“nice and well located”

Mercure Hotel Berlin Mitte
Ranked #86 of 634 Hotels in Berlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Vasteras, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

The location is actually rather ideal. There may not be much right around the corner, but with one minute's walk to the subway lines U1 and U2, you can get wherever you need to go in a jiffy. If you're feeling up to it, and weather permitting, you can walk to Potsdamer Platz in about ten minutes. Other sights and locations in the city center are not far from there. The immediate area of the hotel were extremely quiet at night (and day!), which is good for sleeping in following a night out, and the area never felt unsafe.

The room had all the usual amenities, though I really felt the absence of an in-room safe and air conditioning. One window had a screen against insects, though even keeping it open 24/7 didn't bring the temperature down much, since it faced the courtyard, and the room was on the second floor. I was told they have A/C in other rooms, though it meant upgrading. I think A/C should be standard in all rooms these days, so I'm afraid this will detract from the overall rating of this hotel. The in-room safe might seem trivial, but I've come to expect it in rooms of this type and price range. The minibar held very uninteresting items, though the old trick of emptying it to leave room for your own stuff worked without complaints from the hotel. The fridge was very small though, and it's not an ideal solution. An extra, or larger, fridge would be a nice addition to enhance the experience. Instant coffee and tea bags were available along with a water boiler, which is nice to have. One last thing: some hotel booking sites mention the ability to have an extra bed in the room, this is not possible. Booked a double with this in mind, but getting there it turned out they couldn't even offer a simple folding-bed, meaning you'll have to share. This is not a major issue, many hotels have only double beds, though it's something you should be aware of when booking.
You should also know that even though the Wi-Fi is free, it's extremely slow.

The aforementioned courtyard was freely open to use after breakfast was open, and though it's small with many windows looking in, it was a rather comfy place to spend some time relaxing between forays into the city. The staff in the lobby was very friendly and helpful. Would really like to extend a big thanks for all the tips and friendly advice we received.

In summary this hotel is what you expect for the price, and even though there's room for improvement, the issues are rather minor and the location makes up for most of it. I would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: The noise from the courtyard can be distracting. If you're sensitive to this, and particularly i...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Mercure4988, Manager at Mercure Hotel Berlin Mitte, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Christoff,

we very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I will share your comments with our team.

Your feedback is very important for us and we thank you for taking your time to let us know that you were not totally satisfied with your room.

First I may explain that the hotel has different room categories according to the size and to the equipment. All our standard double rooms have a queen size bed and have from 15,33 qm to 19,9 qm. The superior double rooms have a king size bed and have from 17,71 qm to 24,21 qm. On request we provide some of the superior double rooms with a folding bed.

As for your comment regarding the air condition and the in room safes I assure you that I can understand your view. The hotel is partially air-conditioned. You are right the temperature in the standard double rooms is not very pleasant during these hot summer days. Usually we provide fans for our guests to get a better air quality in the room. As our rooms do not have in-room safes we provide safes at the reception.

Dear Christoff, thank you again for sharing your positive feedback as well as your concerns and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Kindest regards
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I had a pleasant stay in this hotel.

Location: great location and super safe. Just 10 steps from Gleisdreieck station which is in a "central line". You can fastly reach other lines and main stations from there. Restaurants and bars are just a short walk from the hotel.

Staff: all very friendly and helpful.

Room: lot of space and clean. There is no AC and during the summer your room can be very warm. I was in the first floor in back side. As there was no AC, I had to sleep with open windows. Late in the night I could listen to people in the garden and smell their cigarattes. Early in the morning I could listen to people having their breakfast in the garden.

Room service: they start it very early. Some of the days the person knocked my door around 9 am to clean my room and I was still there. Not big issue but if you wake up late, put the DON'T DISTURB sign in the door.

Breakfast: great and generous.

Free Wi-Fi!

I will definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend to my friends.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Mercure4988, Manager at Mercure Hotel Berlin Mitte, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Kindest regards
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

That was my second stay in the Mercure Mitte and don't think it will be my last. Its location is in a secluded, quiet spot, very tranquil yet a short walk away from Postdamer Platz along the canal and opposite Gleisdreick station on U2 and U1, two lines that bring you anywhere in Berlin in no time. At the end of street you are in Gleisdreick park, ideal for a long walk in a striking new landscape. The hotel is excellent at all level, spotless, spacious, with a very pleasant large breakfast area and a courtyard with fish pond. The staff is very friendly and helpful at all time. I had a great room on the top floor and slept 4 nights better there than in a long time. I really couldn't not fault it and unless you want to be in a busy hub of restaurants and cafes, it is pretty perfect. Totally recommend.

Stayed July 2014
Mercure4988, Manager at Mercure Hotel Berlin Mitte, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear guest,

thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay and for your recommendation. It is always a pleasure for us to receive positive feedback and I will share it with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragment to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
With best regards
Sigrid Scheide & team
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is a great little hotel, but not in hot weather. There is no air conditioning, and it takes a long time to cool down at night during a heat wave, which Berlin was having during the 3 nights we were there. It was quite uncomfortable even with the windows wide open. That's the only negative and I would go back in cooler weather.

Very compact, with rooms centered over a courtyard where you can have breakfast. The buffet is excellent, with almost every kind of food, from salmon and cheeses to eggs and sausage and fruit. It's located on the edge of the Mitte right near a UBahn subway line which is 2 stops from Potsdamer Platz. The staff are warm and helpful. So, except for no AC,this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cfuller603
Mercure4988, Manager at Mercure Hotel Berlin Mitte, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear guest,

we very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. It is always a pleasure for us to receive positive feedback and I will share your comments with our team.
The Hotel is partially air-conditioned and usually we provide fans for the standard double rooms. I am very sorry that your room had no fan. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this occurrence.
Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope to welcoming you again at your next visit to Berlin.
Yours sincerely
-Manager-
Whitstable
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

The hotel is in a wonderfully central location with quick access to the underground and bus services. and only a few minutes' walk from the famous KaDeWe department store.

Slightly quirky but nevertheless a good hotel. My room was a very strange shape, and the bathroom was extremely small for an hotel of that class.

Service was generally very good, but it was annoying that the reception and bar areas were completely abandoned for a while when I wanted them to order a taxi for me: when time was running short,, knowing the area well, I had no option but to walk to the nearest taxi rank.

The bar is small but open until quite late most evenings, but I did get caught out one evening when it closed early. The breakfast was of a reasonable standard for the Continent, bearing in mind that Germans tend to eat smaller breakfasts than the British. However the breakfast room was too small when the hotel was full, fine when there were fewer guests there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Frank D
Mercure4988, Manager at Mercure Hotel Berlin Mitte, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear guest,

thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay in our hotel and for your recommendation. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I will share your comments with our team. We would be happy to welcoming you again and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

With best regards