“Excellent”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
“Excellent”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Top hotel, one of the best rooms i have been in sofar. Excellent service. Fantastic location. For me a 5 star experience. Free wifi and even a tablet to use in your room. Price of the room was very good value.

Breakfast for 28 euros however is of course a ridiculous price.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Great all-round experience with the only slight caveat being the price - found it a little expensive. Having said that everything else about the stay was pretty much faultless.
Super spacious room (one of the biggest I've had in a long time) with a wonderfully comfortable bed. which led to a great night's sleep. Superb bathroom and all very clean and well-appointed.
Found staff to be both friendly and efficient.
Would recommend a stay there to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Luxembourg
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

2-day business trip, decided to stay in attractive and alive Potsdamerplatz area. Hotel The Mandala is facing the Sony Center, next to cinema and close to theaters (went to see the Blue Men Show) - perfect location to enjoy evening !

The Mandala Hotel offers huge business suites which made my stay unbelievable : big bathroom, sitting area with office, bedroom with nice big tv, walking dressing, kitchen area : could live there :) wifi worked perfectly and the balcony is useful (surely in summer)

I loved it !!!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We enjoyed a four night stay at the Mandala in late November and were extremely impressed with the standards of accommodation, the helpfulness of staff and the location of the hotel in relation to tourist sights.
Contrary to experiences expressed in some previous reviews, we were warmly welcomed on arrival, escorted to our room on the 8th floor and provided with a map and helpful explanations of the directions to the main points of interest.
The room was spacious, spotless and very well insulated against both the cold weather and noise. We liked the large, very comfortable bed, the piping hot water, the hot drink making facilities, the large flat screen TV and the relaxing modern decor.
Breakfast was excellent and taken in a room that oozed sophistication. There was plenty of choice with both cold and hot dishes and standards were high. Service was smooth and efficient.
There were no long waits for lifts. We made use of the lobby computer with ease. An airport transfer was arranged seamlessly.
PS: We got a very good B+B deal on this hotel through Otel.com.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Airport transfer arranged through hotel was easy and seamless.

The hotel facilities are designed in a pleasant, modern, "design hotel" style. The front desk area is very small and it seems that as a result there is no actual concierge but instead front desk staff trying to also play the role of a concierge. The bottom line on this is that you will not receive 5-star-level concierge services for this hotel. When we asked for recommendations, we were uniformly disappointed with the suggestions we received. For example, we asked where to have breakfast and were sent on a walk across town to what ended up being a below-average mall food court, with only a below-average pastry place open.

Checking in was easy. We had come from the US so arrived around 10:30 am, well before actual check-in time. However, our room was ready within an hour, including having the luggage delivered before we reached the room. This is a big plus for two travelers like us who were worn out from the long overnight flight.

The rooms in this hotel are spacious, intelligently designed, and well decorated with modern European touches. No complaints at all about the room. One cool feature was the free use of a Galaxy tablet computer in the room. I do a lot of travel and that was a first for me. Very cool. Also, the rooms featured free wifi.

The spa rooms are very nice. The massage was very good.

Likewise the Q bar/lounge was really cool place and had excellent premium craft cocktails.

My biggest issue with the hotel was with the bill. Our reservation said that breakfast was not included and would be €28 pp/day. We thought that expensive and ended up eating elsewhere. We were told this again at check-in, i.e. breakfast was not included in the room rate. On checkout, the front desk girl noted that breakfast was included in my room. I expressed my frustration to her that I had paid for other breakfast outside the hotel both days and would have liked to have eaten at the hotel (which is said to have a good restaurant). We showed her our reservation which I already noted said it would be €28 pp/day. Anyway, she read off the incidentals we had incurred during our stay and when I said that sounded correct, she then printed a bill for me to sign. Not until I was in a cab on my way out of town did a realize that they charged me for breakfast anyway--€30 for both days! If they're charging me for it, it clearly wasn't included in my room rate and moreover they charged me for two breakfasts that we did not even have the chance to eat. I will be taking this issue up with the booking agent and the hotel. I expect a refund of those two charges.

Other nits: no turndown service, and room service not available after midnight (keep in mind Berlin is late-night central). We tried to order room service on the Hotel's Samsung Galaxy tablet at around 1am. Hearing nothing for a half hour, we called and were told that room service closes at midnight. We then went to sleep. Strangely, at 4 am our phone rings. It is the front desk calling to tell us our room service order cannot be done because the kitchen is closed. Not sure why we got this call. We shouldn't have since the issue had been resolved. My wife did not appreciate be awoken for essentially no reason.

One other thing is that for some strange reason the famous restaurant (Michelin starred) is close on Saturdays. Strange? And even though we were hotel guests, we we not able to get a booking despite calling months in advance to check. I've stayed at hotels with busy Michelin restaurants before and all of them have always allowed me to eat since I was a guest of the hotel. Not here. Big disappointment.

I am giving this hotel 4 stars because I really like the good aspects I pointed out above and want to be fair. However, I was so angry when I realized they had essentially cheated me out of $60 that my human emotion makes me want to rank this hotel much lower.

In any event, I strongly believe this is a nice hotel but far from a true 5 star in terms of both facilities and services. Based on all the little nits and the big nit about the breakfast charges, I'm torn about recommending this hotel to others or whether I would come back.

• Stayed November 2013
7 Thank RamblingRazorback
Marlborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

we actually went here on business and were working over the weekend so wanted somewhere pleasant to return to and did we get that. This hotel doesn't look much from the front but that is very very different from the reality. Everything about this hotel is so carefully and beautifully executed it made the visit so much more enjoyable.

Our room was a management suite and was lovely, everything is very very clean and the bathroom was simply gorgeous. The staff are some of the best service I have had travelling the world and the food there is excellent.

You will not go wrong with this hotel and we are actually planning another visit so we can enjoy this hotel at our leisure

Room Tip: Whilst we only stayed in one room the way this hotel is run I can't imagine there would be a bad...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Our trip to Berlin was to celebrate our 10th Wedding anniversary, with that in mind my husband pushed the boat out and booked the The Mandala for a bit of luxury and we weren't disappointed. From the moment we checked in until we left everything was perfect.
We had a suite up on the 8th floor (I'd highly recommend room 828!) and it was amazing. We had arrived very early and our room wasn't ready which we fully expected however our bags were taken, we went off for lunch and when we arrived back we were handed our room keys and the bags were up in our suite. The suite was modern but still cosy and the carpet so thick you could see our footprints in it. The bed was very large and comfortable. The kitchenette was well stocked with glasses/crockery/cutlery etc.
We ate breakfast every morning in Facil and we couldn't fault it , the service and presentation was excellent.
All members of staff we encountered were helpful and pleasant and all had a "Guten Tag" for us.
It is ideally located across from the Sony Centre (we went to the cinema on the first night as we were a bit tired from travelling etc - they show films in their original language so lots of new release films in English) , Postdamer Platz train station is literally across the street and we visited all the major attractions on foot from our base at The Mandala. There are lots of good restaurants/bars close by (check out Billy Wilders across the street, some very fancy cocktail making goes on there)

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in The Mandala Hotel.

Room Tip: Our suite was facing into the courtyard that housed Facil which meant we heard none of the usual cit...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple