“Nice place and good food”
Review of Girasol

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner
Neighbourhood: Pankow (Borough)
Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend came here for dinner last night wanting to try some Mexican food and we were not disappointed, lovely restaurant inside with good Latin music and friendly staff. Food was good - I had the chilli burrito and would also recommend the Mexican cola drink they advertise! Complementary tequila sunrise provided after the meal and prices for food very reasonable

Date of visit: August 2017

Reviewed 6 August 2017

After four months in Europe I suddenly felt a craving for Mexican food. While I love Tex-Mex it is not an easy choice in Germany. Most restaurants in the country are simply a far cry from the original and that is unfortunately also true for Girasol. Given the fairly good reviews on Tripadvisor I was hoping this was not so. Similar to water, there are no free chips and salsa in Mexican restaurants in Germany. One has to order those separately (€3.50-€7.80 depening on sauces). Don't! The chips are simply cut from factory made tacos and they taste no better than what you get in every supermarket. I ended up having Enchiladas Imperial which is basically two soft tacos with either chicken or ground beef. The plate comes with the usual Mexican sides such as guacamole, rice, refried beans and salad. The menu states that the dish came with red and green salsa and since I did not see them on the plate I asked if they had been left off. I was told that they were already inside the tacos but I could not taste them. No additional salsa was offered. The sides were actually all okay but the enachiladas themselves were disappointing. The fact that they were covered heavily in a layer of melted cheese (not the usual light sprinkling of graded cheese) did not help. My spouse had the hard Tacos de Carne. The dish was essentially the same as mine except what was supposed to be crispy hard tacos. However, the "hard" tacos were totally soggy and hard to distinguish from the soft version. Overall this a Mexican restaurant with very average food that only stays open because most Germans never had original Mexican or Tex-Mex. It would not even last a year in Mexico or the U.S. There is an inside and outside seating area. Service was also average to below average (the perfunctory question: how do you like it? came when the half full plates were cleared). So, if you are dying to eat Mexican, the place is okay in a pinch but it is certainly nothing to write home about.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

As Americans living in Germany we really miss Mexican food. We had given up trying to find anything that comes close to resembling good Mexican food outside of the western US and Mexico. For some reason, though, we just had to try again in Berlin. After scouring many reviews we settled on Girasols for our Sunday Mexican fix. Chips and salsa were first. Chips were heavy and darkly fried and the salsa lacked spice. Flautas up next, spinach and cheese; the spinach had some grit and the cheese was hard to discern. This dish did come with a very good green salad and a small pile of guacamole that was the star of the show. Mains were the beef burrito and the chicken enchiladas. Both meats were dry and had more of an Indian flavor than Mexican. Overall, this was what he had come to expect from Mexican food in Germany. Would we go back? No.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 12 April 2017

It's easy to be disappointed by a "pretend to be" mexican restaurant. Is not the case for this restaurant that offer a larg variety of food and drinks, with extremely good quality. The people are really friendly with adults and kids. They even offer a desserts becasue of my B-day besides a shots of frozen margarita (fantastic by the way). Prices absolutely competitive. Enjoy this place.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 27 October 2016 via mobile

We visited today and ordered chicken quesadillas and chicken in crispy tortilla wraps. The place was empty except for one other table and they looked to be drinking rather than eating.

The food came really fast, too quick to have beem cooked fresh and the more we ate, the more we began to feel uneasy about the food having been reheated. There was also a large side salad with the order but we couldn't finish it.
The interior feels very mexican and the music added to the atmosphere. I am sure it was the time of day which affected the quality of our meal as the place felt like it could be really good.

We also ordered a corn on the cob which was soggy from being overcooked and reheated so we couldn't eat it.

I can't recommend this place based on our experience.

Date of visit: October 2016