“Better than I expected”

Ibis Budget Berlin Kurfurstendamm
Ranked #96 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I'd never stayed in an Ibis before, particularly the budget version of the brand, so I really didn't know what to expect. I don't know how long the hotel has been opened, but everything in it seemed to be very clean and new. The Budget Ibis is next to a standard Ibis, with the only difference I could see from the outside was that the standard Ibis had a bar.

The rooms are quite small. The shower opens up directly into the room, and water can spray out through the hole in the glass door, that is used to open it. The sink is very small and is in a corner by the shower. The beds are narrow and firm with only one pillow, but actually quite comfortable. The room was also very warm even with the heating control turned to the coldest setting. There no toiletries apart from two very small bars of soap.

The breakfast was actually better than I expected. Some nice bread rolls, or toast, cereals, yogurt, cold meats, cheeses & spreads, boiled eggs, juice and good coffee. Though there can be a queue at the coffee machine when the breakfast room is busy.

It's possible to borrow an iron & ironing board from Reception if needed, though you need to pay a deposit. The staff were all helpful and friendly.

The hotel itself is less than 100 metres from Wittenbergplatz U-Bahn station, which is a lovely old building. It's one stop from there to Zoo station and the connections with the S trains, or you can go South and head all the way along to Alexanderplatz. It's also around a 5 minute walk to Ku'Damm. So the hotel is in a good location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Marcus L

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Hello there, i returned to Berlin just after two weeks from my previous review for Come INN hotel in the same main street, but now I had chose a new hotel.
For this short period I had chose Ibis Budget Hotel… this hotel located in the end of the Kurforstendamm and near the KDW Shopping mall, of course the best thing here is the train station that give you the opportunity to be close for every where…The hotel staff was so friendly and professionally.. The breakfast was so rich and was served instead of 7 Euro per day.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank AmoorSaleh
h7961_am, Manager at Ibis Budget Berlin Kurfurstendamm, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear AmoorSaleh,

Reviewed 28 February 2014

My usual ibis budget at potsdamerplatz was full for berlinale. This was 5 stops away from potsdamerplatz. The room was much cheaper then the same room at ibis budget potsdamerplatz, so the cost of a 7 day pass for public transportation is negligible. Thank you to Accor customer service for suggesting to stay here. It did save me a few hundred euros for a minor inconvenience.

Found the hotel easily. I was early (08h30) as I flew Etihad/ Air Berlin and did not insist for a room before official check-in time. Went to potsdamerplatz to meet a colleague from my company staying at the Suite Novotel. WE proceeded back to this hotel to make payment for my room at around 10h30m and did not insist for a room but we did ask (nicely and took no for a no). The frontline staff seemed upset. She never once smiled. Matron like behaviour. But I was in a good mood and didn't think much of it. WE paid and left the hotel and went back to potsdamerplatz - venue of the berlinale.

I came back after having lunch and past the official check-in time, some time in the afternoon. A room was available. I asked for my internet password and a different staff told me, there isn't one. I told her I bought the business package and she said OH!. Reached for a document from the printer and gave it to me without an apology. But she was not unpleasant.

Checked into my room and started unpacking. Decided to take a shower after spending over 20hrs on the road. There were no towels in the room. Not even hand towels. AS the room doesn't come with a phone. I had to go downstairs to ask for my towels.

I approached the reception counter. I decided I will speak to D, the staff I met at 08h30 and again at 10h30 when I made payment. D ( I won't spell her name) barked at me- Why do you have to speak to me? why can't I speak to her- she pointed at her colleague. My reply was- I am familiar with you as you checked me in and took my payment, so you are familiar with me. And why do you have to be so rude?- I asked her. She then ranted off to her colleague in German. (IMHO, another rude behaviour, speaking in front of the hotel guest about the hotel guest in a language the hotel guest is not familiar with)

Her colleague, a nice lady- came to her defence. Explaining D's behaviour as her English language skills is not good. My reply to her was - Her language skills is not good is one thing. Her human skills is lacking. Why did the hotel place D as a frontline staff is beyond me.

I got my towels in the end. Housekeeping was very nice about it and apologised.

The next 7 days. I basically avoided any contact with the reception staff.

Daily breakfast was pleasant and the breakfast staff were cheerful.

Quality paid wifi - business plan.

The room was good. No problem.

D, if you are reading this- I never insisted for an early check-in. Asking nicely and insisting are 2 very different things. I hope you can differentiate between both. You should not talk to any guest in the manner you spoke to me. It may be normal in Europe to another European but you have to know you are serving guest from all over the world. We are your guest, regardless of race, gender, language or religion. It may be the ibis budget but we are paying guest. How would you like it if you travelled half way round the world and when you reached your hotel and someone treated you like the way you treated me upon arrival? Would you like it?. You were not busy, there was no guest in the Q behind me.

I have thought long and hard before giving this feedback. I think it should be brought up because I am always staying at an Accor establishment.

Will I stay in this hotel again? Only if ibis budget potsdamerplatz and alexanderplatz are full.

BTW, my previous stays at ibis budget potsdamerplatz aka etap, were fantastic as you can see in my previous reviews.

Cheers!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank m36705
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a perfect position (50 mt fron the tube), at 10 min. walk from kurfusterdam. All staff was helpful and frindly, the breakfast was quite extensive, and over all the hotel was CLEAN. The rooms were small, but with new forniture and with a quite funny shower, but all was clean and well maintained. For the price asked all was above our expectations, perfect.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank naricio
h7961_am, Manager at Ibis Budget Berlin Kurfurstendamm, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Naricios,

we are very happy to read your valuation for our Ibis budget Hotel Berlin Kurfürstendamm.

Thank you very much!

Kind regards
Your Ibis Budget Hotel Team

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We first stayed here in the summer of 2013, after we found out, that our first option (the somewhat more expensive hotel next door) had no air conditioning in the burning 40 degrees Celsius.
The area in which the hotel is located couldn't be any better. Filled with shopping places and restaurants, and basically right at the exit from the Wittenbergplatz metro stop. The Berlin zoo is a walking distance from the hotel, but you can see it in my review, that i would not recommend that place to anyone.
There is a Kaiser (grocery store) just as you cross the street from the metro stop towards the hotel. We usually buy our drinks here, since it' much cheaper than buying them from the vending machine in the hotel. Note to self: even though you don't have a bottle opener (for beer and soft drinks) in your room, there is one attached to the vending machine downstairs.
One of the biggest and oldest shopping centers of Germany (KaDeWe) is visible from the hotel. The hotel does not offer breakfast directly. However, if you want hotel-served breakfast, the Ibis next door provides one for your. Please note that the two hotels are connected on the ground floor.
If you don't want to have breakfast at the hotel, there is a bakery right in front of it, and many others nearby.
If you need to print something, the next-door Ibis offers you free printing (from what i understood) from the computers next to the reception.
From in front of the KaDeWe you can take hop on hop off (aka "Jump on jump off") busses. Most of them charge the same fee for a ticket (around 10-12 €). Some of them offer live comments (which is really good in my opinion, because sometimes the bus needs to change its route due to traffic conditions...) some of them offer audio guides - these latter come in other languages too, not only English and German. However, from what we experienced, the red colored busses are the best to go with, because they are running a bus every 5-10 minutes, while others come only every 20-30 minutes. Keep this in mind, if you are visiting on a rainy day for example.

Room Tip: Rooms of the upper floors of the west side of the hotel have a much nicer view than those on the eas...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Orsi J
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Excellent budget hotel with pretty good location. The hotel is new and everything was spotless clean. Room and bathroom were really tiny, bed wasn't comfortable (and small) for us and there are basically no amenities in the room. Great for a short stay. Breakfast is not worth the 7.5 euro, get some breakfast outside the hotel, there are close-by venues. Staff at front desk was hit and miss. No lobby bar, but there's one in the next-door Ibis.

I would seriously consider this again for a quick break but I'll feel miserable staying there more than 2-3 nights. Good value for money, more like a very modern hostel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hristo M
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The hotel is in a good location, station and supermarket literaly in front of the hotel. If you are a serious shopper, it is perfect, all the best shops are here. You can just take a bus and be in the centre in 20 min. The staff helped me with maps, directions, information and were really nice and friendly.
The room was big and i stayed on the 8th floor so no noise from street. If anything, I would have liked to have a kettle in the room, but it is a budget hotel so overall I was really happy with my choice.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Fabs_10
h7961_am, Manager at Ibis Budget Berlin Kurfurstendamm, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Fabs_10,

thank you for taking the time to give us a review of your stay at the Ibis Hotel.
We are very glad to hear that you have spent nice days in Berlin and were satisfied with the location of the hotel, the rooms and the friendliness of our staff.

We hope to welcome you again.

Kind regards