“Still a few kinks to iron out, but still qualifies as 5*, and will be 6”

Waldorf Astoria Berlin
Ranked #25 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Chicago, Illinois
“Still a few kinks to iron out, but still qualifies as 5*, and will be 6”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Opened just January 3, 2013, the Waldorf Astoria Berlin makes a grand presentation, and backs it up with one of the most outstanding hotel staffs I've ever encountered. From checkin, to the concierge team, to the doormen, to the checkout/bell staff, everyone was great.

As for the kinks, well, they were mostly technology related. Aiming to be a very tech-forward property, each room has a spiffy Samsung flat screen that's powered by an iMac mini. Nice, cool touch, easy to use internet, and the iMac serves as the local wireless node, so you don't have signal drift. However, our room's iMac needed to be rebooted, so that meant that we had no TV for a spell, internet was unreliable, and we couldn't figure out what it was. When calling down, they had to send two technicians up to look at it, because the system is so complex. Once rebooted, it worked like a charm. But that's a pretty big intervention to have to do.

The other issue was the air conditioning. The building has an outer "skin" that wraps the windows in your room (noise control, I think), and the windows open into the space between the skin and the room window. Well, this apparently turns off the A/C, but even after closing it, we couldn't get our room to cool down to a temperature we felt was comfortable -- and the evening temperatures were hovering around 8-10 degrees Celsius -- it was hardly hot out. Not sure if part of this is the notoriously wispy european air conditioning, or some flaw, but we couldn't really get the temperature where we wanted it to be.

Now: the Great Stuff. Must call out the concierge staff, particularly Linda and Christophe. Both were truly outstanding. Linda took more than 30 minutes with me late into the evening to help me decide which museums to visit, and helped me plan an itinerary based on the Berlin Museum Pass. Most helpful. Christophe is a whiz with the restaurant scene in Berlin, and even though we were checking out after a couple of nights to move to a hotel in Potsdamer Platz, gave us a card and said if we could use his help during the rest of our stay in Berlin, to feel free to call him and he'd arrange any reservations, etc., we would like. That is what a concierge is all about, and both he and Linda are credits to their profession and to the property.

The library on 15 is nice too, but we thought it might turn into wasted space. We enjoyed our "welcome champagne" up there -- Ruinart -- any hotel that serves Ruinart as complementary champagne has my vote -- but were the only ones there. The three times we went into the library, it was empty.

We'll be back, absolutely. It was lovely. And the location is awfully good too -- just a few minutes walk from the bustle of Kurfuerstendamm and the leafiness of Savignyplatz, and directly across the street from Bhf Zoo, where you can hop any U- or S-Bahn you need. Also right there is the Helmut Newton Stiftung -- a photography museum that should be at the top of everyone's list.

Room Tip: The rooms aren't big - so upgrade as far as your budget allows. Our room overlooked the Kudamm...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Gregor A, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Berlin, responded to this review, 15 December 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback on Tripadvisor. On the 28th of December 2014 we will celebrate our 2nd Birthday and there are several issues which we have improved during the last two years i.e. the air conditioning which you can turn off and on individually now in every single room.
It is really lovely to read your words of praise regarding our very professional and helpful staff. I am very proud that I can count on the mentioned staffmembers. Linda just achieved the highest professional recognition which is the “clefs d’or” as our other three concierges.
I am delighted to read your very detailed description of our exclusive and unique Waldorf Astoria and its location and we are already looking forward to welcoming you very soon again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Australia, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Following a recomendation from a friend, i decided to try this hotel out The service was excellent from the time i arrived. I was welcomed and provided with an overview of the hotel facilites and then escorted to my room and in turn provided with a detailed overview of the facilities available in the room Hotel staff are friendly and keen to help and provide tips based on local knowledge All in all, a great stay and a fabulous hotel in an amazing City

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Gregor A, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Berlin, responded to this review, 28 November 2014
All our very best wishes from Berlin to the fifth continent!!! What a great posting about our beautiful property! We are delighted to inform you that we just won the Word Travel Award 2014 for the best Leading Hotel in Germany and for the best Suite and in April for the best Luxury hotel Spa! Please come back very soon!
LA
Reviewed 24 May 2013

My colleagues and I stayed at the Waldorf back in February not long after it opened and wow. I was blown away with every facet of the hotel. The rooms are flat out amazing with a heated bathroom floor and TV in the bathroom mirror. I found the TV service nice, but somewhat clunky as it was difficult to get the Apple TV to work. I would have liked to been able to stream content from my ipad to the TV using Apple TV. Regardless the rooms were absolutely perfect.

There are two reasons that I did not give this hotel 5 stars.

1. All in my party agree that it is severely overstaffed. I know that is weird to say, but stay there and you will get what I mean. In the lobby we were greeted by three or four bellmen, then once we entered there were two people standing right in the lobby and a third was manning the lobby looking to get people drinks. That is in addition to the 3 or 4 front desk staff. What makes it weird though is when waiting in the lobby you smothered. If I made eye-contact with someone they asked if I needed something. I also felt like we were being watched despite being dressed nicely in suits waiting for other people. Again, I know it is weird, but just a vibe.

2. I was with someone in the lobby waiting for others to come down from their rooms. In the lobby they have a set up for coffee, tea and champagne. While waiting to go to dinner a polite lady came up and asked if we would like a glass of champagne. We said sure. We got two glasses of champagne. As our colleagues came down and we were preparing to leave we were hit with a bill for €52.00!!!!! Are you kidding. The aura is it is complimentary and she even offered. I guess for the majority of the clientele this hotel caters it isn't an issue, but i found that to be very off-putting. Fine if it isn't complimentary but €52.00 without advance notice!!!

Those two issues really are minor. This hotel is 5 stars in every other aspect. All of the staff were fantastic. Great concierge, front desk and bar staff. I absolutely will stay here again, but beware the expensive champagne.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank juxta30
Thank you for your lovely recognition and the detailed description of our elegant Waldorf Astoria Berlin.The team will be thrilled to read your kind words!
We are looking forward to welcoming you very soon again in this amazing city and our beautiful property.
Chatteris, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Having stayed in two different Waldorf Astoria's before I was not expecting to find the Waldorf in Berlin to be any different, but what a surprise we got. The staff were courteous and well versed in the English Language and nothing was ever too much. The hotel is new and only opened this year, so everything is sparkling new and stunning. A well run and highly recommended Hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: All rooms in this hotel are a high quality, but to get a good price, it is worth booking the pre pai...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
We are simply overwhelmed to read your wonderful comments regarding our staff. We pride ourselves on our personal service and your comments suggest that we are achieving our aim. I will proudly forward your compliments to my collaborators. Thank you also for your very nice description of our beautiful property and we are already looking forward to welcoming you very soon again at the Waldorf Astoria Berlin.
Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Moved to this relatively new hotel for the business part of a five days stay in Berlin. It is in excellent/convenient location from a shopping and public transport point of view. The biggest plus are the modern, functional, brightly decorated and good sized rooms with very nice bathrooms. The food is overall good, but unfortunately the breakfast buffet has been pushed into a side corridor and the restaurant feels rather impersonal. The staff is friendly and helpful, and will get even better once everybody has been in position for longer. The only outage is, in MHO, a complete lack of character. If you get dropped there blindfolded you would not know which chain or city you are in...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
What a great posting about our beautiful property from romantic Salzburg ! Regarding your comment about the character of our unique hotel we would love to receive your visit very soon again in order to show you that we have improved a lot since we have opened and in 28th December 2012! We are delighted to inform you that we just won the Word Travel Award 2014 for the best Leading Hotel in Germany and for the best Suite and in April for the best Luxury hotel Spa. The entire team of the Waldorf Astoria Berlin is already looking forward to welcoming you very soon again at our beautiful property
Nam
Reviewed 12 May 2013

It was a pleasure as a guest, to stay at this wonderful hotel.A city hotel with a passion for looking after its guests. All the staff were attentive and professional, a truly wonderful weekend, and the restaurant was superb (a separate review for that!). I cannot thank the staff enough for making it a wonderful weekend, Thank you all !

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Friedrich N, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Berlin, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you so much for your stay at our hotel. I am realy glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and my team was so attentive to your needs. I will be sure to share your comments with all.

Should your travels bring you back this way, I hope you will stay again with us.

Warm regards from Berlin
Friedrich W. Niemann
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

Our first trip to Berlin and how fortunate that we booked the Waldorf - from the courteous and friendly welcome from Simon at the front desk, who really guided us as to where to go to eat and quick ways to see the sights, he was really out of the top drawer - which you should expect from a hotel group with the reputation and prices which go with it. Our room- upgraded to a suite without any input from us,was really lovely ,large and above all,comfortable .Breakfast was brilliant- a large choice,all choices catered for with staff who seem really happy to serve you and you have the same impression when you have contact with any of the staff. It's a top class hotel and we were very happy with our stay - we can't say better than that.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Friedrich N, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Berlin, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Dear guests

Thank you for choosing your stay with us. I am glad to hear that Simon was so attentive to your wishes. I will be sure to share your comments with him.

Thank you also for taking the time to write your heartfelt review, and I hope to see you return to us soon to shape your own unique Waldorf experience.

Warm regards