“Nice staff but very poor management”
Review of The Mandala Hotel

The Mandala Hotel
Ranked #8 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 6 August 2007

We just returned from Berlin after we booked two 5 day packages for this hotel through LuxuryLink. Since each package included a dinner at their restaurant (Facil) I had emailed the hotel to make certain that the reservations had been made and for which nights, as I had requested in March when I booked the stay.

Two days before we left, I received an email stating that the restaurant was closed. After a game of email tag, they wrote that they agreed to book us in another restaurant. Fine.

When we arrived, the staff was very nice and helpful, held our luggage for us, gave us some tips, brought us towels to freshen up, etc. Couldn't have been nicer. Then it all fell apart.

They also did not mention that the hotel was being renovated. Drilling and hammering started at 8:30 a.m. and paint fumes filled the halls to the point of giving us a headache. Also, try getting a newspaper delivered to your room. They finally got it right by the time we left.

The final straw was trying to book the second dinner. The first one they arranged was great - Vox which I highly recommend. I kept asking whether we could book the second dinner for the night before we left. After much hand wringing from the staff let me know that the manager would need to approve it. I kept repeating taht the package included two dinners. They kept telling me that the manager would call. That never happened. Finally one morning there was a note on the desk which I found after coming out of the shower. It indicated that they would allow us a second dinner at Le Forbourg restaurant at 8pm. Now the manager's tone of “allowing us” was annoying since we paid for his as part of the package. Long story to short, the restaurant had no reservation or idea of any arrangement. It was very embarrassing. Sitting down to what was one of the worst meals in Berlin (we never had the chance to order wine, needed a flare to get a waiter, basically inedible food, you get the idea), we were out of there in a half an hour. The front desk at the hotel apologized said they’d take care of it.

After waiting for three hours for a response from the manager, I finally camped out in the lobby to wait for him (Herr Schaeffer). He first said that he tried to speak with me and there was no answer at our room, which was a lie since we sat there for three hours. Then he basically told me that there's nothing he could do, they'd pay for that meal at that restaurant, not arrange another and blamed the entire episode on Luxury Link. Then proceeded to tell me that the restaurant did indeed have a reservation for us and that there was a miscommunication. THEN he proceeded to tell me that they had placed phone calls me to letting me know that the restaurant was closed and that they were renovating.This was not the case and his accusitory tone was at best rude, at worst innappropriate. His lack of customer care was a nightmare. I Seems like he had someone to blame for everything - including us! If you’re going to offer a package, don’t make the clients feel like welfare cases by using the amenities, Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
11  Thank BOBDNYC

Reviewed 25 July 2007

It was our second experience. This time was much beter then last time. Comfortable place with clever management .Well done!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank Anna K
Reviewed 21 June 2007

I stayed on a quick, overnight business trip to Berlin - so not much time to experience all aspects of the hotel. A good position in the 'new centre' of the city. Not much of an entrance to the hotel, with a small lobby. Check in was quick and efficient.

The bedrooms are great. Spacious, well designed and stylish decor. There is even a small kitchen area in the room - which I would presume is great for a long stay. The entertainment choices are quite domestic (not many English channels on offer). Oversized bathrooms are also a another plus.

The bar is quite small, but nicely designed and perfect for a quick drink, before heading out to enjoy the city. I only experienced the restaurant for breakfast - which was very good. The restaurant is a 'glass block' in the central courtyard - a chic start to the day.

Definately a good recommendation for travellers who like to shy away from the 'chain hotel' experience.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 June 2007

Though I have stayed at more expensive hotels, I have never stayed at a better hotel. I found the Mandala to be first rate. The room was fantastic. Great room, great bed and bath, great view. Everything worked just as it is supposed to work. Wonderful design with great attention to detail. Free access to the outstanding health club facilities was a wonderful added benefit. The restaurants were tremendous. The people were friendly and accommodating. The location couldn’t be better.

My only concern with writing this straightforward review is that the Mandala will become too popular and I won't be able to get a room there the next time I return. .

I enjoyed it so much that when I arrived, I immediately took a couple of pictures to email to my wife - who wasn't with me on this trip. I included them below.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
3  Thank Wafflekyd
Reviewed 2 June 2007

The Potsdamer Platz area itself is amazing, must be seen to believe the incredible modern architecture that has arisen in such a short time after the Wall came down. Well this hotel with its unassuming facade is perfect in every way, Superior location, convenient to trains, S and U Bahn, fabulous new shopping arcade and wonderful abundance of restaurants, not to mention the Sony Center, Lego Land, German Movie Museum all directly across the street. Hotel itself is ultra modern, enormous rooms, some of which have balconies, which over look a quiet inner green area. Our room for three had a separate desk/bed area for our son with his own balcony, so we lucked out with two balconies. Rooms are more than twice the size of your typical standard European hotel. Gigantic bathroom also, with bathrobes and slippers of course, good water pressure too. Didn't get a chance to eat in the restaurant, breakfast was not included , but many places nearby. Great night club around the corner, "Adagio" and Italian restaurant Essenza on corner. Would certainly return, prime location, excellent staff and hotel.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank PortiaAnn
Reviewed 31 May 2007

Great stay at the Mandala in Berlin, in the hearth of Potsdamerplatz, just in front of the Sony Center and few steps away from many cultural points and sites of interest.
Brand new hotel with all facilities.
Just take note that some rooms do not have air-con, during hot season better ask for it.
Excellent breakfast in the Facil Restaurant with excellent food and service.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank traveladdictLugano
Reviewed 17 May 2007

After having stayed at Dorint Sofitel and Lux 11, I decided to try another design hotel. I have different feelings about it.

Actually I was expecting room upgrade, because American express website ( I have fa platinum card) offered a promotion in coop with this hotel, and the upgrade was offered when mntioning Amex code/ So the stuff at the reception told me that have heard nothing about such a promotion. Ok. Then I was shown the room.

It was exactly the opposite from what I have expected. It was Executive Suite. But it had no Potsdarm Views which I have requested. And the colour scheme of the room was too frog-like.

So the guy from the reception has brought some of our luggage, and I have inquired about the possibility to change the room, because it was different from my expectations.

The guy was very good-looking as for Berlin. But sometimes I have the feeling that those super good-looking people should earn their money in some other services. He said, " Yes, some people also want to live on the 10th floor, what shall we do then?"

Actually, I see myself no surprise that some people want to live on the 10th floor, because it's demand-supply world, and they have every right (if they pay) to live on the 10th floor if they have requested it and noone said it's not possible beforehand.

I did not want to live on the 10th floor, I wanted to have the room with a view on Potzdarmer Platz.

So after talking to the reservation department, I was offered to change rooms next day. And the next room we had was a dream. It was a corner suite with all the views possible, nice business colour scheme, and I was feeling great there.

So when reserving something at Mandala, do not expect they will take your wishes into account, because some people also "want to live on the 10th floor". Isn't that horrible?

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family