“Don't waste your time”
Review of Watergate

Ranked #84 of 647 Nightlife in Berlin
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I decided to try Watergate on Friday 23 may. I will start by saying I'm in my early 30s my boyfriend in his late 30s.

We weren't drunk, smartly dressed. We queued for over 1 hour by this point my feet were in agony after walking about all day!

We got to the front of the line where we were confronted by female door staff. She looked me up & down asked me did I know who was playing that evening?
I replied no. She then said not tonight!!
Seriously! Yeah I didn't know but my boyfriend did. Ive never heard such nonsense in my life!!
But a group of extremely drunk rowdy lads behind us got in!!

This put a complete downer on our evening.
We decided to go to Tresor the following night. Woohoo what a club - so don't waste ur time on Watergate is my advice!!!!

9  Thank whistle4ahottie
in 31 reviews
in 14 reviews
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I headed there last Saturday night with some friends who were also visiting the city. We'd been advised that this was a good nightspot for some techno (which is not my sort of thing but I was happy to go with the majority and try something new for a change)

We queued for an hour from roughly 1am to 2am. The sign of a popular club is often a long queue, so we didn't mind. Well, we didn't mind until we got to the front of the queue and were asked by the stoney-faced lady on the door if we knew who was playing (or DJ-ing perhaps?) that night. We didn't, as we'd gone there to experience the famous club itself rather than specifically who was performing.

The stoney-faced lady on the door responded with something like "Then you can't come in!" and point-blank refused us entry.

This didn't just happen to ourselves but to a lot of the people in the queue around us. Even when I passed by a couple of hours later having spent the evening somewhere far friendlier I met others who had just experienced the same refusal.

It really seemed to not be based on nationality, clothing or level of soberness but just some sort of semi-fascist elitism.

Don't waste your time heading to this place, Berlin is a massive city with far friendlier nightspots.

6  Thank Spartan666
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Not the best club in Berlin but still good. Only worth the high cover charge on a night when it's busy and upstairs is open...the sound system up there is great but the one downstairs not so much.

1  Thank deeppolitics
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Super sound and light system, great music and people! This club well located and has great view from chillout zone (on the river).

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We went to Watergate on a Wednesday night, arriving around 2:30am and paid 8 euros to get in (obviously it's more at weekends) which wasn't too bad given that the dismal club in the English seaside town that we live in charges about the same!

Watergate was thankfully much better - the huge glass floor to ceiling windows look out on to the river which runs directly next to the club so you can watch the sun rise as you dance on until the morning and there's a pontoon/deck area out on the river which is a beautiful place to relax for a bit and rest your feet. I've also never come across a club which such clean toilets, even as the night went on!

Can't comment on the drinks prices as we didn't buy any but tap water was free! There was a great atmosphere and a really diverse mix of people and we met some interesting and amusing characters. We had a really fun night and left at around 8am though I think it's open until about midday.

Regarding getting in - yes, their door staff seem pretty snobby and they are selective - I can completely see why this upsets a lot of people. They seemed to be turning away anyone under 21, anyone in a group of more than 2, anyone speaking loudly in the line (especially not in German!) and anyone who was dressed up - shirts, little dresses and high heels are not the order of the day here!

Anyway, I really recommend going if you like clubbing and techno!

1  Thank T388