“A half-hearted attempt at luxury...”
Review of Almodovar Hotel

Almodovar Hotel
Ranked #137 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
“A half-hearted attempt at luxury...”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

If it's an offer, take it. But paying full price for this hotel seems silly to me.
Everything felt like it was halfway there... The decor is attractive; there's a nice spa at the roof, and a seeming fancy vegetarian restaurant.
But then you look a bit deeper and it gets awkward. The room is bare as it gets. There's not even a tv. The bathroom is very pretty, but the door is a sheet of glass that barely closes, so unless you're a married couple who don't mind listening to each other's "private moments," you're in for an awkward-fest.
The restaurant service at breakfast was one of the worse I've experienced in years of Berlin, and the food is discount supermarket level. I'm not a foodie, and this bothered even me.
Sleeping was also a bad experience. The bed was uncomfortable and noisy, every time my SO moved, I woke up. There was some kind of incredibly loud, low frequency engine sound that went on all night, non stop. And this is a spa?!?
The rooftop spa was actually not bad, the sauna was lovely and all natural light, and the music was pleasant. But again, just BARE. Atmosphere is not a strength of these guys.
Overall, I would say it's a pretty mediocre experience; not awful, just disappointing. It was a nice getaway for me and my fiancée, but by all means don't expect a high end experience. But this place needs A LOT of work before calling itself a relaxing spa.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Nando R
Axel B, Leiter Front Office at Almodovar Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your detailed feedback. At first, we are sorry that your stay was not comfortable. We are surprised about your feedback related to our breakfast. We offer a huge variety of vegan and vegetarian food, and all of our products are from certified organic quality. We are sorry that you did not like it, its unusual, that we get such a bad feedback. We are allways willing to improve our service.
In all of our rooms is a television (and computer) and free wifi too. We wonder if you didn't find the explanations of how it works in your room-folder? Did you asked the reception for help?
We are verry sorry for all the discrepancies during your stay. Nevertheless we hope you enjoyed our lovely Berlin! Best regards, Almodóvar Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Wroclaw, Poland
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We have stayed for five nights. Prices are really nice for the comfort you get. Nice bio/ fair trade hotel with comfy and spacy rooms. It is also very nice neighborhood. Not only the hotel bistro is vegetarian/ vegan friendly but many places around are like that. Stuff is very helpful and extremely nice. For some people the noise of tge trams might be a problem but i have slept very well in here. Highly reccomended for people looking for a nice, friendly atmosphere to stay in while visiting Berlin.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hussaria
Thank you for your great feedback, we are very glad that you ejoyed your stay! We hope to see you again, best regards, your Almodóvar-Team
Mount Vernon, New York
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The Almodovar Hotel, described as a vegetarian hotel, was a tranquil oasis in quirky Freidrichshain. I stayed in the hotel for three nights because I wanted to be near to my friends who were staying near by. The hotel feels like a spa and there is a clean, crisp and natural vibe to the rooms. My single room had a bean bag chair and a yoga mat. I was pleased to have a full sized bed, albeit very low to the ground. There also is a TV that can become a computer and the front desk provides guests with a code for access to free wifi.

The hotel is in a good location,as there is a convenience store across the street, grocery store down the street, trams that pass by and an S-Bahn stop about 7 minutes away by foot.

I never tried the roof-top amenities because it wasn't terribly warm, but I did have the brunch buffet once and it was good. They had a range of options, from the typical (eggs) to uniquely German (green bean salad and vegan currywurst).

I did not have a lot of interactions with the staff, but on my way out Javi at the front desk was very kind and took my picture in the hotel lobby, handled the mailing of my postcards and gave me a discount on a few of their souvenirs that they had on sale.

I didn't see many other hotels in this area, so I would strongly recommend this hotel and I felt it was a good value for what I got.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Pumacess22
Thank you so much for your detailed feedback. We would be very happy to see you again in our hotel! Next time you have to visit our roof top sauna :) Best regards, your Almodóvar-Team
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed at the Almodovar for three nights. Very tasty organic breakfast, lovely atmosphere in the restaurant. Room (=studio with sitting area) was excellent, staff was very friendly. (There was a problem with the door to our room and we got transferred to another room straight away.)

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are very quiet. Rooms facing the street are noisier but have a better vie...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Spent one night here as we were only in town for a concert at the O2 Arena. This hotel was well suited for what we needed. It was close to the event, it was very clean, the staff was friendly, and we were able to park our car in the hotel parking garage for 8 euro. The car park was very nice and very secure which was a big advantage although it may not fit all size vehicles.

The only downside I would note is that the hotel is located right next to a tram stop and while that is convenient, it is also pretty noisy with trams running 10 minutes during the day and every 20 later in the evening and at night. We had one of the apartment rooms on the 3rd floor and our room faced toward the tram stop. If you are a light sleeper I'd recommend bringing a white noise generator or maybe some ear plugs.

Otherwise, it was great for our needs. We would stay here again if we were to make it back to Berlin for a longer period of time.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back (higher number rooms, ie 310, 311, etc) may be quieter as they are away from t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank J P
Paris, France
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The decoration is nice. The staff is friendly.
It is very well located; many bars and reataurants around + the market on sunday.
And the roof top sauna is great.
Veggie breakfast is a good experience, but the third morning we were happy to have a regular one in another place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Stavanger
Reviewed 17 December 2013

This was a lovely hotel to stay in. We travelled with some friends who were not vegetarian and they loved it as well. The beds were very comfortable but the pillows were too big! The rooms clean and uncluttered. The food was excellent as was the service however a cautionary word. Don't trust the labelling on the breakfast food, the egg was labelled vegan egg and the vegan egg as real egg. Also the staff had some problem with language and was assured that the 'cheese' platter was vegan, it wasn't. It is a new hotel and I think these problems will be ironed out. The evening menu was quite extensive mostly vegan and a high standard. We liked the area it was in as off the beaten track with very interesting streets to explore. We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple