“good place in great location (but the main bed was disaster)”

Novotel Suites Berlin City Potsdamer Platz
Ranked #132 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersSilver level
“good place in great location (but the main bed was disaster)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

stayed three nights (two adults + two kids) for our long weekend trip to Berlin

on the bright side - the hotel perfectly located near Potsdamer Platz, near S-Bahn station and within 5 minutes to U-Bahn station, the staff quick and helpful, breakfast in "upper average", the garage at quite affordable EUR 14 per day, the room spacious and comfy

on the dark side - the main bed was disaster... we prefer hard mattresses and in most hotels they are way to soft for us, but this one was stonelike, they should add free back massage every morning.

suprisingly, the single bed mattresses were normal

if not for the bed, I would give "very good" rating to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 71asmo
Frank F, Verkaufsleiter at Novotel Suites Berlin City Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Frank Franke-Hempel/ Guest Relation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Having stayed at and been pleased with several other Novotel hotels I've stayed in previously. while booking this Suite Novotel I didn't think the experience would be too different.

First up, the good things. Reception staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was average but we had just come from another hotel which had the breakfast on our 1-month holiday so it was hard to compare.

Location of the hotel was also good, close enough to where we wanted to go and subway was close-by.

Now onto what led to my rating this hotel so poorly: the bed. Quite literally, the worst bed I have ever slept in. A good night's sleep is so crucial when travelling on holiday. Just 1 night on the bed in this hotel gave me back-spasms so painful I could barely walk or sit down and have breakfast the next morning.

Will not be staying here or any other Suite Novotel hotels again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blurbel
Frank F, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel Suites Berlin City Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you for taking the time to appraise our hotel on TripAdvisor.
I am very sorry to hear of your bad experience with our beds.
All beds of our Suite Novotel will be exchanged during the next time. But because this is still in process, not all off them are exchanged yet.
Hopefully we can convince you of this change at your next trip to Berlin.
Best regards, Frank Franke-Hempel / Guest Relation Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed for 3 nights at the Suite Novotel in Berlin in June 2014 for the Berlin Carnival.
The room we had was for 3 people and was very spacious. We arrived early in the morning and were told our room was already ready for us.
Separate WC from the Bathroom, which had a Bath and a Shower unit.
Fridge, Microwave and Sink in the area aswell, which was handy for storing cold drinks in. Bar area sells Microwave food for the rooms if needed, but you can also order in or goto the restaurant at the IBIS next door, or there is a great Italian restaurant on the corner of the hotel.
Room also included Network cables for connecting laptops to the Internet, aswell as an Internet TV which also featured Web Radio.
Location wise, it's 2 mins walk to the S-Bahn, and from there it's so easy top get around all of Berlin.
The Wall is 5 mins walk, Checkpoint Charlie is about 10mins walk, Brandenburg Gate is 15-20mins stroll.
When we return to Berlin next year for Carnival, this is definitely the hotel we will choose again.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room that faces the rear of the hotel which is very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Jan,
thank you for your great appraisal for our Suite Novotel.
I am very glad to hear, that we could convince you of our brand.
I am looking forward to meet you next year at the "Karneval der Kulturen" again.
Best regards, Frank Franke-Hempel / Guest Relation Manager
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I had stayed at another Suite Novotel location in Vienna and this one is pretty much identical so I already knew what to expect. The three of us stayed here for 6 nights.
Location is very good, just a few mins walk from Potsdamer Platz and about 15-20 mins leisurely stroll to Brandenburger Tor. Also very close to Checkpoint Charlie and Topography of Terror. Right next to the Anhalter S-Bahn station. Taxi fare to Tegel cost 22 Euros.
Very spacious suites, we booked one that came with a roll-out bed so it can technically accommodate 4 people. Bathroom came with both a bathtub and shower, the toilet is separate which we found more convenient although some people may disagree. Plenty of towels were provided, more than what we actually needed. Ample space to move around, the temp were quite cool when we visited so the air-con was not turned on most of the time. Windows can be opened but we had noisy neighbours some days and it was hard falling asleep unless earplugs were used or we closed the windows but of course, the room became very warm and stuffy.
A microwave, fridge, kettle, paper cups and tea and coffee were provided. We didn't partake in the breakfast as we found it to be very expensive (around 13 Euros per person?). Instead, we just brought some food the day before like bread, juice, etc and had it every morning in the room before leaving for the day. The hotel did provide free coffee/tea and a small snack every morning in the lobby. We also got a complimentary Evian water, chocolates and choice of drinks from the bar upon check-in (soft drinks, beer or wine). Free wifi also provided with a fairly strong signal, no complaints there.
There was a Vietnamese restaurant less than 10 mins walk from the hotel (I can't remember the name) on the way to Potsdamer Platz but they served cheap and tasty food, much better than the Italian restaurant next door to the hotel.
Except for the noisy neighbours (not the fault of the hotel but I gave 3 stars for sleep quality) and lack of air-con, it was overall a very pleasant stay. Berlin was awesome, 6 nights was not enough!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

This place is perfect for those who want an affordable place, and who want to prepare their dinner in the room.
The room itself complies with the Novotel Suite standard (nothing less, nothing more).
The location Is convenient for a visit of Berlin, even if the immediate neighborhood is not exceptional
The staff was very nice.
Their offer coffee to go, which was very appreciated.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank manywhere
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

When I arrived to the hotel my room wasn’t ready so I left my bags and toured around town. I checked in around 6pm and my room wasn’t very clean. There was a very small bathroom that looked like an airplane bathroom and smelled like urine. I asked the front desk if they could clean the bathroom- perhaps with bleach- but he said the cleaning staff had left for the day and he would note it for the next day. I went to dinner with my friends and when I returned I went to get into bed for the night and when I pulled back the sheets I noticed that the bed was completely filthy! There were long hairs and dirt on the sheets- it was obvious that they hadn’t been washed or changed since the last guests. I was completely disgusted. I went downstairs and the man at the front desk did say he would bring up new sheets. He came up and changed them and even said himself that it was disgusting. The bed mattress was paper thin- and when he pulled back the sheets even that was disgusting. The next morning I told the front desk that I was going out and asked if my room could be cleaned because it was dirty and the carpet was filthy. They said yes but when I returned at 2pm it had not been cleaned. I asked about a refund for my additional days if I moved into a new hotel and they told me it was not possible, so I was stuck in this filthy hotel room. I had originally had other hotels booked on booking.com and cancelled the day before to choose this hotel- bad choice! The thing that matters most to me in a hotel room is cleanliness and this hotel was an epic fail in that department. I can’t believe it is over a 1 star with dirty sheets. I would recommend finding another in the area- as there are several- and choose on that is clean.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

3 Thank Michelle S
Frank F, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel Suites Berlin City Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Michelle,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your negative impressions. I am personally very sorry about that. But please assure that this is not standard, because especially the cleanness is very important for us. Regarding this occurrence, we have already spoken to our cleaning staff to avoid such an incident in the future. Best regards, Frank Franke- Hempel / Guest Relation Manager