“little break”

Zarenhof Berlin Mitte
Ranked #320 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The hotel was a little odd, once through the small reception we walked down an ally between two very tall buildings to an elevator, up to the 4th floor. Our room was quite small(but the biggest in the hotel) it had everything it said in the brochure, it was adequate for our needs. Breakfast was very nice , well laid out

Room Tip: Don't expect to much
Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Too many things went wrong during the two days I stayed at this hotel. First, the economy room was tiny, with almost no deskspace and with very small beds. So if you really have to stay at this hotel, consider one of the more expensive options. Second, the room was on the ground level, with windows opening to the inner yard, so they had to be kept closed and shaded. For the second night I moved to a more exensive room on the 2nd floor, but because of the well-like nature of the inner yard (the opposite window just a couple of meters away), still had to keep windows closed and curtains drawn. Third, on the day of the arrival, the receptionist promised that I would be upgraded on the next day for free, if a room was available, but on the next day, a different receptionist had a different view on the matter. The service was rather impolite, esp. the second receptionist – taking a long call in the middle of a conversation with me, etc. In short, it was the worst hotel experience in many months (and I travel a lot).

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel. If you can't, take a "superior" or “lux” (?) room facing the street...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Aaadaaam
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband, teenager and I just returned from our Eastern European trip and stayed at the Zarenhof during a heat wave. We were in "Apt. 3" room type which didn't look like the pictures associated with this room type. The pictures make the room look quite large but it was fairly standard. The bathroom was clean, very tiny and the shower was small and somewhat difficult to get in and out of. There was no AC in the room, which was on the top floor and very hot. The hotel didn't have any fans (we asked twice and were told we would be brought one) or they could not find any. The portion of the hotel we were in didn't look luxurious with gold trim, but looked dark and needed some upgrades (we looked out on the interior courtyard). The location is great and the Prenzlauerberg neighborhood has great restaurants and cafes. The breakfast buffet was the best of our trip, and the people who run the hotel are very nice.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I promised myself to write a review for this hotel after I have been to Berlin. Even though it took me a couple of month, here it is.
I had such a pleasant experience at the Zarenhof. I booked the hotel online way in advance and got a great deal. Only after staying there I realised what a lucky pick this was. Not only have I received great value for money but also picked a hotel with a great location. The area of Prenzlauer Berg developed into one of the most trendiest neighbourhoods in Berlin. There was Kastanienallee with lots of individual shops just around the corner, as well as the flea market at the Mauerpark. The hotel is only two stops away from Alexanderplatz on the underground (Eberswalder Strasse) and therefore perfectly located.
We arrived relatively late at night from London and there was nobody at the reception desk. There was a first shock but after a couple of minutes we were greeted by the friendly receptionist.
The room itself was small but clean and tidy. The bathroom was very light and modern. It fitted our needs and we felt very comfortable. As our room rate included buffet breakfast we made sure to enjoy it every day. It was fantastic. It was a mixture of German and Russian breakfast options. There was a wide variety to choose from. The hotel even hired a harp player for the guests to enjoy their calm morning hours even more. The staff was friendly and forthcoming.
If I would go to Berlin again, this would be my first choice to stay. Thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TobWeb
Reviewed 9 July 2013

This hotel is located in a very nice residential neighbourhood of Berlin with tree-lined streets. My room was unfortunately dark, because it looked out onto an interior courtyard but was otherwise comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks out onto the street. The ´interior´ rooms are too dark.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This hotel was very clean and in an excellent location - walking distance to the Museum Insel and very close to all the restaurants on Oranienburgerstrasse. Be warned, the single beds are tiny. Reception staff are friendly - note that reception is only open from 7 am - midnight. I found my room on the ground floor noisy, so I would recommend wearing ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Even I stayed at Zarenhof for business, because the visited company is closed by, I may recommend it especially for travelers bound to explore Berlin Mitte and Prenzlauer Berg. Everything can be made by feet.
The hotel deploys the charm of pre-soviet russia. It comes across a little bit naive and amateur-like, but quite authentic and therefore intrigue. It is very different, which separates it from the usual big players. This and the nice people made my stays unforgettable. I shall return if I am in central town again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business