. The bartender was nice and very service minded, but the bar itself was dreadful.

The next day we spent most of the day outside the hotel, the only thing was I needed another pillow, which I was given without any hesitation. Thumbs up!

The following morning we got up early. We all agreed that it would be better to eat breakfast somewhere else than at the hotel breakfast buffet/whatever. Never ate breakfast here so cannot really comment on how that experience was, tho when we asked the staff where we could get a nice breakfast, they could only recommend their own breakfast restaurant. The reason we chose to go other places was simply see a little more of Berlin while walking to the restaurant of choice we made. All we wanted was a little help of recommendation from the hotel staff, which we simply did not get.

When we got back to the hotel we bought a variation of beers (at the local supermarket) we were going to consume in our room, but we wanted to start off with something refreshing (i.e. cold water) due to warm weather and all the walking. I went down to the hotel bar to ask for some ice cubes. No - was the simple answer. They only had one bucket of ice cubes for the night (the older barman told me) ! Went back up to the room in utter confusion...

I got back to the room. Between me and my mates we discussed which beer to start off with. We agreed on one, then pour the same amount of beer into each of our glasses. The glass I was given, had been turned upside down, the paper table decoration was stuck to out. I pulled the paper off to find out that the glass was dirty and had not been cleaned/swapped from the previous guests whom had been in the room before us. I went back down to the reception with the dirty glass and ask for a new one.This was not easy. When the receptionist finally understood the glass was dirty he did not seem to do whatsoever about it. I had to ask again for a new glass, though the receptionist said he could not do much about it. Eventually he went into the breakfast restaurant, came back out with a cup-glass-mugg thing, had an attitude that I was some kind of a fool and did not apologize for such a simple thing as this.

The last thing I want to point out is do not ask the staff for directions to anywhere you want to go/visit. We found it very confusing a couple of times and ended up asking Berlins locals whom were much more polite and gave us easier/correct directions to where we wanted to go.

I do feel I am a little harsh on giving a 1 "star" rating, since some of the staff were quite pleasant (f ex the housekeeping lady and young(er) bartender). Though the simple small things that are so easy and are not time consuming in any way to solve, just seemed like a huge bother when informed of.

Berlin is a great city, though I doubt going back anytime soon. If I ever go back, I certainly will not be staying at Novum Hotel Aldea Berlin.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Yoda O
surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Location of this hotel is good, just few steps away from bulowstrass u-BahnCard station.
Good restaurants and cafés are just around the corner.
Rooms were small but clean.
On my second night I called the reception desk to tell them that the pipe under the sink
Started leaking. They asked me to come down to the reception desk to pick up
Some towels and place them under the pipe. There were no maintenance personnel that early
Evening to fix it so it kept me awake all night...
Thanks a lot for good service.....

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Location is perfect, just a short walk from the subway (H1 and H2) and 3 bus stops.There is an apotheke (pharmacy) right next to it and several cafes and restaurants around the building. Friendly staff, large and clean rooms with free wifi. Shower is ok at most, but does the job. This is a 3 star hotel and it delivers what expected. If you are in Berlin and just need an affordable but good, clean and well located hotel to drop your bags and shower, it doesn't get much better (or cheaper) than this one.
Two important tips: Ask for a room with an even number, so your window is facing the courtyard, not the street. Much quieter. And Mokambo Cafe around the corner to the right is a GREAT and cheap place for breakfast (if you decide not to pay for the one at the Hotel) a snack and drinks, plus if you don't speak German, just like almost anywhere in Berlin, they all speak English, so no worries your getting food.
I rate this a 5 because the hotel delivers what promised and I will surely stay there again next time I'm in Berlin.

Room Tip: Choose a room with an even number (facing the courtyard, and not the street). Even with double layer...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
NovumGroupHotels, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Novum Hotel Aldea Berlin Zentrum, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Lucas,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
We are delighted that you had a nice stay in our Hotel Aldea.
We would be very pleased if we can welcome you again soon.

Kind regards,
Aldea Team
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

The hotel met all of our needs in Berlin. It provided a good base to explore the city being a right on the U2 line which is direct to the center as well as bus station. Rooms were small and a bit worn out, but didn't really impact our stay. Reception was friendly and you interact often as you must leave your key each time you depart.

Breakfast was fine, the only hot food being scrambled eggs, but plenty of cereals, yogurts, cheese, meat, and bread.

The area has a certain charm and large Turkish community with plenty of unique shops and cheap late night food options. Sure there were plenty of street walkers, but they don't harm anyone and are entertaining.

I'd recommend signing up for the Novum card to get free benefits such as 5 Euro (rather than 7.90) breakfast and late checkout - even if you're just staying there once. Wifi worked well in rooms.

Overall the value and a location make the hotel a good choice if you're looking for a decent place to sleep without expecting too much else.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your nice review on Tripadvisor..
We are delighted that you had a nice time in Berlin.
We would be glad to welcome you again in one of our Novum Hotels.

Faithfully Yours