“Had a great time!”

Generator Hostel Berlin Mitte
Ranked #12 of 356 Speciality Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Recently I made a 4 city tour for my vacation and Berlin was the first stop. The Generator was great! Clean, great location and friendly staff. The cafe is a bit expensive so if you have the time before sightseeing walk down the block and there are many places you can grab breakfast where you get more for your euro!. The bar is ok, the bartender is really funny and cool. Overall a great experience!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 March 2014

It's clean, well looked after, central & very accommodating. Nothing was too much trouble & the staff seem to love working there which makes the world of difference. All staff from top to bottom were friendly & easy going. Definitely worth a go & I would go again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The best of Generator Berlin are its common areas! They had a great bar and a great place to chill out with a huge tv to watch soccer!
I stayed in a 4 bed dorm with bathroom. Nothing special but clean room and functional. The only problem is that the bathroom gets messy after anyone gets a shower, they don’t have shower mats and everything gets wet
Their breakfast is a bit overprice compared to other hostels I have been
The street where is located have a few “working” girls around, though, I thought it was well located and a safe área. You have a underground very close by!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I booked the Generator Mitte hostel for a stag do. There were 25 people to accomodate in the end but, as often happens with big groups of people, some folk were dropping out then saying they wanted to go, etc, etc and the numbers kept changing. The people at Generator made it seem like it was no trouble at all to keep changing the numbers and reserving and unreserving me rooms - this was a good sign, they were incredibly helpful.
When we arrived we were giving a friendly greeting (which doesn't always happen when you are a group of English idiots who are clearly just going to be drunk all the time!) by staff that spoke better english than some of us! (and I noticed that when we checked out they addressed me be name which was a nice touch)
I booked several twin and single private rooms which were all excellent. They are literally just a toilet, shower and beds but they are comfortable, clean, modern and well laid out. The shower was awesome. The whole feel of the place was modern, vibrant and laid back - and all for just over 30 EUR a night!

This particular hostel was located very centrally (as the name suggests) and was a short walk from some of the big tourist spots in Berlin. There were plenty of places to get food and drink - all of which were very welcoming.

We didn't get round to eating in the restaurant in the hostel but from what we heard from other folk staying there it is very good.

For a place that cost us about £60 for 2 nights in Germany's capital you just can't knock it - a massive thank you to all the staff that relieved some of the stress of being the best man!

Room Tip: If you don't fancy bunk beds it might be worth specifying that when booking (they're still c...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2014

In terms of rooms the hostel was good. All the dorms were clean and the beds were comfy. However this is a terrible hostel for groups of students. The location is pretty bad as it is nowhere near the centre of berlin. We had a class trip here and the staff were extremely rude and unaccommodating to our group. One of the days they even locked all of us out of our different rooms by deactivating our keys without our knowledge until we tried to use them. This was due to 'payment problems' they said. As our group leader had paid for card but could only pay 2000 of the 2500 we owed on one of the days because it was his maximum daily limit on his card. We were still going to be staying in the hostel the next day and he would pay the rest, which they agreed to but then proceeded to lock us out. They also do not allow alcohol to be consumed on the premises and confiscated a lot of our groups drink. We had asked them prior to us booking the hostel if we would be allowed drink and they said yes they have a common room downstairs that we could use but on arrival they said different and made us all stand outside the doors to drink it. For families or aybe small groups this could we a good hostel but do not book for large groups of students!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Rosa H, General Manager at Generator Hostel Berlin Mitte, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Hello Rachel,
thank you for taking the time to post your comments.
I am sorry to hear that we haven't managed to meet your expectations and I apologize for that.
We have reviewed our house rules with the reservations team to make sure our policy is communicated correctly: Everyone over 18 can buy alcohol from our bar and drink in the public spaces of the hostel. However, out of respect for bed and/or room neighbors, we ask our guests not to bring alcohol to the rooms.
If you would like to talk further, please contact me with any concerns you have: rosa.hoehn@generatorhostels.com
Regards
Rosa Hoehn

Reviewed 14 March 2014

I am very happy I choose Generator Mitte. The location is excellent. Staff are great. I liked the decor too. This place is CLEAN, very clean. And fun; sometimes I enjoyed just sitting in the foyer watching all the activity. My bed was VERY comfy, and nice and wide. But in the dorm I felt the beds that were side by side were too close together. Accessing my closet was a bit awkward too, as it was a bit cramped, but certainly doable. Ensuite dorm toilet and shower rooms (two showers) were very good; the shower water was hot and the flow strong. 24 Hour front desk and 24 hr access to food was a great option. I would have liked if I had the option to make my own food or at least tea or what ever, but it was certainly managable when one could buy hot water for only 50 cents.
Generator is I feel geared to a young 20 something crowd. I am 50 something but I certainly did not feel at all uncomfortable in the Generator, I felt very welcomed there. All this in a central location, at a great price. I have already recommened this hostel to others, and I will stay there again. Being in the Generator certainly added to the enjoyment of my stay in Berlin.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Myself and a group of friends stayed here in May 2013, not long after it had opened. As you could imagine, the quality of the rooms and hostel itself was very good. I am pleased to read that has not changed! The service was also great, in particular the Irish guy who was working there at the time. Good atmosphere and nice location, not too far from the centre. Would go back if I was to visit again.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends