“Very good hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #153 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
Helsinki, Finland
“Very good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had a nice five night stay in Almodovar Hotel. Rooms are comfortable and nice. The air conditioning in the room was great as it was very hot outside during our stay. Free WIFI also worked perfectly.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in complete silence, make sure to book room from the courtyard side of the hote...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lauri W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My spouse and I visited Berlin for a long weekend and have just returned. We're in love with this new hotel! Beautiful rooms, tasteful and clean, with free wifi and a/c, very friendly staff, great windows which keep out most of the noise from the buzzing neighborhood where it's located (Friedrichshain), two tram lines stop right in front of the door, and great restaurants (including vegan ones) are in walking distance. Almodòvar Hotel is also the only hotel I know in Berlin which is completely meat-free and organic. The adjacent bistro also has ample options for vegans: their artisan vegan cheeses were lovely, as were the tofu scramble, the yummy homemade spreads, and the no-egg salad. I can really recommend a stay at this hotel for vegans and non-vegans alike. Definitely worth it!

Room Tip: If you appreciate the morning sun, get a room that looks out on Holteistrasse. We had an apartment o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Although I realised only by the time I crossed the threshold that I had booked a wellness-hotel, it immediately had a very calming effect on me… ;-) The receptionists were nice and the restaurant really pleasant after I had recovered from the vegetarian/vegan shock. Thank God for bio beer and wine. Lovely food, great design and really lovely staff. Great design in the entire hotel - minimalist. An atmosphere of calm and wellness as well. The room was well-decorated, with a lovely sculpture and was nice to be in. Browns and beiges plus long white curtains. The bean bag and the yoga mat were nice touches. The bathroom had all amenities needed and was a pleasure to be in. Had to do a lot of work and there was ample space for it - although the chair was quite heavy to move. A great array of plug sockets and a large TV. Free WiFi, as it should be. Unfortunately I had no time for breakfast or the wellness floors (up top). But even without that I felt quite well. Good price/quality ratio in an area which has few hotels. Lots of restaurants in the neighbourhood. The hotel is easy to get to from the airport with the Tegel-airportbus, the S-Bahn and a tram. Takes about 45 mins.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TaxiFaber
Axel B, Leiter Front Office at Almodovar Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you so much for your nice evaluation! It was a peasure for us hosting you as our guest. We hope you will visit us again!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

If it's an offer, take it. But paying full price for this hotel seems silly to me.
Everything felt like it was halfway there... The decor is attractive; there's a nice spa at the roof, and a seeming fancy vegetarian restaurant.
But then you look a bit deeper and it gets awkward. The room is bare as it gets. There's not even a tv. The bathroom is very pretty, but the door is a sheet of glass that barely closes, so unless you're a married couple who don't mind listening to each other's "private moments," you're in for an awkward-fest.
The restaurant service at breakfast was one of the worse I've experienced in years of Berlin, and the food is discount supermarket level. I'm not a foodie, and this bothered even me.
Sleeping was also a bad experience. The bed was uncomfortable and noisy, every time my SO moved, I woke up. There was some kind of incredibly loud, low frequency engine sound that went on all night, non stop. And this is a spa?!?
The rooftop spa was actually not bad, the sauna was lovely and all natural light, and the music was pleasant. But again, just BARE. Atmosphere is not a strength of these guys.
Overall, I would say it's a pretty mediocre experience; not awful, just disappointing. It was a nice getaway for me and my fiancée, but by all means don't expect a high end experience. But this place needs A LOT of work before calling itself a relaxing spa.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Nando R
Axel B, Leiter Front Office at Almodovar Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your detailed feedback. At first, we are sorry that your stay was not comfortable. We are surprised about your feedback related to our breakfast. We offer a huge variety of vegan and vegetarian food, and all of our products are from certified organic quality. We are sorry that you did not like it, its unusual, that we get such a bad feedback. We are allways willing to improve our service.
In all of our rooms is a television (and computer) and free wifi too. We wonder if you didn't find the explanations of how it works in your room-folder? Did you asked the reception for help?
We are verry sorry for all the discrepancies during your stay. Nevertheless we hope you enjoyed our lovely Berlin! Best regards, Almodóvar Hotel
Wroclaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We have stayed for five nights. Prices are really nice for the comfort you get. Nice bio/ fair trade hotel with comfy and spacy rooms. It is also very nice neighborhood. Not only the hotel bistro is vegetarian/ vegan friendly but many places around are like that. Stuff is very helpful and extremely nice. For some people the noise of tge trams might be a problem but i have slept very well in here. Highly reccomended for people looking for a nice, friendly atmosphere to stay in while visiting Berlin.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hussaria
Thank you for your great feedback, we are very glad that you ejoyed your stay! We hope to see you again, best regards, your Almodóvar-Team
Mount Vernon, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

The Almodovar Hotel, described as a vegetarian hotel, was a tranquil oasis in quirky Freidrichshain. I stayed in the hotel for three nights because I wanted to be near to my friends who were staying near by. The hotel feels like a spa and there is a clean, crisp and natural vibe to the rooms. My single room had a bean bag chair and a yoga mat. I was pleased to have a full sized bed, albeit very low to the ground. There also is a TV that can become a computer and the front desk provides guests with a code for access to free wifi.

The hotel is in a good location,as there is a convenience store across the street, grocery store down the street, trams that pass by and an S-Bahn stop about 7 minutes away by foot.

I never tried the roof-top amenities because it wasn't terribly warm, but I did have the brunch buffet once and it was good. They had a range of options, from the typical (eggs) to uniquely German (green bean salad and vegan currywurst).

I did not have a lot of interactions with the staff, but on my way out Javi at the front desk was very kind and took my picture in the hotel lobby, handled the mailing of my postcards and gave me a discount on a few of their souvenirs that they had on sale.

I didn't see many other hotels in this area, so I would strongly recommend this hotel and I felt it was a good value for what I got.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Pumacess22
Thank you so much for your detailed feedback. We would be very happy to see you again in our hotel! Next time you have to visit our roof top sauna :) Best regards, your Almodóvar-Team
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed at the Almodovar for three nights. Very tasty organic breakfast, lovely atmosphere in the restaurant. Room (=studio with sitting area) was excellent, staff was very friendly. (There was a problem with the door to our room and we got transferred to another room straight away.)

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are very quiet. Rooms facing the street are noisier but have a better vie...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple