“The best”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The best”
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

There is an amazing choice of Books in English. However, it's not only books that appeal to me in the shop. I really loved the good selection of CDs there.The shop works till 12pm, which is indeed very rare.

1 Thank K K

• Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“When you need English”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Dussmann is not just a bookstore but a building selling books, dvds, cds, drinks, coffee, and performance. And for English-speaking visitors, the two floors of books in English are a treasure. Plaid-covered stools or leather armchairs provide respite while browsing. Staff speak English fluently. The English section is at the back of the building. While passing, go to the lounge in the basement for a drink or a coffee.

Visited February 2014
Moscow, Russia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Can't get enough of the mind-blowing Dussmann”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

You will love it!
The atmosphere is something really special. You get your peace if you need some, you get the excitement of purchasing something truly useful. Everything, simply everything you may need in books, music, small presents - you will find here. It's not overpriced.
And the people who work there - I've known this Kulturkaufhaus for 8 years now - are always extremely helpful and friendly professionals! If they don't have something in stock - order, and they will do everything they can to help you get your item as soon as possible.
The English Literature part is at least a must-see!
You may not believe me but this is our place No. 1 in Berlin. We love the city and visit it sometimes. Not that we don't appreciate the city itself and many places in it, we just adore Dussmann. We visit it several times when we get to Berlin even if we spend only 2 days there!

Visited November 2013
Richmond, Virginia
477 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 857 helpful votes
“A Book & Music store with a great Cafe”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We visit the Dussmann every time we are in Berlin. It is truly a Culture Store and has a music collection that rivals Virgin Records in New York's Times Square. There is also a large selection of books in English. Especially worth a stop is the Ursprung Cafe with its 'hanging garden.' The tortes are quite good and reasonably priced. Torte & Cappuccino cost 7,70 Euro.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank DonPaulo
Berlin, Germany
96 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 198 helpful votes
“Amazing four story media store, with an attached two story all-English bookstore. In love!”
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

I moved to Berlin about six months ago, and most of the big (and even smaller) bookstores here have English book sections, but they usually only have best sellers and classics. Better than nothing, right? That's what I thought! But then my husband gave me a great birthday present- a gift card to Dussman's.

It's really convenient by S-Bahn, U-Bahn, or tram because its right by Friedrichstraße station and it is also within walking distance (15 mins) of Franzosischestrasse and Stadt Mitte stations as well.

First of all, the place is huge but well organized. Fun gifts are peppered throughout the store, which is packed full of books, DVDs, music, magazines, etc. I had to ask where the English section was. I'd heard it was two stories, but didn't know it was a separate entity within Dussman. Since its separate, it feels cozier. There are squashy chairs and stools to sit on while you read, and the English book selection is quite good. The prices weren't terrible either. This place will definitely be a place of solace for me, because I really miss Barnes and Noble!

Also noteworthy is an attached restaurant with indoor vertical garden- very convenient for a drink or snack. All in all, there is something for every book, music, or film snob at Dussman's, but without the pretentious staff of a small record shop. People there are nice!

If you're going to go, plan to spend at least an hour there!

Visited October 2013