“Incredible hotel that made our trip!”
Review of Das Stue

Das Stue
Ranked #5 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Das Stue deserves a place on the list of great hotels of the world: a harmonious mix of functional, beautiful design and accommodating, attentive staff made our stay as memorable as a visit to any attraction in Berlin itself.

We booked five nights, with breakfast and a massage in the spa and were blown-away by every aspect of the hotel.

The building is nestled on a serene edge of the Tiergarten within walking distance of most districts of Berlin (we regularly walked into Schoenberg from the hotel) and is as stunning as you’d expect from an old Embassy building: an almost silver-screen elegance that was opulent without feeling off-putting and beautiful without feeling precious.

We were greeted by the concierge who took our bags, showed us around the bar, reception before leaving us to have a coffee on one of the ridiculously comfortable sofas in the bar (even if you don’t have a drink, have a seat in any one of the armchairs – you won’t regret it!)

Our room had every amenity we could want or need (including a bed the size of the Saharan desert) and a wonderfully powerful power shower, separate bath, computer and state-of-the-art TV, chaise, easy-chairs – I could go on, and on but, it’s easier to say everything we wanted was inside without exception without compromising the masses of floor-space.

The turn-down service was the best of any hotel I’ve ever been too, seemingly operating at all hours of the day and never once when we were in the room. If I didn’t know better I’d say Das Stue employs some form of magic when turning down the rooms it was so efficient and seamless.

The breakfast was world-class! Over the course of our stay we were constantly surprised by the variety and selection of the breakfast bar – fish, meats, mousse, pastry, bread, cheese … all incredibly delicious. I’d travel back for the breakfast menu alone!

Enhancing our stay were the staff at Das Stue who were always knowledgeable, happy and entirely accommodating (especially considering we don’t really speak German) we felt perfectly welcome throughout the stay. Room-service was incredible, the concierges utterly efficient and helpful, the breakfast staff attentive and energetic and reception constantly on hand to help with any request we made (mostly taxis but, also whether the Bauhaus Archiv was open on Mondays).

It’s impossible not to gush about our stay in Das Stue or recommend it more highly as a truly sumptuous hotel that made our holiday. We will certainly go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andy M
JP D, General Manager at Das Stue, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Your review really makes each one of the team extremely happy as all departments were able to exceed your expectations, which is the ultimate objective for a hotelier.

We really appreciate that you shared this very positive experience and look forward to welcoming you back.

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (1,722)

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Das Stue is a design lover's dream. There are so many hotels out there that purport to be "design" hotels but are really just spartan, ikea-esque disappointments. Das Stue really demonstrates that it's possible to have a luxurious, inviting space that is also modern and stylish. The hotel looks just like it does in its pictures! We had one of the "regular" Stue rooms and found we had plenty of space and we also really enjoyed our view of the ostriches outside our window.

One thing we were worried about is whether the hotel was too far away from Mitte and some of the tourist sights. Our worries proved to be unwarranted since the hotel is only a few blocks (very pretty blocks at that) from the 100 bus, which takes you everywhere you need to go and was very easy to figure out. We couldn't believe it was a public bus - it was extremely clean - way nicer than the buses we're used to riding in NYC and San Francisco. We actually much preferred Das Stue's Tiergarten location because it was so beautiful. There is also a pretty happening bar scene at Das Stue at night in case you don't want to leave the hotel.

The staff was all very friendly and helpful.

Overall, the hotel ranks as our favorite hotel design-wise and was well worth the price (in contrast, while the breakfast buffet was lovely, we found it wasn't worth the 35 euro per person price given some of the other options out there). We highly recommend Das Stue and will be staying there again the next time we are in Berlin!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gina M

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for having stayed at our hotel and for sharing your experience. We are very happy to hear that you appreciated our unique location, which sets us out from the rest as well as our very modern yet functional design.

Sorry to hear that you did not feel the breakfast was worth it, we do offer other options than the buffet though for your information.

We do look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Das Stue exceeds the glowing reviews it has rightly received. I stayed in the most modest of their rooms which was certainly not modest with cutting edge design and extra long beds . A first class spa, great restaurant and bar, together with the unbeatable location complete the package. I didn't want to leave even to go to restaurants that I had struggled to get a reservation at because it is such an enjoyable place to be.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank TravelGuruMoscow

Dear Guest

Many thanks for the very positive review and we do look forward to welcoming you back. May I also suggest to try and book our restaurants in advance as they have become very busy and although we try and keep some for our hotel guests its not always so easy.

Once again many thanks and all the best

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I really wanted to like this hotel, I had made considerable effort to stay here for my four nights in Berlin. I made a number of calls to the hotel to ensure that this was possible. I was given a room overlooking the Zoo, certainly memorable.
The location is excellent, quite, sophistocated and with easy access to the park, a walk through this tranquil park to some of the sites was very relaxing and good for the soul
I found breakfast a little interesting, the advertised breakfast of 35 Euro is not essential, there are a number of options available, though the consistency of the order that is presented leaves a little to be desired - poached eggs on day one looked very appertising, on day three they looked almost inedible due to the presentation, it is obvious that some of the hotel staff are more experienced than others - though all made every effort to provide good service.
There was an electrical problem with my room which resulted in the hotel calling me twice to find out if all was OK as the fire alarm had gone off for my room, the first time at 1645 in the afternoon when the engineer and duty manager checked the room and found nothing wrong and the second time at 0230!!! I am the first to admit that the checking is essential, however a couple of things irritated me about this - firstly it was obvious that the hotel suspected I was smoking in the room and viewed the whole thing suspiciously, secondly, the call at 0230, when I said this is the second call he said he would leave a note for his colleague. I found it difficult to go back to sleep as I was not sure if there was a problem in the hotel, I was certain I had not smoked in the room. The next morning, no mention, no apology for the inconvenience. I would think that if you are going to disturb a guest with a problem that is really the hotel's problem there would be some apology? Obviously not.
Would I stay again, I would check what is the next recommendation on Tripadvisor

Room Tip: All rooms would be quiet due to the location, not that I saw one but I would think the Embassy room...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank FranEH1204

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for having stayed at Das Stue and for your review. I am really sorry to hear about the iconsistency of the breakfast. I have spoken to the kitchen about this and I do beleive this was an isolated case.

I am also really sorry about the disturbance caused by our front desk staff calling you about the smoke alarm. Indeed to be called so early in the morning is really not acceptable. However when it comes to smoke alarms, most hotels do have quite stict procedures as guest safety is our priority. Indeed this should have been properly communicated (that there was an electrical problem), however in the records it showed it was fixed, hence it was checked again.

We do hope you give us another chance and i do appreciate that your review was more positive than negative

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I don't think I have ever found a hotel to be faultless but Das Stue is as near to perfect as it is possible to be. From the beautiful location on the edge of the Tiergarten park and overlooking Berlin zoo to the fabulous staff to the modern décor and perfect cleanliness this is a must recommend hotel and a must return! We stayed in a junior suite overlooking the Tiergarten and were given an excellent introduction to the room by the friendly receptionist who answered lots of our questions about the city and showed us how everything worked. There was also a friendly concierge available to help with questions about the city. Our room was immaculately clean and comfortable and very quiet. The bar area and the library split over three floors are great areas to relax with a drink or snack. The bar staff were friendly and efficient. We didn't dine in the restaurant but can imagine how great it was based on the casual menu and the breakfast. Breakfast was a joy. The staff were superb and the food selection was excellent, fresh and abundant. We particularly enjoyed the beautiful juice and milkshake selection and lovely yoghurts! There was plenty there to suit all tastes and was a very relaxing experience.
We used the swimming pool on two occasions which was again immaculately clean and the spa staff seemed very friendly. It was a nice touch to have a selection of flavoured waters and apples available at the pool side.
The concierge staff were really helpful with booking taxis and providing us with bikes, and a very special thanks goes to the lady on reception who helped us with a problem we had and needed to phone the airport. She was a fantastic help and really assisted us to make a potentially stressful situation much easier to deal with. Berlin is a fantastic city but Das Stue really made our stay extra special. The only thing I could say is that the technology in the rooms may be quite tricky for some guests as it is top of the range and could take a bit of working out!
The location is superb, you can potter round the corner to the zoo. The Brandenburg gate is about 20 minutes away and if you hire bikes you can easily travel all over the city it is very flat and very bike friendly.
If you like quality without it being snobby and pretentious then this is the hotel for you. Well done Das Stue we will look forward to returning.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sam T

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for having stayed with us and for the very positive review. We are so happy to read that Das Stue meant so much to you. I am sorry to hear that the technology in the room was a little too modern, we are in the process of making it a little simpler by installing new remote controls.

We do hope to welcome you back very soon

Reviewed 25 February 2014

If you're like me, a lover of architecture and design, you will undoubtedly enjoy Das Stue. I've travelled the world on business and pleasure and I've stayed in many fine hotels. The inspiring, relaxed and comfortable Das Stue is one of the very best.

You will find, for the most part, good value for money here. There is high quality in both form and function throughout. Our Junior Suite, with its expansive views (zoo, sky, city) out a long wall of floor to ceiling windows, was great. Waking to the sound of birds chirping through an open window (fresh air!) in a big city is wonderful.

Service overall at Das Stue is friendly and helpful. We experienced some service that went above and beyond. Our room and the hotel in general was very clean throughout our stay. The otherwise lovely doormen were a little too 'on it' for us and can easily resolve that by being more discerning/discreet with what different guests prefer.

Though I understand there are no guarantees, and this is about luxury on luxury, I was disappointed (and surprised with a Junior Suite) that my request for a bath wasn't fulfilled. Maybe there aren't that many rooms with baths on offer? Rain showers feel great, but are impractical when not washing hair. Hand held showering feels underwhelming in this context.

The breakfast spread is really beautiful and delicious, but be aware that it costs 35 euro per person, which I feel is too costly regardless of quality. We were taken by surprise when receiving the bill unfortunately, especially given we were on the run to a full day of work, ate relatively little and didn't have the time to properly enjoy it. Communication and options could be better here.

We had a large screen Apple TV in our room that we very much enjoyed, though it was too often not easy to use, failed unexplainably at times and the remote was unreliable (and we're technically proficient people).

We had a wonderful stay at your very beautiful hotel, thank you Das Stue.

Room Tip: We loved our Junior Suite overlooking the zoo and part of the city.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HLEC
JP D, General Manager at Das Stue, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for having stayed at Das Stue and for sharing your positive experience although there were some minor details which could have been better which I would like to explain:
Indeed not all our rooms have bathtubs which I agree is a shame, however as we are an historic/protected building, we were not able to build these into all the rooms. For sure if there is a request for a bathtub, we will always do our best to offer this and we are sorry that we were not able to fullfill this.
In regards to the remote controls, we are in the process of changing them and hope to have them all installed by end of March, this will make it much more user friendly.
For the breakfast, we do offer continental options and lighter versions of the buffet, i am sorry that this was not explained to you.
Once again we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back very soon
with kind regards

Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

We went here for our honeymoon for 4 nights. What a beautiful hotel. It is modern, relaxing and classy. We were allocated a room overlooking the zoo which was amazing. Customer service was the best I've ever had. We ate in the restaurant one night, which was to a very good standard. The bar was stunning, we enjoyed a relaxing drink in there after a full on day of sightseeing. On Friday nights there is a live band which was really nice. Sauna and pool was nice to look at but the pool was a little on the cool side. Would recommend anyone to stay there.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

We feel honoured that you had selected Das Stue to celebrate your honeymoon. An occasion like that needs to be perfect and we are pleased to read that we succeeded. We have taken note that the swimming pool was a little on the cold side, we apologize for this.

Thank you for sharing your experience and we do hope to welcome you back very soon