“Great location, lovely staff”
Review of ARCOTEL Velvet

ARCOTEL Velvet
Ranked #179 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed here for a weekend with a friend, Really loved the location, the staff was friendly and extremely friendly and helpful. We had a comfortable superior room that unfortunately overlooked the back of the hotel, which was quite depressing as it was basically an empty lot. We probably should have said something, but as we were barely in the room it wasn't an issue. We also asked for a room with two beds, so that may have limited room options. The bathroom was big but only had a shower head and a drain in the middle of the bathroom - no tub, no shower curtain, which made a huge mess and was nerve wracking while showering and hoping that the water didn't reach the door. Nonetheless, a great place to stay and I would definitely go back, making sure to request a street facing room and a bathtub.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing street with bathtub.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
VelvetBerlin, Leiter Gästebetreuung at ARCOTEL Velvet, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying at the ARCOTEL Velvet Berlin and your positive review about us.
That you liked our friendly staff is really nice.
The rooms to the courtyard have the advantage that these rooms are quieter as to the front side and have a typical charm of Berlin courtyard style.
You are right that we have same rooms with a large bathroom without a shower curtain.
But we will give your inspiration to our management to create a better solution about the shower situation.
Please send us an email with your wishes for your next booking in our hotel and
We will happy to welcome you again.
Kind regards

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I wouldn't stay here again. The location was OK, but the street was very noisy at night. The rooms were warm as the AC was turned off (it was in September) but the window hardly opened making it very stuffy and warm in the room. There is not a restaurant in the hotel either, next time I'd like to stay in a different area of Berlin and a hotel with a restaurant.

My main complaint is that free wifi was advertised, but when we arrived we were told it was not available. We were there on business and picked the hotel based on wifi.

Also, there was another incident where they gave us the hotel address to give to our cab driver our first night there to get back to the hotel. The hotel gave us the wrong address and our cab took us to the wrong hotel. It cost us nearly double in cab fares.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Many thanks that you choose our ARCOTEL Velvet Berlin for your business trip to Berlin.
We are not happy about it that you dissatisfied your stay in our hotel and we would like to apologize your incident about the double taxi transfer to our hotel.
In this case we would be pleased, that you tell us this incident at our front office and give us the bill of this transfer to refund it.
Our hotel is located in a central area in Berlin, and we also could offer rooms to the courtyard in our hotel, these rooms are quieter as the rooms to the front side of your house.
We send your information about your inconveniences about the AC and the temperature in your room
to our technical staff to check our system for any problems.
At the moment we working for a free wifi service in our hotel, and for this time we cooperate with a cost wifi signal for our guests. We hope that we could offer this in the near future.
But we wish you all the best for your future and sending you
Kind regards from Berlin

Reviewed 14 September 2013

I stayed here with my bofriend, we were in Berlin for 4 days. The hotel was great, clean and modern. The staff were very helpful but I was disapointed they dont have free wifi anymore and was not notified of this before my visit. They do have 2 free computers in the bar but they are very slow! The location is amazing, great transport links, cafes, bars and restaurants. Directly across the road there is an amazing Singapore restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KristinaBal
VelvetBerlin, Guest Relations Manager at ARCOTEL Velvet, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Dear guest,

Many thanks for staying at the ARCOTEL Velvet Berlin and your positive review about our hotel.
It is our pleasure to give our guests a pleased stay in Berlin with our friendly helpful service and
to bring them a pleasant feeling in our hotel rooms with our special design by Harald Schreiber.
We were able to read a long time many negative guests-feedbacks about the uncomfortable internet situation with no Wifi on our hotel rooms. A short time ago we changed the whole system in our hotel to get Wifi on the hotel rooms and also in the lobby.
We will give your suggestions about the payment of the internet service to our management to find good solution for our guests.
For the future we wish you all the best and hope to see us again in Berlin.
Best Regards
ARCOTEL Velvet Berlin

Reviewed 10 September 2013

This was my first time in Berlin and I got, not only the location, but the hotel right on the spot! This small boutique hotel was perfectly located in the Berlin-Mitte area, on a street full of great restaurants, cafes and bars, walking distance to some fantastic sights, and in front of a tram stop and walking distance to both the S and U metro stations.

My family arrived via Tegel (TXL) airport and we got a cab ride to the hotel. It was about 20 min. drive (with traffic) and around 20 euros (we were a group of 5) so not bad at all.

The hotel is very nice. The check in was smooth and the receptionist was very helpful. The room size was ok (considering that rooms in European hotels tend to be small) and everything was clean. There was no noise at night (even though we were facing a very busy street).

It has a lobby bar, that we didn't use but looked lovely and a couple of pc's with free internet access. It also has free wifi in the lobby.

The main train station (which is a sight to see and experience) is just a couple of metro stations away (which was extremely convenient since we were going to Zurich by train afterwards).

All in all, this is a hotel I would definitely recommend and return whenever I come back to this incredible city.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Alberto G
VelvetBerlin, Guest Relations Manager at ARCOTEL Velvet, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Dear Alberto,
Many thanks for staying at the ARCOTEL Velvet Berlin and your good recommend about us.
We are honored that you liked our hotel so much and that you could enjoyed your first stay in Berlin.
It will makes us happy about your experiences with our hotel area, the hotel design and
Our friendly service and this lift our motivation to hold on our service aims.
We wish you for the future all the best and we excited of your coming reservation for your next visit.
Best regards

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Came to Berlin for a business trip and needed to switch flights at the last minute and find somewhere to stay for an extra night. After reading the reviews here, I picked this place, and am glad I did. I knew the area quite well from previous trips, so I knew what to expect location wise. Inside, the rooms are just lovely. Since I had only booked a few hours before arriving, the reception couldn't initially find my booking. However, they dealt with it very professionally and sorted it out without any fuss, and even upgraded my room to a suite. It was at that point that I really wished I was here on a holiday with my partner and not a boring business trip on my own!

I would definitely come back again some time - the service was excellent and I got a great night's sleep since the rooms are pretty much sound-proofed. Internet was fast and free, and the photo's on the web-site don't do the rooms justice. By far the nicest hotel I've stayed at in Germany, and since I got an upgrade, it was very good value. Security is also very good - only guests can access the lift with their key-cards, so no worries about opportunists wandering the corridors at night.

Room Tip: I was in a junior suite on the 4th or 5th floor, with floor to ceiling windows looking out over the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
VelvetBerlin, Guest Relations Manager at ARCOTEL Velvet, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Dear kern uak,
Thank you for your last minute stay in our ARCOTEL Velvet Berlin and we happy with your positive
Re-commend and the compliments about our hotel.
It is well to read that our guests liked the design of the rooms with the special windows to
the front site and you prefer our central location.
We will send your feedback about the professional service at the front desk to our team to read what a great job they do.
We hope to see you again to your private trip in Berlin and we wish you all the best.
ARCOTEL Velvet Team

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I love this hotel because of both its location and its wonderful rooms facing the Oranienburgerstrasse. Imagine a room with one wall all made of glass, and the surrealistic view in the morning when sun rises above the roofs, and on winter nights when it snows. It's been a place for our romantic weekends for three years now and my love to it is as good as new.
As somebody here had mentioned, they don't serve literally a breakfast in the hotel, but there's a nice coffeehouse next door (go out and turn left) called Espresso Ambulanz, where they have all sorts of coffee, bagels, milchreis etc.
Make sure to pick up a red apple and a free wi-fi router (if you have a lot of i-devices) from the reception, and enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Choose the room on top floors to really enjoy the street view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear AngieKen,
We are proud that you choose the ARCOTEL Velvet Berlin for your romantic stay in Berlin and your spended time to write your very good review.
It is great that you liked your room design with the good experience with the panorama windows in the wintertime.
We wish you for your future all the best and we hope to see us again.
ARCOTEL Velvet Team

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I only have one compliant about this great little hotel – no coffee and tea making facilities. It’s getting more and more common with hotels not to provide this small facility which for me is more important to a traveller/tourist than a TV or mini bar.

Anyway, apart from the lack of coffee the hotel is excellent; there are big clean rooms with wonderful panoramic views of the Oranienburger Strasse with its many bars and restaurants and two U-bahn stops.

Check-in and check-out was both friendly and helpful on and would definitely stop here again

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mackyUK
VelvetBerlin, Leiter Gästebetreuung at ARCOTEL Velvet, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for staying at the ARCOTEL Velvet Berlin.
We like to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
Thank you too for your taken time to give us a feedback on Tripadvisor.
We are sorry that you did not have any coffe and tea facilities at the room.
Just for Information we offer on request a tea and coffee set. Please ask the next time at the reception.

We would aprreciate to welcome you again at the hotel and we wish you for your future all the best.

Best regards