Hotel Luetzow
US$91
US$127
US$108
  • Room Service
All reviewsquiet streetbus stopminute walktowels providedberlin zooa small kitchen areabrandenburg gatequeen sizegreat budget hotelvictory columntegel airportfree wifiwifi worked wellzoological gardensexcellent showerpowerful showerhot water
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Just returned from celebrating New Year in Berlin and we found this hotel to be a good overall option for our stay. The hotel is priced low-mid range and this is reflected in our score of 3 out of 5, taking into account a few little niggles. We found all of the staff we encountered to be pleasant and helpful so no problems in that department. The rooms are a little dated & small but cosy with very comfortable beds & probably the best shower I've experienced at a European hotel. Bear in mind that some rooms are designated for smokers so if this bothers you, request a non smoking room when booking. The hotel provided a complimentary large bottle of water on arrival and 2 small bottles of spakling wine on New Years Eve which we thought was a nice touch. One major issue we found was that, because the hotel is a converted block of flats, there is only 1 small lift which holds no more than 4 people (or 2 people plus luggage) to accommodate all 7 floors, which became a nuisance at busy times. Its location is on a quiet residential street, with not much going on in the immediate vacinity, so if you want to be in the heart of the city I'd recommend choosing elsewhere. There are 2 restaurants, a steakhouse & a Greek place, within a few minutes walk plus a large supermarket just around the corner. Wittenburgplatz U-Bahn station is a 10 min walk away, Zoologischer Garten interchange is a 15 min walk away offering a regular rail connection to Schoenefeld Airport and a bus link to Tegel airport. Kurfürstendamm shopping street and the Tiergarten & Victory monument are 20 mins walk away, so the residential location of the hotel is by no means isolated. Our major gripe was with the breakfast service. It was 11 euros per day and the price was definately not justified. We got down to breakfast at 8.45am (it finishes at 10am) and there were barely any hot items left. We naturally assumed these would be replenished but after 20 mins there was no sign of anymore food coming out. We had to ask for more items to be cooked and even then, they only provided a small amount which wasn't enough to go around. We considered refusing to pay but just settled with not returning for the rest of our stay and grabbed something outside the hotel instead. So don't bother with breakfast & save your euros! I'd recommend the Lutzow but a few improvements are needed for it to get a higher score.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Manc_Ste
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

this is a small hotel, i dont know others but my internet is really bad very slow.
place is okay, quiet and conveniet.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank sayerss
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for two weeks. We had the kitchen package and we felt that we are locals. We bought food from the nearby supermarket, cooked and had enjoyable meals. The hotel is very close to transports. 50 m to bus and 5 minutes walk to Europe center.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank JustinJosh
Reviewed 27 September 2013

First, the hotel itself isn't bad. Quite plain, ok location on a quite street. You are about a 8 minute walk from the closest U Bahn station. My issue with the hotel started after I checked in on a Saturday. As an American tourist I don't use my cell phone in Europe because it's too expensive. So I buy an international calling card to call home. Well the phone in my room didn't work. The apologized and told me that it was the weekend so I would have to wait until Monday to get a working phone. After a long day of site seeing on Monday I expected to come back to the hotel and have a working phone, so I could call my family and tell them about my trip. But NO. It wasn't repaired or replaced as I was told it would be. So I walked down to the front desk and explained the situation, and they were really rude. Asking me why I needed a phone? Couldn't I just use my cell phone? I told them that wasn't the point, that I was paying for a room with a phone, and I was promised a phone. As I was walking to the elevator the three men were joking about me in German, I guess they didn't realize I understood. They made nasty comments about American tourists. In the end I stayed 6 days in the hotel, and never got a working phone. I did however get over charged! They tried to add more than 50 Euros of extra expenses onto my bill! There are a lot of hotels in Berlin, this one is probably not good for the American tourist, the staff obviously don't like Americans.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
11  Thank Logan H
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Hotel Lutzow is located in a quiet area about 1 km from Zoologischer Garten stop (where you can take a bus to Tegel airport), a 3-5 minute walk from Bus 100 and 200 (both routes take you to many of the main stops in Berlin) and about a 5-10 walk from Wittenbergplatz (where you can take U1, U2 and U3). Near Wittenbergplatz there is a supermarket that is open Monday to Saturday from 7 AM to midnight. From Wittenbergplatz you can walk to Kurfurstendamm, one of the main shoping streets.
The staff at the hotel was professional and we were fortunate enough to check-in early as our room was ready, although they also have luggage storage if the room still hasn't been cleaned. In the room you will find a bathroom with a shower, a small kitchen with a microwave and refrigerator, a full size bed (this may be too small for two people of you are use to sleeping in a queen/king size bed), desk and television. We found the bed to be comfortable and the room to be large enough (about 17 square meters), although some people may consider it small (and therefore I suggest not to go to Amsterdam, Paris or London where the rooms are usually even smaller).
The only negatives were that you had to pay 5 Euros a day for cutlery, although you can buy disposable plates/cutlery at the supermarket (we knew about this before we arrived so we brought some with us in our luggage). The TV only had channels in German, which didn't bother us too much as it was quite entertaining. Also, the curtains in our room were a little old (some fabric was falling off in spots) and needed to be replaced.
Overall, I would suggest this hotel for business travelers and couples as it was good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple