“Top Choice in Berlin”
Review of Das Stue

Das Stue
Ranked #6 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We chose Das Stue based on a recommendation from a local resident and were pleased we did so. I initially thought the location was a bit out of it but, as our visit developed, it functioned very well for our activities. The hotel is beautifully presented with a very attractive outdoor dining/bar area. We had a junior suite which was large and decorated in a very modern loft style and impeccably appointed. All the staff we encountered were both charming and efficient and the restaurant is particularly good. Berlin is a very cycle friendly town and Das Stue rents bikes at a modest price which makes it a very easy option to get around.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter J
JP D, General Manager at Das Stue, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very positive review. Happy to read that service and facilities were really appreciated as well as our unique location.

We do hope to welcome you back very soon

998 - 1,004 of 1,640 reviews

Reviewed 20 August 2014

My husband surprised me by booking one night in this hotel to spend a romantic childless weekend in our own city and it was a marvellous stay! I can highly recommend Das Stue.

The building itself is amazing: built in the 1930s, it is located in the diplomatic district of Berlin and used to host the Danish embassy (hence the Danish name of the hotel). Its historical part offers spacious, quiet rooms with high ceilings, its modern part is supposed to have a nicer view overlooking the zoo. The room interiors are modern and stylish.

I can highly recommend the wonderful Susanne Kaufmann spa: a truly relaxing experience. I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Julia once again for the two hours treatment: it felt like a holiday! Do not miss the beutifully designed pool and sauna area.

Room service was fast and the food quality excellent: lovely snacks with a Spanish touch.
Breakfast was also very good and the service during breakfast polite, attentive, committed to anticipate customers' needs.

Do take the time to try one of the delicious cocktails at the hotel's bar, while you enjoy watching the ostrichs passing by!

There are no restaurants or shops walkable from the hotel, but pretty much anything you may need is only a short taxi ride away. I find this to be an advantage if you are looking forward to a relaxing experience in one of the greenest areas of Berlin.

One small remark: we were supposed to stay in the modern part of the building and had been looking forward to a zoo view. Instead, we got to stay in the historical section of the hotel, which was ok for us as the room was stil lovely. Still, we had no view and felt that was a shame.

Also, more care should be dedicated to the mini bar: one of the water bottles had been opened by a previous guest and not been replaced. Also, although our room was made up while we were out for dinner, the water supply had not been restocked. It was a shame, as in the middle of the night we were then too tired to notify the reception about it. Not a big deal, but since everything else is spotless, it would be worth making the effort to make sure also these details are taken care of.

Free wifi is available and also bottled water in the rooms is for free.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with zoo view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsPerfectBerlin

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the very positive review. It is nice to be able to host some guests from Berlin and we are really happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel and of course our spa. You are aware though that the new shopping mall, Bikini House is only 5 minutes walk away! We are very happy of course to have this wonderful shopping experience so close to our hotel.

I am sorry to read that your water was not replaced, this should not have happened. Thank you for pointing this out.

We do hope to welcome you back very soon

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Booked Das Stue based on Tripadvisor reviews, and overall pleased with experience. Not to repeat the last few reviews - but rather to add: Stayed 6 nights - 2 nights in an embassy room, 4 nights in Jr Suite. Asked at booking time for view overlooking zoo - when we got there the Jr suite overlooked the roof / terrance of hotel, not really what we were looking for, so we switched to an embassy room until Jr Suite w/ zoo view available.

To note: while the embassy room (5th floor) was smaller than Jr suite, it had some very cool features (e.g. sliding wall above sink to bedroom) making it feel much larger. The view was over the ostrich area, which was neat. We then moved to the Jr Suite, which was handicapped accessible. As such, it had some odd features like unusually large shower, big door to enter bath, etc. I kind of missed the cool features of the embassy room. (Also here while it was a zoo view, you could see mostly trees vs animals. It was lovely to have the windows open, (floor to ceiling).

Agreed about the gym being small, and one day I just worked out in the room (lots of space due to handicapped accessible!) w/ my iPad vs the workout room. The floor was dark wood, and super sturdy, so I didn't feel like my jumping up and down disturbed the people below. Also, the concierge was very happy to provide a jogging map in the tier garden (of 3 different various lengths).

Also, to note - I was attracted to the hotel based on the spa - and while I would come back to Das Stue based on the service, uniqueness of hotel, etc, I would not come there just for 'the spa'. It seems to cater to one person at a time for treatments, booked on 'as demand'. I was overall pleased with the treatments I got, but not a place I would go to for a few hours to relax (supposedly there was a steam bath but I did not see it nor was offered).

Lastly, I enjoyed the animal influence - the bar is decorated with tasteful leather animals, etc that fit nicely with the decor and of course the neighbor, the Berlin zoo.

Room Tip: If you want a room overlooking room, be aware some rooms overlooking with zoo will only be tree-view...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Das Stue combines beautiful architecture (originally an embassy, has a unique architecture) with excellent contemporary design.
Great SPA with very nice pool.
Very good breakfast buffet, but did not try any of the two restaurants as one, more formal, was closed and the other one offered a Spanish influenced cuisine which is really not my taste.
Only downside is that some members of staff are a bit young and inexperienced for the task they are assigned and, consequently, they may not be as helpful as they would like to be. Also, the hotel could do with some extra staff to guarantee a faster service at the bar and more readily available doormen.
All in all a great place in a fantastic location and so different from the often anonymous larger hotel chains that have massive and dull buildings in Berlin.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Batmarcus
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Das Stue is a beautiful hotel to which I'd like to return. The kitchen is good, the staff is professional and friendly ... and yet there are a few things I would have wanted to know in advance:

The LOCATION ... there are no ATM machines, restaurants, shops, or convenience stores in the immediate vicinity of Das Stue. It is located on a beautiful, secluded road of embassy buildings (Das Stue is in the old Danish embassy). You must walk 15-20 minutes to public transportation or use a taxi/car service for everything. The Tiergarten is less than 1 minute away and makes for beautiful walks.

The ROOMS are beautiful but have some issues of practicality, for example: bathroom faucets that are controlled by a tiny joystick-like knob that's hard to use. Desk with no drawers. Power outlets so far from the desk surface as to be unusable (hotel provided an extension cord). Nightstand on only one side of the bed. No door between the living area and bathroom (the WC was in its own closet, however).

Most importantly, the first junior suite I was in (on the 4th fl.) had NO EXTERIOR VIEW AT ALL. Yes, it had a skylight and a bank of floor-mounted mini-windows, but there was no way to see outside (!). In a junior suite (!). The hotel moved me to another room on request, but who would want a room with no way to see outside?

The BREAKFAST buffet is terrific (and expensive, if not included in room rate: €35). The BAR is beautiful for afternoon / evening drinks .

The FITNESS ROOM is far too small: 1 treadmill, 1 stationary bike, 1 multi-function machine, a Technogym Kinesis machine. There is a beautiful indoor pool and spa.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has WINDOWS with an EXTERIOR VIEW.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank TransConFlyer
JP D, General Manager at Das Stue, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at Das Stue. I am happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

I would like to respond to your remarks in regards to our location. We are in fact 3 minutes by foot away from a major bus stop, 10 minutes walking from the largest shopping street in Berlin (Kudamm) and KaDeWe and located next to the Berlin Zoo which is really inbetween East and West Berlin. Cafe am Neuen See, Berlin's most popular Beer garden is actually 50 meters away and there is an ATM machine 100 meters away. On bicycle, the Brandenburger Tor is 10 minutes away. I am sorry that this was not made clear and we will work on ensuring all our guests are aware so as not to be disappointed.

As the building of our hotel is a listed and protected building we do have a lot of different types of rooms (over 25 different configurations). Some rooms on the fourth floor in the older building do have sky lights and smaller windows rather than large ones which is not everyone's taste. I am glad we were able to move you to a different room which we hope was more comfortable.

I do agree that our gym is on the small side, but we have aimed to be able to offer as much as possible with the space available, further more we do encourage our guests who especially like to run, to use the lovely park on our door step which provides great runs.

Once again thank you for your feedback and for having stayed with us

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Wow, just wow, amazing amazing amazing!!! This was an amazing hotel (did I already mention it was amazing???) Where to start? Firstly service, amazing. So so helpful. They really went out of their way to assist us in any way possible. Found us a superb restaurant for our anniversary dinner and also provided us with complimentary champagne to celebrate our special day.

The hotel is set in an old embassy and looks like a posh house, lovely modern design and really cool hanging out areas. At night, in the bar the play old black and white movies in the bar.

Rooms were very nice, big and cosy, with an Apple monitor which doubled as a TV and computer. Word of warning, this is clearly a place for couples, as there were no dividers for the bathroom.

Location is right by the zoo, which is quite cool (you should try and request a room that overlooks the zoo, so you can see the animals, we however didn't have such a room). Apart from that its a bit of a walk (about 10 mins) to public transport and it is not in the heart of Berlin, so do be aware.

Amazing breakfast service. Huge spread for the buffet and they also whip up different type of eggs for you. And the best bit, they offer champagne at breakfast!!

Normally we do pick hotels based on their location, but in this case we made an exception, and I am very glad we did.

Highly highly highly recommended, would stay there again without question.

Room Tip: Try and get one overlooking the zoo.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Das Stue by far is the most stylish boutique hotel in Berlin. Nicely and spacious appointed guest rooms with the finest Restaurant in Berlin by Paco Perez. The staff are genuine and friendly always willing to go the extra mile. The bar with some of the finest cocktails buzzy ambiance. An intimate, fun and stylish destination. Whenever in Berlin Das Stue will be my preferred choice.

• Stayed: February 2014