“Nice stay in a stylish hotel but not without flaws.”

Movenpick Hotel Berlin
Ranked #35 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 May 2009

My wife and I stayed at this very modern hotel for three nights to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We arrived on 29th April and left on May 2nd 2008. We were offered a discounted upgrade on arrival and swapped the Superior room for one of the junior suites in the old loft on the fifth floor.

Near an historically important local train station, Anhalter Bahnhof, the hotel is in a quieter area away from the busy central spots. We were able to walk to Potsdamer Platz in around 10-15 minutes, although it is only one stop away on the S-Bahn (getting on at Anhalter Bahnhof a few steps from the hotel).

The hotel itself is very stylish, located in the old Siemens headquarters, and has been very thoughtfully designed with a tip of the hat here and there towards the old and continuing activities of the company which once owned the building. In the bar some of the tables were supported by glass insulator stacks, such as those that you see hanging from pylons. In the room the shower room door was like that which you'd find in a factory, sliding across on a rail. There was a lot of funky lighting and use of different materials to theme the look of the place.

We found the staff at the front desk very pleasant, informative and efficient: just as you'd except from German staff working for a Swiss hotel chain. However, we did think it was a bit off when tried to go to bed and had to wait quite a while following our request a pillow containing man-made stuffing, as all the bedding contained feathers, which my wife is allergic to. We phoned the front desk at around 11.30pm and were told that it would take an hour and a half to get the pillow sent up. This was because there was only one staff member at the desk and they were not allowed to leave until another member of staff turned up at 1am. I wasn't able to collect it myself as the person at the desk would still have to leave to go to the store room.

Our only other real criticisms were as reflected in one or two other reviews here. The hotel seems a little too eager to (over)charge for everything. Breakfast was to be a whopping 21 Euros each... It would have to be some breakfast for us to have paid that! A cheaper alternative is the Stresemann Cafe on the corner, near the S-Bahn station.

The minibar in the room was also fairly expensive, as they tend to be in most hotels, and the main bar near the lobby and entrance was way overpriced at over 4.50 Euros for a 0.5l glass of beer. The inflated prices and persistent charging for everything actually put us off having a meal in the hotel's modern restaurant and we went elsewhere.

We loved Berlin itself. The people were friendly, the service generally very good, there was a lot to see and a year ago would have been good value for a capital city (we got stung with the poor Pound versus Euro rate which made it an expensive visit!)

Berlin isn't the prettiest of cities but there's never a shortage of things to do or places to eat and drink. There's bags of history, especially recent world history, and the people are very welcoming and keen to show what modern Germany is about. We were there during a public holiday and the avenue leading away from Brandenberg gate was heaving with people having a street party. They were mostly eating currywurst hotdogs and drinking beer to the sound of a live band. The atmosphere was lively and we joined in with the Berliners as if we belonged there!

Highlights for us included seeing the remaining parts of the Berlin Wall and visiting the Jewish museum and Olympic stadium. The round trip bus tours are better value than some cities as there is a lot to see and takes around two hours to do the full tour. The public transport is excellent and a day pass covering both the U-Bahn and S-Bahn are great value for money.

Get in early for the Reichstag. We queued for an hour to get in but the queue hardly moved and it was a hot day. They only seem to let a relatively small group in every half an hour. We gave up and sadly missed out on one of the main attractions. There were plenty of other places to go.

We found the Sony Centre at Postdamer Platz to have a good atmoshere and ate at a couple of restaurants there. The Josty restaurant was recommended by our guidebook but we weren't impressed. We had to move to be served, the menu wasn't very logical and I paid 14 Euros for a pizza which tasted as though it was straight from a Findus or McCain factory. The waiter also stood waiting for a tip. We enjoyed the Lutter & Wegner restaurant just outside, near the shopping arcade and casino. It cost around 80 Euros for a starter, main and coffee each plus a bottle of wine.

All in all a really good trip. I would happily agree that the Moevenpick Hotel was a good place to stay, but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it as somewhere vastly superior to anywhere else. That's not to say that we didn't enjoy our stay there on the whole and it was clean and very stylish in a modern way; just one or two minor irritations. Berlin is well worth visiting if you like history, museums, food, theatre, quality shopping and big city buzz. We'd go again!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mightycod
There are newer reviews for Movenpick Hotel Berlin

Reviewed 26 March 2009

After spending hours reading through reviews and about various hotels in Berlin, I selected this hotel based on positive reviews and its location. My fiance and I were celebrating our 8 year anniversary while at the hotel, so I was willing to splurge some to have a nice room and great location. The location did not disappoint, as it is very centrally located to most of the museums and historical sites. However, my fiance and I enjoy walking and put in atleast 10 miles a day anyways, so we would have been almost as happy with any location within 15 blocks of this hotel to save on cost, as the location was not enough to warrant the price. We spent $175 a night for the basic room, and I was quite surprised with how small and cramped the room was. We had requested the highest possible floor (for a quiet room) and a view of the river, and they did grant these requests which was nice. However, the front desk staff was not particularly friendly or welcoming. We expected them to be after reading some other reviews, and at first we thought it might have been a cultural difference, but other people in Berlin at restaurants and museums were much friendlier.

Everything was very clean, but the first morning the shower rod, which was apparently loose, fell on my fiance's head during his shower.

We borrowed a power adaptor to charge our camera batteries from the hotel. After bringing it to our room, we discovered it didn't work, so we immediately brought it back to the front desk. They didn't have another one to lend us, which wasn't a big deal, but they accused my fiance of breaking it and asked him what he had done to it.

The worst part of our experience involved laundry service. I clearly filled out the laundry form requesting that a jacket be dry cleaned and a pair of jeans be washed. As we were at a fairly expensive hotel compared to the general hotel costs in Berlin and a hotel which had a lot of amenities, I never dreamed that this service would be so lacking, so I didn't check the laundry for 1 day after receiving it back until I went to put the jeans on. They had not been washed as instructed, but dry cleaned, and they still smelled of airplane. When I told the front desk, they refused to do anything saying that we hadn't told them within 1 hour of receiving the laundry back. As we spent $600 here, I was not overly concerned about $10, but it is more about principle and how the hotel treated us. We have traveled through more than 25 countries and stayed at atleast 100 different hotels and I have never been treated like this. Before this incident, I felt that the value for what we were spending was not there, but after this incident, I am sure I will never choose this hotel or any hotel in this chain again.

If you do stay at this hotel, I would definitely opt out of the breakfast and would not eat in the hotel at all. The food in the hotel is very expensive considering that food in Berlin is generally very cheap as far as big cities go. We had the breakfast 1 morning, and even at the 2 breakfasts for the cost of 1 rate, which you get with the special membership card you can sign up for for free on their website, I felt that this breakfast was majorly overpriced. At $15 per person, I would have expected a very large spread with a lot of hot breakfast choices, particularly regarding egg dishes. They would only fry eggs and there was very limited hot food. I could have easily bought a few pastries, of which they had a lot of, and a glass of juice for $5 per person elsewhere. The breakfast staff was much friendlier than the front desk staff. Regarding food in Berlin, it is easy to find great deals and high quality. I really recommend the Hasir Turkish Restaurant as well as the many kebab and falafel restaurants sprinkled through the city. They are a great value.

Overall, I just don't think the value you get from this facility warranted the cost I paid. I especially expected better service from the staff. I would not choose this hotel again, mainly based on principle and value.

Reviewed 21 March 2009

We picked this hotel based on price, location and the fact that it looked so stylish. While not cheap we were satisfied that our large, clean and comfortable room was value for money. There was plenty of storage space, a nicely appointed bathroom (though showing a few signs of wear), and a desk and chair as well as the bed. We asked for a double but were told there ARE no doubles which, if true, makes their literature misleading as we could see a photo of one! However, there was a choice of pillow (feather or synthetic).

There are a few penny-pinching things that took the edge off the hotel for me: no tea/coffee making facility in the room. Expensive breakfast (Euro19 per person) making you likely to eat elsewhere (try Café Stresemann), and the fact that to get anything other than local tv, CNN or CNBC you are expected to pay an additional Euro5 per day. All in all I was surprised it was free to use the safe!

Whilst the reception staff were generally helpful, having read other people’s reviews I feel they could be more forthcoming in advising guests about the in-hotel sauna or the fact that (apparently) a cheaper breakfast option is available. Worth knowing too that you can purchase travel tickets from reception.

The hotel in March seems to make most of its money from business conferences – meaning the entrance and courtyard were often thronged with people in suits desperately getting their nicotine fix!

The restaurant was never full and when we did eat there I was distinctly underwhelmed. The waiter was polite and friendly but managed to mis-order our food which, while good, was chosen from a menu that showed all the hallmarks of a chef trying too hard and adding unnecessary additional ingredients. Thinking that we couldn’t go wrong with ice cream in a Moevenpick was also disproved by the chef making an iced coffee seemingly out of the dregs of the cafetiere and the washing up bowl! It was disappointingly tasteless and warm, effectively ruining the ice cream that was drowning on the top of it. It’s never nice to complain in a restaurant but at the very least you expect a gracious response – the waiter was apologetic, offering to rescind the charge, the less charming maitre over-ruled him! Unfortunately this is the type of incident that mars an evening and we didn’t eat there again.

Location-wise the hotel is in a quiet area, right next to Anhalter S-Bahn but a bit of a dark walk at night to the nearest U-Bahn. We enjoyed our stay but not so much that I’d stay there on my next trip to Berlin.

2  Thank Sian W
Reviewed 8 March 2009

The Moevenpick is well located just across the road from an S-Bahn station and within walking distance to the Potsdamer Platz and Checkpoint Charlie etc. We stayed in the junior suite which was spacious and quiet. Everything is well-designed and funcitional - in the true spirit of Bauhaus. However, what made this hotel stand out is the quality of the service. All the staff were extremely polite, pleasant and very helpful. We asked for extra pillows one evening and these were brought to our room within minutes. They also kept us informed of our late arriving bag and brought it to our room as soon it arrived. The breakfast is very good, although a bit expensive now at 21euros, especially with the devalued Sterling but it was good quality food and plenty of it. So all in all, it was a positively satisfying experience!

1  Thank GiantPanda28
Reviewed 27 February 2009

My wife and I stayed in the Movenpick for 3 nights and really enjoyed the stay. We had a junior suite which was a huge room and it is a very stylish hotel. Only thing I would suggest is that the TV should really be a larger LCD type considering the size of the room.

Excellent location 100m from the nearest SBahn station (Anhalter) and there is some nice cafe / restaurants nearby Cafe Strassman and an Italian restaurant on the corner across from Cafe Strassman that was one of the best Italian food we had (outside of Italy) and excellent value -not even 40 euro for 3 courses each, tea and 2 Erdinger.

The staff was excellent and very polite and the bar in the hotel called the Anhalter bar was very nice with great design. Nice touch as well is the free water, fruit and chocolate provided from free daily in your room.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2009

Would definitely recommend this hotel - very friendly and helpful staff, a lovely stylish bedroom and fantastic breakfasts. The hotel's in a great location for sightseeing, and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank laurence_c
Reviewed 6 January 2009

went for new year package. Beautiful new years buffet (truly fabulous food) we then were taken to the top of a shopping centre (rooftop) for new year champagne and fireworks

Excellent staff, beautifully designed room with roll top bath in middle of room. Minimalist loft type feel with Japanes style bed (gave me back ache) Hotel all in fab taste and a nice trendy bar(although expensive)

Really Superb breakfasts too and very handy for the S Bahn.(2 minutes)

down sides -lack of coffee making facilities in room (this is common in Germany) and I also would have liked a nicer reception/lounge area for occasionally escaping family for 10 minutes. Wasnt really anywhere cosy to sit . Also a bit of a lack of space for clothes.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family