“Not As Terrific as the Reviews”
Review of ARCOTEL Velvet

ARCOTEL Velvet
Ranked #161 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 9 May 2006

We expected more after reading the TripAdvisor reviews. The place wasn't terrible. Quite clean and the neighborhood is fun and funky although the street is filled with prostitutes after dark.....and not long after dark either! The beds were very hard and the pillows a bit meager. Our room faced the back and was somewhat dark and gloomy. The hotel did nickel and dime us. If we wanted to use our phone card, connection was 2 euros. Hooking up our laptop in our room was likewise very pricey (although the lobby did have two free computers). Our welcome was also a bit strange. One member of our foursome (two married couples) prefers stairs to elevators believing that a little exercise is actually good for the body and soul. The somewhat arrogant reception clerk told us that there are no stairs, only an emergency fire escape. This turned out to be entirely untrue and I still cannot understand why she would stubbornly deny the existence of something that was actually there and well lit and quite accessible. All in all I would have to rate the Arcotel as fair and not nearly the bargain or luxury of the nearby Radisson which cost us for our last night in Berlin only 99 euros with free internet on our laptop and free 0800 calls as well as a free continental breakfast whereas at the Arcotel breakfast was 11 euros or eat out!

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank rojersey
There are newer reviews for ARCOTEL Velvet

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 May 2006

Not really any need to write this as everyone seems to have said the same, but we had a really good stay here!

Rooms were great with the huge windows and big walk in shower etc (nice not to have just a little shower over the bath)

The location is brilliant, lots of bars and restaurants literally across the road and within a few minutes walk (would particularly recommend Monseiur Voung, a Vietnamese place on Alte Schonauser about 10 mins walk away that was also really reasonable as well as great food)

We didn't have any problem at all with noise despite being straight opposite the bars and only on the 2nd floor.

Can't wait to go back sometime

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
St Margarets, London
Reviewed 2 May 2006

Although I am bound to be biased, as it was my first ever upgrade (only as they mucked up the booking mind), I have to say this was a fantastic hotel. We didn't go for a breakfast option (breakfast is too good elsewhere in Berlin), so I can't comment on the food, but the rooms were lovely and spacious and extemely well appointed. (Our upgraded suite had two dvd players).

The location is really good, at the end of Oranienburger Strasse and serviced by two tube stops and various trams and right in the centre of the "arty" action. There are pavement cafes and people milling around late into the evening, and it is a walkable distance from town should you not have walked enough around the extraordinary sights of Berlin.

No gym, but nice bar and relaxed chic cool atmosphere. Reasonable staff as well, they only charged for one room for the two room upgrade to the suite. Ahhh Berlin...

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 April 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed here recently for 5 nights and were very impressed. We chose the hotel on the strength of the other reviews and were not disappointed. The hotel itself is very stylish and comfortable and looks great from both outside and inside and has more identity than many up-market hotels.

Our room (a standard double on the second floor facing the street) was spacious, bright and nicely designed, I particularly liked the unusual bathroom layout, separated from the rest of the room by curtains, which, as another reviewer pointed out, means that you can watch the TV whilst in the bath! The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was great, lots of choice (we particularly enjoyed the pastries!) and the cocktails in the bar were delicious.

The location is another plus, the U-Bahn is nearby and there lots of great restaurants and bars on your doorstep. (I would particularly recommend a Turkish restaurant called Hasir, which is down the road near the Hakesche Hoefe).

We had a very enjoyable stay at this hotel and would definitely stay here again. Thoroughly recommended.

4  Thank ecookie81
Reviewed 21 April 2006

While the hotel was okay with big rooms, the housekeeping staff was dishonest.
First. The day we checked out, I accidentally left a magazine in my room , when I came back for it that same day, my magazine was gone. According to the receptionist, the housekeeping had not reported that any items were left in the room. I am certain that my magazine was left in my room which leads me to the conclusion that it was taken by someone from the hotel. While it may be just a magazine, the fact that it was taken reflects badly on the character of the staff.
Second. We borrowed a CD from the reception and left it in our room. When we came back in the evening, it was gone. We do not understand why the staff took it away from the room without telling us. Worse, the hotel was going to charge us for the CD if we hadn't told them that someone had taken it from the room without our knowledge.
I would not recommend this hotel on the basis of the above incidents. Moreover, this hotel is not really centrally located.

3  Thank PinkprincessParis
Reviewed 20 April 2006

I looked at the reviews when I was planning my trip (6 months ahead) and booked so was lucky to get the 7th floor suites - with huge windows on either side - over Easter. (I note that the reviews are still as complimentary). For the price these rooms are superb - you would probably pay 3 or 4 times the price in New York for a similar penthouse feel. This set the tone off superbly as this is the happening and very cosmopolitan part of the City. Having not had too many expectations of Berlin it was a great break and prices in general are surprisingly reasonable considering it is a European Capital. The hotel is surrounded by bars and restaurants of every nationality and interestingly a whole plethora of cocktail bars. Trendy but inclusive - not elitist. This is particularly good if you are sightseeing over a weekend - as you can come back to the hotel after a full day, relax and then go out - everything is on the doorstep without having to worry about taxis/public transport. The hotel is within walking distance of most of the interesting sights and it's a vibrant atmosphere with the feeling of creativity and a generally positive mood.
Don't forget to bring DVD's and CD's as you can play them in your room. The hotel has a link to a dvd store which is useful - they return them for you. If you want to get an insight into what Berlin was like around the time of the wall coming down (and you have time) rent Goodbye to Lenin (it's an amusing film). If you enjoy food and drink Berlin is surprisingly a good choice (dispelling the myths of endless Wurst and potatoes!). I think we would have had a completely different experience of Berlin had we not stayed in this area and particularly in this hotel- akin to staying in the meatpacking district in New York.

5  Thank reviewerLondon
Reviewed 30 March 2006

Booked the hotel on the strength of the reviews on this site and was not in the least disappointed. The staff seem to take a great pride in the hotel and seem genuinely concerned that guests are happy.
The hotel could not be better situated as it is within easy walking distance of most of the major sights and public transport is on your doorstep.
A wide range of restaurants is beside the hotel.
Berlin is a great city with lots to see and do, and we have found on our two visits that people are very helpful and friendly.
The room is laid out in a 'fun' way with an open shower area.
One big disappointment was the lack of tea/coffee making facilities. Surely this would be very cheap to provide!
I am looking forward to our next visit to Berlin and will hopefully be staying at the Arcotel.

• Stayed: March 2006