“Good location, overall not bad”
Review of Check In Hostel

Check In Hostel
Ranked #142 of 349 Speciality Lodging in Berlin
British
“Good location, overall not bad”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed here with a friend while spending 3 weeks interrailing around Europe in July 2013 and really liked this hostel.

We booked here because It was cheap and I was a little nervous because of that plus it doesn't help that i'm quite a clean freak, anywhere that's slightly dirty or grotty and I'm out. However, I was surprised.

Great location firstly, right near checkpoint Charlie although we found it a little hard to find as the building and signing was misleading and hidden but that could be down to us travelling all day from Amsterdam so our brains probably weren't functioning very well.

We were greeted by a really friendly brunette girl behind the reception desk who was the only member of staff I encountered while staying there. She was really helpful and gave us loads of information and hallelujah free WiFi that actually worked!!

The stairs and the building it's self was pretty depressing and not that appealing or nice to look at but not much of a big deal as the rooms were great. Really clean and big which was a relief as some of the hostels I stayed in elsewhere were so small for mixed dorms, I felt suffocated. The room also had lockers which is good to know when travelling alone/in small groups and staying with randomers and they were big enough to fit our big backpacks in! however, remember to bring your own padlock!!! There's also a Lidl supermarket right round the back which is good to know if you're travelling and on a budget such as me and my friend... this meant more money for beer :)

This hostel also had a great social side to it, I met lots of people here and it seemed to attract a young crowd with a sort of common room to meet new people, good if you're travelling alone and want to meet some friends. The showers were also acceptable, nothing special but clean and they all worked fine.

I can't stress how much I love Berlin, great city with great people and I'm planning to head back in the new year. If all goes to plan I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank littlemonster92

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 18 November 2013

super helpful staff, perfect location near checkpoint charlie, big and tidy rooms (even the 10 bed one we stayed in), clean and decent-sized bathrooms... really good service for the price! i'd avoid the diner next door (d!ner67), though; food there can be really blend.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Wales
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I was very nervous when chosing to stay at this hostel as it was so cheap, and the fact many of the reviews here weren't very good. However, having stayed at 2 other hostels in Berlin, I found this one was best value for money (thats a reflection on the others charging at least double and being of a similar standard). Also refelecting on the reviews, most of them are based on the pot luck of who you end up sharing with e.g my first night I slept well, my second night there was a snoorer in the room. The hostel was in a good location, the beds were clean and if you used the showers in the morning they were fine too. I came to Berlin to see Berlin and hence a clean warm place to sleep and shower is all I wanted from a hostel and this is what I got. The staff were fine, some obviously nicer than others, but that was true of the other 2 places I stayed too. I liked the fact that you didnt have to keep reconnecting to the wifi as I had to in the other hostels.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This one had a very convenient location close to the interesting parts of town and highly agreeable staff that would help you willingly even if they are pulling long shift and their eyes are hardly open ;-)... I can recommend it, especially when you are on the budget :).

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I never bother to write good reviews or bad reviews but in this case i had to share my terrible experience, i failed to come to the hostel one night and was unable to get back before 12 (my check out time) i got back around 3-4 with a bill on my bed 21 euros, so i go to pay and i try to extend and move to a cheaper room. I get an angry german shouting at me calling me a joke because i didn't come back to the hostel all night or in the morning and that i missed my check out time. I explain that i was staying somewhere else and was unable to get back in time and would like to just pay. He kicks me out and i assume bans me saying "'your not welcome here" as i walk out. Overall terrible showers that don't really work, expensive prices for a soft bed a damp small kitchen and a barely passible lounge area. The staff just seemed dis-interested and bored, go anywhere but here.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank George C

Travellers are raving about these Berlin hotels

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Our stay here was pleasant because we met a lot of people in the rooms who really enhanced our trip.
The facilities were fine and the staff were okay.
The location was fine as well.
I would recommend heading straight to the LIDL behind the hostel if you're on a budget.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Paying 10 euros a night I was expecting the absolute worst and the showers were pretty awful however once I discovered the common room and kitchen facilities downstairs I realised this hostel was such good value for money, so cheap that it hardly mattered what else happened. I met some great people and the beers at the reception were so cheap that it was worth staying there all night hanging out in the hostel. Great location for sight seeing not so much for nightlife. Would gladly stay there again. One of the best hostels I have stayed at regardless of price.

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo