“great staff”

Ranked #309 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
buenos aires
“great staff”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

As the other reviewers have said, 'decent' is the word for the price...very economical and close to the city center is not easy to find at the price. The two brothers who run it were extremely helpful and seemed to genuinely enjoy their work. The breakfast was quite adequate, but expect no frills! The wi-fi when I was there was erratic at best.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank chriswenham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
UK
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This is a decent little budget hotel in a quiet area of the city. The area itself was famous as 'red wedding' during the 1930s and the whole place is still quite working class and very friendly with easy access to the city centre. The corner bars around here were especially memorable.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nimitta
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I stayed for five nights at the very grand-sounding Hotel Graf (Count) Puckler in June 2013, paying a total of 165 Euros for a single room, with buffet breakfast included. I felt that this represented pretty good value for money.

The hotel is somewhat dated and shabby in parts, and could frankly do with refurbishment. However, my room was in reasonable condition. It was on the third floor (reached by a lift) and at the back of the hotel, overlooking gardens, with a glimpse of the Fernsehturm (a TV tower - Berlins' tallest structure) in the distance. I slept with the window open most nights, as it was warm outside and there is no air-conditioning in the rooms; not once was I woken by noise from outside. There was a small shower cubicle inside the room, but no toilet (that was outside, just round the corner on the main corridor). There was, however, a wash-hand basin. The room was also equipped with a wardrobe, two small tables, a chair and a bedside table. The lighting was good. There was also a cupboard clearly meant to house a small fridge - but there was none inside! The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of hot water at all times. I noticed that there was a radiator - not that I needed to use it. The standard of cleaning was good.

The television was very old-fashioned but worked adequately, with a few English language channels. The wi-fi Internet connection, however, was not very reliable. On several occasions, the signal was so weak that I had to use my laptop in the lobby, where the signal was strong. On other occasions, however, I was able to use it in my room, though the connection and speed were not great.

I was happy with the buffet breakfast: a reasonable range of standard breakfast items, with fresh fruit also on offer. There is a small garden terrace, which I made use of. As several other reviews have noted, you can make your own take-away sandwiches for only one Euro. No other meals are on offer. There is a bar and small restaurant at the front of the hotel, but it was closed during my visit.

I found the hotel staff, both on reception and in the breakfast room, very pleasant and friendly. They all seem to speak fairly good English.

The hotel is located in the rather non-descript Wedding area of Berlin. There is not a lot to see or do in the area, though it seemed to me to be quite safe, even at night. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants in the vicinity as well as a supermarket (Netto) and several mini-markets. Wedding S-Bahn and U-Bahn station is a five minute walk from the hotel. Even closer is Reinickendorfer U-Bahn station; from there, you can reach central Friedrichstrasse in less than ten minutes. From there, there is a direct railway connection to Schonefeld Airport.

On the whole, I enjoyed my short stay at the Graf Puckler and would probably stay there again. I really do feel, however, that they need to bring the place up to date, as the interiors don't seem to have been renovated in decades. A lick of paint would certainly help, but something more substantial is really required. Something also needs to be done to ensure that the wi-fi Internet connection is more reliable.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Cosmo44
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I stayed at this Hotel late in 2012 and was pleased to have found a place a little bit different from what's usually on offer. The carpet may be a little older but it felt clean. I liked the warm colours on the walls, the comfortable 1970s furniture and the general lay-out. It was very spacious. However, the shower/toilet was tiny, the shower especially felt cramped - not for big people ! The double bed was very comfortable with clean, new linen. My favourite part was the lounge area with the lovely big window overlooking a charming courtyard.

The staff were warm and friendly, not overly officious. Very helpful and relaxed. The dining room is attractively appointed and furnished and the food was very good. Free newspapers in the foyer. If you get there first you can sit by one of the lovely windows.

I had a weekly ticket for public transport, which is fantastic in Berlin. Also enjoyed walking a lot, felt safe the whole time. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Dubai
Reviewed 9 February 2013

When I arrived at this hotel the reception was closed and I checked my mail & yes, there was a password to open the main door. Once I open the door I got the key to my room. The room was little large for the money I paid & was quite comfortable & quiet. The breakfast , though not lavish, was good enough.

The hotel is located a couple of stops away from the Berlin main train station at Reinickendonrfer. There is also a bus that takes you to the main station in around 10 minutes. The TV had one or two english channels only.The staff was very friendly & helpful. I will stay here again.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Coggiola, Italia
Reviewed 3 October 2011

This hotel is located just 5 minuts U-bahn to the very centre. It is basic and simple, I was in a single room with shower and sink and the toilet was shared but clean and not used by many people. Breakfast was perfect and the waitress, as the girls at the reception, was very kind.
The room is cleaned every day.
Good value for money as the location and service are very good.
When I wil go back to Berlin I will choose this hotel again!
Berlin is a wonderful city. I would never expected that it was so amazing. I stayed only 2 days, but walkin and walking and walking I have seen almost all what's to see!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo