“A slice of NorCal in Berlin”
Review of Redwood Bar

Redwood Bar
Ranked #37 of 620 Nightlife in Berlin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Redwood bar specializes in classic cocktails from the prohibition era and friendly welcoming service. We use fresh pressed citrus and homemade bitters in our classic and seasonal creations. With low music and no wifi we wish to create an environment where conversation is the best adornment to our drinks. If you don't know what kind of cocktail you like, have a chat with one of the bartenders. We love to help people find their favourite place on our menu matrix.
San Francisco
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A slice of NorCal in Berlin”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Ok, for many US expats reading this review, the last place they may want to go is a bar themed after the state of california. But there is a compelling reason you must visit this place.

Not because of the clean minimalist design of the space.

Not because of the ancient illuminated sign over the outside door that just says 'Bar'.

Not because of the huge slab of California Redwood trunk that forms the main bar. (* I don't know if this is reclaimed, but knowing the 'Inhaber' I suspect it is).

Not because of the classic drinks made by mixologists trained by an established bartender from the Bay Area.

Not because it offers Sierra Nevada and Anchor Steam beer instead of the usual German Pilsner/Lager (* This is the only bar in Berlin I know of to regularly carry these beers)

Not because of the big 'California' Flag hanging in the main window.

No, go because it's the only bar in Berlin which is non-smoking. To my Berliner's I love you, but sometimes I want to enjoy my Martini or IPA without tobacco combustion byproducts.

Visited September 2013