“Fantastic Hotel-bad management” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
SouthAfrica
“Fantastic Hotel-bad management”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

The hotel itself is well located and easy to get around to all the major attractions from.Close to the underground( Potsdamerplatz), Brandenburg gate, within walking distance from checkpoint Charlie and across the road from the Sony centre.
As luxurious goes there are few hotel chains to beat that of the Ritz Carlton's and the Berlin branch is no exception.The restaurants, bar,spa and gym are tops, as are the rooms/suites.Well decorated, comfortable and with all the required amenities and life's little luxuries.
The staff were superb and bent over backwards to accommodate our requests and cater to our requirements . The barman in the Curtain bar is a MASTER of cocktail creations and I would highly recommend not only guests but other travellers to test his creative skills which are truly remarkable.
I would have rated this trip as a 10 out of 10 barring one incident which made me scratch the facade of this hotel and come to my conclusion, fantastic hotel bad management.-trip 7 out of 10.
On the orders of management staff came into our room and emptied our room fridge bar of all alcohol and even some of the soft drinks.We were horrified to find our privacy had been violated with no apology or warning or even explanation of this action.
Upon querying what transpired we were fobbed twice with the most ridiculous explanations, i.e. a guest with a similar name requested this and we were mixed up..upon querying whom the guest was to verify same, more ridiculous explanations followed.
Upon writing a written complaint to management (GM) who then met with us and gave a more rational explanation( still however blaming young and inexperienced staff) offered us "compensation" of some sort.This was not our intention or cause of action and we declined.The GM insisted he would find some way to compensate us( a bottle of Champagne or whatever)...this never materialised.
I have learnt in many years of business....NEVER promise what you have no intention of delivering.
Now whilst this may seem a trivial affair I find it reprehensible that staff can enter ones room with no permission and remove whatever they please to whenever they opt to do so. It begs question as to just how secure and safe are not only ones possessions but how safe and secure are the guests themselves.Management do not think this is a problem??

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Robin F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Scottsdale, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

This is a great city hotel. Check-in was efficient and flawless. Room was large, clean and the bed was very comfortable. Large and luxurious bathroom. Service friendly but not overbearing and very well trained. Expensive but quality breakfast buffet. The location is fantastic with public transportation outside the door. Walking distance to many sites and attractions. Looking forward to my next stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ExplorerPhotographer
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Stayed here for a business trip and absolutely cannot rate this hotel (and my very helpful PA for finding it!) highly enough. Seamless check-in through the tremendous lobby. 3 people asked if they could help with my bag! Nothing is too much trouble (forgot razor, need directions, need a taxi = all done). Room is just great - spacious, comfortable and super cool gadgets to open and close the curtains at the flick of a switch, iPod Dock, heated floors in the bathroom are an an amazing touch and the bath...brilliant. And this is a dude that doesn't use a bath much - was like a swimming pool!
Food is great standard, especially the sweet potato fries! Fruit plate was sizeable very much enjoyed eating it listening to the awesome pianist in the lobby / bar.
Gym is great for a quick workout and the spa is beautiful; pool, jacuz, full plunge pool and two saunas - one naked, one not!! Choose wisely to avoid exposed dangly bits.
If I'm back next year, there's no doubt where I'll stay.
Niggle - $20 a day for in room wifi? Seriously? This leaves a sour taste.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank jaywallington
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Ok, I am a bit tardy with my review. But never too late to give accolades to a wondrous stay at the RC Berlin. What stands out most at the RC Berlin is the INCREDIBLE staff we encountered. Mr. Petrovic I say kudos to you for finding incredibly dedicated, delightful, attentive and highly competent folks who work for the RCB. I sincerely mean that! I am ex GM from NYC and I understand the difficulty to find not just quality employees, but EXTRAORDINARY ones. I hope you are on the premises and not sequestered in an office or focused on conference business, because you are certainly missing your wonderful staff doing amazing things everyday! You have scored the jackpot. Robert W at the front desk is an incredible, charming and gracious hospitality professional in every sense. He was EXTREMELY attentive and super helpful with all our needs. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and we were more than delighted when he upgraded us to a lovely suite. Then walks in the most amazing Guest Relations Manager... WHERE DID YOU FIND HER!!! They don't make them like that anymore, Nicky P. She is one of the most ebullient managers I've met in a long time. We were super impressed with her Guest Relations skills and geniality. We felt like we were staying at someone's home instead of a hotel. Of course then there is the Beefeater, Mr Robert! I don't think the hotel can function without him. His disposition and charisma are just astounding. My 5 year old was so happy to be part of his little show. She got to make her acting debut:).. We cannot forget the dapper and dashing Samuel. I think he is probably the best doorman we've met in all our entire travels. And trust me we've been around. There are so many more, I can go on and on. Mr Petrovic, I know the Ritz Brand is a luxury brand, but yours stand out because of the Exemplary Service you provide. Thanks for making us wanting to return soon. Thanks for the amenities, Champagne and Macaroons are always a delightful treat to find waiting for you on your anniversary. The only little thing I would recommend/ request would be to offer a "PILLOW MENU", I am sure it may be available upon request, but it would be nice to have a card in the room that offered it. Other than that.. Perfect all the way! Great brekkie in the am, you couldn't present it any better!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Potsdamer Platz. VIew is beautiful
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank camigirl1969
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

The modern exterior of this tower block hotel belies the traditional elegance of the interior. This is a very well thought-out hotel with good facilities, excellently appointed rooms, in the perfect location at the centre of the city at Potsdamer Platz, only a short walk from the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag. Rooms are a good size and the beds are comfortable. The bathrooms are very good and the standard of daily room cleaning, etc. is high. If I had to dig around for small criticisms I would say that the rooms are a little too hot (even with the air conditioning on as cold as it can go) and there is an unfortunately angular towel rail on the glass shower door which can be difficult to avoid when walking in or out of the shower. It is rather odd that they try to charge for internet access at an hourly rate when almost all phones and laptops will connect through your own home package at virtually no cost - they really should catch up with the modern world and make the wifi free. Breakfast is another slightly strange piece of hotel planning - at 38 euros per person per day it costs a family of four 152 euros for coffee, a croissant and some fruit or cereal, etc. - with Postdamer Platz and the whole city of Berlin outside the front door, don't even think about it (it comes down by 10 euros per person per day if you agree a multi-day package in advance at reception - we didn't bother). My only real criticism is the female reception staff who were unhelpful and somewhat offhand in manner - I had booked for two rooms and had taken the time to phone a few days before arrival to ensure that the room for myself and my wife had one big bed and that the one for my teenage children had two single beds. I ensured that the hotel confirmed this to me with an email from the reservation coordinator Bettina Krueger. On arrival they had allotted us two rooms, both with double beds! Not really what you expect from a 5 star international hotel. The lady at reception was not about to rectify things until I produced a print-out of Ms.Krueger's email, after which things were resolved rapidly, though completely without good grace. What a shame that such an excellent hotel has reception/reservation staff of this nature. In all other respects our stay was excellent and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel, especially if you are coming to Berlin for sightseeing as the location is perfect.

Room Tip: Make sure that your booking requirements are re-confirmed to you in an email from the hotel before y...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

The hotel is good and I had a pleasant stay, but the hotel is missing some of the high end service touches one expects from a property of this caliber.

Location is very central, in the middle of Potsdamer Platz. It is a little bit of a walk to the U-bahn and S-bahn stations across the plaza.

Check in was pleasant and efficient. I had booked through a website and I was asked to present a voucher, which I had never received nor ever heard of. They were satisfied with a printout of the website confirmation but I wonder what would have happened had I not printed it out ahead of time. We were not offered to be shown to our room.

The room itself was large and nicely appointed. The beds were large by European standards, with excellent linens and were exceptionally comfortable. The bathroom is luxurious, with separate bath and shower.

Turndown service never happened, I am not sure why. I think for a luxury European hotel this is a little inexcusable.

On the other hand, the included buffet breakfast was extraordinary. Wide selection, eggs boiled to various levels of softness/hardness, custom omelets, pastries (including cronuts!), exotic fruits...well worth it.

Wifi was not free, which is extremely annoying. In this day and age, I don't think even luxury properties should charge for wifi when competitors and even the cheapest motel brands are providing it for free. It seems more and more like offensive nickel and diming even if the typical Ritz Carlton guest is not terribly price conscious.

Checkout was fine and the receptionist was actually very helpful with some minor requests that we made, including personally getting us some plastic utensils for some food we had bought for the train.

In summary - a good, but not outstanding property. Would stay again but the property is not at this point consistently providing service at the level of the best hotels in Europe.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

It’s Ritz-Carlton, and everything is expected to be luxurious all over the world. The first time I was in Berlin with my just wedded husband, we didn’t want to risk comfort over price so we had to go with the Ritz and no doubt we just got what we wanted, a luxurious stay. My expectation was not crushed and I would want to stay here again. Very updated interior designs and the rooms are exceptional. The bellboy was very friendly and made some suggestions on which restaurants to go and eat fine food. The breakfast buffet was awesome too.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple