“Very pleased, considering the price”
Review of Hotel Carat

Hotel Carat
Hotel Carat
Ranked #454 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
nyc
“Very pleased, considering the price”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I'm actually writing this from my room in this hotel right now. Been here a week. Booked this room online mainly because it was so cheap. Paid $48(US) a night. I wasn't expecting much. Wasn't planning to be in the room too much so it wasn't that important. I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised with the hotel. Yes, the room is small, but it is very clean. My room also has an outside terrace, which I wasn't expecting. The staff have all been very friendly and helpful, and most of them speak english. Another pleasant surprise was the hotel restaurant, very cozy, and the food is good. The location isn't ideal for sightseeing, the main attractions(Brandenburg, Museum Island, etc.) are about 4 miles away. Very close to Tegal airport, tho.
As most other reviewers have noted, the street noise is an issue. I sleep heavy so didn't bother me. But light sleepers may have a problem with it.
The breakfast was good, but it was an extra charge. I guess with the dicount rate I paid they don't include it. I think if you pay full price for the room it is included. But I can't complain at 50 bucks a night. Wifi is also extra, about 6euro for a 24hr period.
Overall, I am very happy with the hotel. For the price I paid I have to give the highest rating. Would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a decent hotel at a cheap price, and I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you sleep light get a room on top floor away from the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Dave460

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I really was impressed by this hotel; especially because of how low the price was. The room was clean and very nice. It had an old feel to it but the bathroom was still updated. The customer service was amazing. They always greeted me warmly and answered all of my questions. They also let me leave my luggage there for a day after I checked out. The housekeeping was amazing. I had left in a hurry the first morning and kind of left my stuff all over the place. She straightened everything and even folded my night shirt! My only problem with this hotel was the location. It was about a ten minute walk to the nearest U-Bahn and at night the area was a little sketchy. Since I was alone I was uncomfortable but if I had been with someone else it wouldn't have been a big deal.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank StaceyM1
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Fist positive impression - my room was ready at 11 o'clock in the morning. The staff is very friendly. Location is good to get to the Tegel airport (10-15 mins by bus). but you have to walk about 10 mins to reach the bus stop (or to use one more bus), which is next to u-bahn station by the way..
Cost was very cheap - 39 eur for single room without breakfast!
Rooms are rather old, but very tidy and nice looking.
Wifi was free (although receptionist told me that it is only for money :)).
The only thing I didn't like is that the room was rather noisy - I could hear cars in the streets and plains were constantly descending on their way to the airport.
I'd recommend to those having an early flight but take care of your ears :).

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank chatzealot
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I was weary because the front desk employees changed four times in the 24 hours we were there but other than that this place serves its need. Not luxurious at all. Very basic but it is clean. Overall i would highly recommend for short stays. There is no air conditioning if you were wondering. Typical european hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We arrived at 9pm at night for an early morning flight the next day. We were quoted at a 42 Euro Rate online and the reception delivered this excellent rate. The rooms were very clean and well appointed with a nice TV and cable. The shower was hot and the bed was very comfortable. I really enjoyed being in an older building using a key and an old Elevator and staircase.
We have an infant child and the staff kept our food in their refrigerator and brought it to us in the morning. They made sure all of our needs were met and called a taxi cab for us at 4:30am in the morning.
When we are in Berlin for a longer trip we will stay here again for a much better rate than the larger chains and less of a corporate feel.

Room Tip: Close to Tegel Airport about a 10-15 Euro Charge. The hotel does not over a buffet but for the price...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Todd R
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 23 December 2011

This hotel is excellent value for money. We got a really good deal (40 Euros per night). Room and bathroom were standard and clean. The hotel is a short walk away from the Airport bus stop (which is also the U-Bahn station for getting to Berlin center). There are lots of cafes/shops around, and a big supermarket too (which also has a counter with freshly prepared food). There is a friendly Turkish Doner place right opposite the hotel, and a decent but smoky bar on the way between the metro station and the hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 Thank inamesh
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 4 November 2011

The hotel is situated minutes away from a bus stop to Tegel Airport. I wouldn't stay here for more than one night. The place is noisy not only because of the traffic but also because of poor sound isolation between the rooms. We heard our neighbors having really good time together in 1 o'clock in the morning so we couldn't sleep.
On the other hand, I liked the room very much. The furniture is really nice and you have everything you need - a table with chair, wardrobe. There were also paper, envelopes, pen and other stuff in the table. Our big bed was comfortable. The bathroom was nice too. They got everything there including hairdryer.
The stuff was helpful and welcoming. We came in the morning before check-in time so we had to put our luggage somewhere. The only place for that was little room meant for using computer, fax and other things. The elevator and stairs in the hotel are really narrow. But it's not a problem.
I would recommend staying here to catch early flight from Tegel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple