“Staff not up to 5 star standard”

Ranked #22 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Staff not up to 5 star standard”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed here on the 12th August for 5 nights.

Positives
-Looks great , fresh and modern
-Good area to be in

Negatives
-We were given a room that was a twin [never asked for it ...wanted a double] When we went back to reception told us no rooms left with a double bed. To me this is shocking a very large hotel and they don't have a single room on a tuesday night with a double bed. We had to go back and sleep there
-Hassle then of unpacking and packing again next day as we were told we could have another room by next night. Told me come back at 3pm and it will be ready. Was it no? Wasn't ready til 5pm and left us waiting for ages so basically wasted half our day with moving.
-The room we had first also had no internet or phone signal
-Both rooms we found dust
-Really overpriced for internet usage in room and everything else in hotel ie breakfast , drinks...considering you have all shops and cafes 1min from you...why would you even go here?
-Had breakfast in room once and was cold so never ordered again
-Stayed on 7th floor [2nd move] and got woke by drilling noises. What hotel does this at 10.00am????? If you need to do it , its common sense hours of 1-3pm when hotel is least busy.

We will not return to here. My advice for anyone its ok for one night stay if your in area otherwise for anything longer look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't book it
6 Thank francescaf218
RitzCarlton2014, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Berlin, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear francesca f,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment. I am very sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations and would appreciate to be in touch with you.

Feedback is extremly important to us, and so if you could afford the time, I may be reached directly at this number +49 30 33 777-6002.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Robert Petrovic
The Ritz-Carlton, Berlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had our share of issues. The first day we were gone from 8Am to 3:30 and came back to relax but the room hadn't been made up. The next morning we took showers and found only one towel. Breakfast, while a fabulous selection, is a trick to get your coffee and cappuccino. The pool and spa where I went to relax and read my book was full of screaming kids. This is really a great family hotel but for couples that want to relax and enjoy the city I don't recommend if you come here to expect five star service. They are catering to a larger mass - not the Ritz quality we have come to rely on in other cities. There is no service in the pool/spa area. Still a great location in Potsdammer Platz. And the beds are comfy as all the Ritz.

1 Thank lesliebauman
RitzCarlton2014, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Berlin, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear lesliebauman,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment. I am very sorry to hear that your experience did nto meet your expectations and would appreciate the opportunity to be in touch with you.

Feeback is extremly important to us, and so if you could afford the time, I may be reached directly at this number +49 30 33 777-6002. I look forward to hearing from you,

Robert Petrovic
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

The Ritz-Carlton in Berlin is the most beautiful hotel, I have ever been. Berlin is an amazing city, and the Ritz-Carlton is in the heart of this metropole. Everything was excellent, the room was like a dream, the location is perfect, just a few minutes from Brandenburg Gate. Breakfast was also perfect! The Ritz-Carlton is the next level of luxury.

Stayed August 2014
Florida
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed here last week for several days. The hotel has a great location right on Potsdam Platz. Our room on 7th floor overlooked the Platz. Spacious room with beautiful marble bathroom. Service and morale at the hotel were superb. Elegant hotel in all respects. Several cafés closeby in the Sony building and Platz area. Our favorite was Letter and Wegner.
We had the room with the breakfast package. The breakfast was unusual and the restaurant wasn't typical of Ritz Carltons. More of a country store atmosphere. Lots and lots of children at this buffet. Just a heads up, you are served coffee, juice and champagne once, and from there on you have to serve yourself. Great assortment of breakfast foods. I would highly recommend the buffet to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Platz
Trafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This is a really splendid hotel. I'm glad I found it. It has first class facilities and very high quality fixtures and fittings throughout. Every aspect is well cared for. It is spotless. The superior room is spacious, well ventilated, has a sumptuous bathroom, a large comfortable bed and plenty of storage spaces. The hotel entrance is grand and is in an excellent location being next to Potsdammer Platz and the Sony Centre which are connected by bus and both U and S lines to the rest of Central and wider Berlin. There are many places of historical interest within walking distance for those interested in WW2 and the division and subsequent re-unification of Germany.
So why have I given it a score of 4 and not one of 5?
Well, I didn't really need three telephones in my room but would have liked instead affordable Internet (charged at 6.95 euros/hr). I would have swapped the many many pay-TV services on offer for the chance to plug my iPad into a HDMI socket and select it from the menu (you couldn't). I would also have liked an affordable breakfast (currently 36 euros per person) or to have the chance to make my own tea in my room without paying 16 Euros(tea service charge) per night for the privilege. I usually have an evening meal or two in the hotel when on a short break, but the special offer here was 69 euros for a plate and a glass of wine. And just for the record a half bottle of mediocre red wine from the minibar costs 29euros.
Now all of this may sound like moaning about money but my point is this. Readers to whom money is no object - go ahead. The place is superb and has all you need. Those who like to get value for money - go ahead too. There are very good weekend deals available for the rooms and the Sony Centre 50m away has breakfasts at 4.90 with 30 minutes free wifi, a well-stocked supermarket with some good wines and countless delis are 200m away. There are also dozens of restaurants to suit every pocket inbetween. So I had a good time in first rate accommodation and had all meals and services just a few metres away without spending anything in the hotel.

1 Thank traveller-in-hope
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel is one.of the best locations in Berlin..Potsdamer platz..the rooms are big and quiet but starts to look old..same is the bar and lobby. We've stayed there at middle of August for 180 euro a night icluding very good breakfast..its a very good bargain I paid in the past more than double for this hotel..problem was I wasn't the only.one that thinked like this and the hotel was packed everywhere.
Its still a good choice for Berlin

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 August 2014

A true 5 star experience, from check-in to check out. Great rooms, modern bathroom, (amazing shower) Perfect breakfast, amazing staff. nice piano being played in the lounge as well, overall a very relaxing and great stay!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo