We're retired and have therefore become budget travelers. We had four destinations in Germany and our goal was to find in each one an acceptable hotel for under $100 per night. This is not an easy task, especially in expensive cities like Berlin! The IBIS Potsdamer Platz was a great option. IBIS is one of the hotel chains now owned by Accor Hotels. On the IBIS website we booked a double room for 49 Euros per night! (Full disclosure: this rate was restricted to payment in advance and was non-refundable, but we had trip insurance so it was worth taking the risk). The rate did not include breakfast but we paid the 10 Euros each to eat breakfast there -- a great buffet. We both need at least three cups of coffee to get going in the morning, and when you consider that a single cup of coffee on the street is 2 Euros or more, the buffet with all the coffee you can drink is a relative bargain! So with breakfasts our daily rate was 69 Euros per night which is still a fantastic price for two people. Many of the hostel/hotels in Berlin were considerably more expensive than that for two people in a private room.
This appears to be one of the newer IBIS hotels -- both the room and the bathroom (en suite) were very spacious with adequate closet and storage space. Our room was on the 7th floor on the street side. The street is very quiet and we often had the window open overnight without experiencing street noise. The front desk staff were universally friendly and helpful. There are two computers in the lobby offering free internet access.
From the window we could see Potsdamer Platz and the Bundestag dome. The "Topography of Terror" museum is a block away.
The hotel is about a 15 minute leisurely walk to Potsdamer platz. There is a subway line 1/2 block from the hotel. Bus No. 41, also 1/2 block away, connects the hotel to the main train station (only about 15 minutes in normal traffic or about 10 minutes in light traffic), Bus No. 29, also 1/2 block away, takes you to Nollendorf Platz where KDW is located (Europe's largest department store with a food section not-to-be-missed!). For you late-nighters, several night buses will take you to Potsdamer Platz.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay in the heart of Berlin, just seven minutes' walk from Potsdamer Platz. Simply park your car in the large parking garage and all the renowned sights, such as the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag, are just a short walk away. Feel at home in our fully refurbished rooms with comfortable beds. The reception and bar are open 24/7. Enjoy warm and cold snacks from our ibis kitchen at any time of day. We at the ibis Berlin City Potsdamer Platz focus on sustainable development. Together with our guests, partners and employees, we meet many requirements that have a positive impact on your health, the environment and CO2 emissions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Accorhotels.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Ibis Berlin City Potsdamer Platz reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ibis Berlin Potsdamer Platz Hotel Berlin
- Accor Berlin Potsdamer Platz