“Good Budget Hotel”

Hotel Prens Berlin
Ranked #340 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
“Good Budget Hotel”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Good budget hotel, no frills, in a great location. Take the UBahn to the touristy sections during the day, visit the bars in this areas at night. Friendly staff, clean rooms. My internet password didn't work well, so instead I went to a nearby bar and used their wifi with a nice beer.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hanudellopez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Eastern Region UK
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in mid March and were very pleased with Hotel Prens. It is freshly decorated, kept spotlessly clean, the bed was comfortable and the hotel was well heated. There is cable TV in the room with a good selection of channels including BBC World News. The shower etc was very good. The staff were helpful and spoke/understood English. A typical self service Deutsche breakfast, with a good selection, was offered in the reception area. The building is double glazed and was peaceful at the rear. The front faces a main road. The hotel is some 3 mins walk from the U Bahn station. In summary, it was good VFM and we would return.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FernandoPugh
Fuerth, Germany
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Our room was lovely and clean. The bed was big and comfortable.
Though the elevator only stops between floors, the first floor can be accessed by stair lift.
Breakfast was nothing fancy, but good.
My only complaint is that there was a TV in the breakfast room / lobby but the volume was turned down, so I guess it's not so bad.
The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 26 September 2012

A decent hotel in not so clean corner of Berlin. It is close to two subway stations – Schönleinstrasse and Kottbusser Tor –, but I recommend the first, since the area around Kottbusser Tor can be intimidating in the evening.
Actually, we were 4 persons, so we took a taxi almost every time... only big Mercedes cars... around 10 euros to everywhere in the city's central area.
The hotel is clean, but the rooms are really small if you go basic. And keep in mind that the elevator stops between floors, so you have to go up or down a set of stairs every time.
The people are friendly and helpful.
Not much to see in the vicinity and I didn't notice any remarkable restaurants nearby. Plenty of turkish fast and slow food around. And a good and colorful market 100 meters away, by the river.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andrei C
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 August 2012

This hotel cuts a lot of corners, which isn't a huge problem, until it is. I can live without a "Do Not Disturb" sign, but their stairs are covered with a red runner. I don't know if they wanted to make it look thicker, or there was a problem with the stairs, but the runner is on top of about 2 cms of plywood. Because the runner doesn't go to the edge of the stair (I would guess there's about 10 cms that is not covered between the runner and the stair). When I was leaving, and carrying my bags down the stairs (you always have to walk one flight), my foot ended up on the edge of the runner and I fell down several steps, with my bags falling on top of me. I'm young (ish) and only have a sprained ankle, but it hurts SO bad!

Other things that bothered me (but I'd give it 3 stars if it weren't for the stairs): there is no fan and no AC and no screens on the windows. They also don't have top sheets. It was too hot for the duvets, but I would have liked a sheet to keep the bugs off. (I did only get 1 bite in 4 nights, but there were a lot of dead bugs on the sheets, and they wouldn't change them every night.)

They were also a little parsimonious with their towels--1 regular towel and 1 large-hand-towel per person, per day. If it hadn't been so hot, this wouldn't have been an issue.

I didn't like the mattresses. Very hard, but no support on the edges--I actually almost fell out of bed one night. Also, they swayed back and forth when my partner moved at all.

That said, it is a great location and it is clean. SO small--I couldn't charge my laptop at night because the cord nearly hit the bed, but I charged it during the day and we got used to it being so small. But my ankle hurts SO badly, and they just seem to cut a ton of corners in ways that are not predictable.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank flahooley

Travellers are raving about these Berlin hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I chose this location because it was near a friend. The hotel staff was very accommodating. For a single american, the single rooms are very small so I upgraded to a double for an additional 5E. There was ample room there. The breakfasts are good standard German breakfasts. The subway is very close. If noise is and issue for you take the rooms of the street side. I like lots of natural light so I took the street side.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank kristina d
Bruxelles
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed 3 nights to visit Berlin, the hotel is very clean and easily accessible with the subway. Nice flat screen TV, lots of restaurants in the area, very convenient if you need a place to eat at night. There is also a supermarket across the street which is nice if you need anything.
The only negative thing that could be the fact that there is no air conditioning in the room. Otherwise it's at 10 min from downtown Berlin and the price is very cheap for what you get.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo