“A Book & Music store with a great Cafe”

Dussmann das KulturKaufhaus
Ranked #9 of 233 Shopping in Berlin
Richmond, Virginia
477 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 854 helpful votes
“A Book & Music store with a great Cafe”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We visit the Dussmann every time we are in Berlin. It is truly a Culture Store and has a music collection that rivals Virgin Records in New York's Times Square. There is also a large selection of books in English. Especially worth a stop is the Ursprung Cafe with its 'hanging garden.' The tortes are quite good and reasonably priced. Torte & Cappuccino cost 7,70 Euro.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank DonPaulo

• Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Berlin, Germany
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 194 helpful votes
“Amazing four story media store, with an attached two story all-English bookstore. In love!”
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

I moved to Berlin about six months ago, and most of the big (and even smaller) bookstores here have English book sections, but they usually only have best sellers and classics. Better than nothing, right? That's what I thought! But then my husband gave me a great birthday present- a gift card to Dussman's.

It's really convenient by S-Bahn, U-Bahn, or tram because its right by Friedrichstraße station and it is also within walking distance (15 mins) of Franzosischestrasse and Stadt Mitte stations as well.

First of all, the place is huge but well organized. Fun gifts are peppered throughout the store, which is packed full of books, DVDs, music, magazines, etc. I had to ask where the English section was. I'd heard it was two stories, but didn't know it was a separate entity within Dussman. Since its separate, it feels cozier. There are squashy chairs and stools to sit on while you read, and the English book selection is quite good. The prices weren't terrible either. This place will definitely be a place of solace for me, because I really miss Barnes and Noble!

Also noteworthy is an attached restaurant with indoor vertical garden- very convenient for a drink or snack. All in all, there is something for every book, music, or film snob at Dussman's, but without the pretentious staff of a small record shop. People there are nice!

If you're going to go, plan to spend at least an hour there!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank CrankySCTraveler
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great music shop”
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

I love my music and I didn't know where to start! They had some stuff I never knew existed, some stuff I had, even the special edition stuff I've found hard to get! Though some things I thought were a little pricey, but most music shops in modern day tend to be

Oslo, Norway
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Found what I've been looking for.”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was looking for a few albums because I'm a fan of music and want to support German artists because it's impossible to find their albums in other countries. Well, maybe it is, but for €€€€. Seriously, I would've spend hours there if I had a chance, but because of the schedule I couldn't. Actually, I could live there, it's a CD/LP paradise.

P.S Also found one album that is/was impossible to find in Scandinavia.

Visited August 2013
Sofia
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Huge collection of books and music”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

For some reason this place seems to be not so popular among tourist (and maybe natives too), but it has a huge collection of books and music CDs.

I especially liked the classical part of the KulturKaufhas, but the only downside of it was that most of the books and stuff there were in German. You can easily spend about a hour there just browsing through various kind of books and music sheets.

Visited August 2013