“Lovely Attention to Detail”
Review of Ackselhaus

Ackselhaus
Ranked #53 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Paisley, United Kingdom
“Lovely Attention to Detail”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Fabulous 25th anniversary trip, room was spotless, hotel was filled with tiny details and quaint items. Bottle of Cava was waiting chilled in our room when we arrived from the staff.

Service at breakfast was lovely with attentive waitress. Nothing was too much trouble and the little conservatory area prefect for a drink when the weather was less than perfect.

The area nearby had lots to do from nice bars, beer gardens to flea market. I would love to travel there again and would stay at the same hotel for sure. Many thanks to the team there.
Linda

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Stockholm
Reviewed 29 April 2013

What an oasis in Berlin, nutrition for the soul! And probably the best service personel I have ever met. The rooms where well cleaned and the beds great to sleep in. I'm not exaggerating. The only thing missing that I can think about is a safety box in the room, but that is handled by the reception.

Room Tip: We had the rooms on the ground floor in the back garden (Blue home). Yet quiet and discrete.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We stayed at the Blue Home wish is the building next door to the Ackselhaus but it’s the same hotel.
The atmosphere is fantastic, the location is great and the breakfast is very nice!
Not far away from the hotel you have a road with different cafes, restaurants and bars.
This must be the nicest area in Berlin!
We hade a studio with one room and it was perfectly enough for 2 nights. They also have different suites wish I think we will try next time…
The only negative thing is that they only take maestro card and cash.
Anyway, I promise you, you will not be disappointed if you choose this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Bussum, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 November 2012

If you are not on a busy down town schedule this is the place to be. In prenzlauerberg with all the nice restaurants and cafe's nearby you have this charming hotel. Most of the rooms have a theme and, we have been in two this year, are very nice. A proper german breakfast is possible. The building and garden have lots of charm. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Tranquil and recharging.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dickvanmastrigt
London
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Read the reviews and things looked promising. What a mistake we made in going here. Leaky ceilings,terrible service,unfriendly personnel...I actually dreaded going back to the cold dark room every night. The only plus would be good location and good breakfasts...but alot of hotels have that.Maybe if we had a room in the front of the building,but that faces a school.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ruth P
jerusalem
Reviewed 19 October 2012

It's some time since my parents stayed at the Ackselhaus, but i must say neither the disappointment nor the insult have much subsided since. I've booked the hotel for them as we live very near-by and i've seen the hotel many times and it always looked very-very appetizing. My parents are elderly, my father walks very badly, and they came to Berlin for two weeks, so they needed some place that's more than a hotel -- i.e. kitchenette and "living space" in addition to bedroom and also wanted to stay as close as possible to us. I made an appointment and came to see the room they'd be offered in advance, just to make sure it'll meet their (admittedly, and unashamedly, very) high standards. It seemed lovely, although very small/compact, so i went ahead and booked. For two full weeks!
When i booked i asked whether there's a similar room with balcony and as there was one, i asked to book that, being assured it is the same "type" (that'll become critical subsequently).
My parents came and were very disappointed. i couldn't come over the first night but thought it was odd. My mother's descriptions also didn't seem to cohere with what i've seen and thought i booked. The next morning I came and was... well, appalled. It was NOT the room/studio i was shown -- not by a long shot. And it seemed also poorly maintained, with peeling wallpaper, etc. To my mother's complaints, and then mine, there was first a really angry response, then a bit more helpful, but still resentful. Finally, they could only move to the same kind of room, right above the one they received, but better maintained. it was an improvement, but not enough -- the kitchenette is not really useful. The living space is not really a space, the sofa is not really usable, everything is cramped and small and somehow inconvenient.
Finally, my parents got really desperate and as they were offered nothing that was viable (as distinguished from a seemingly lovely flat, third floor with no elevator -- after seeing my father... .that was a bit shocking, i must say. the very cheek of the offer!) they decided to leave three nights in advance and go out of Berlin. We announced this to hotel staff three days in advance[!!!] and they were not only surprised[?!] but appalled. just totally annoyed. they also clarified to my mother that they will be required to pay for the entire pre-booked period regardless of early notice, not to mention their evident, on-going and well-known dissatisfaction/unhappiness with/in hotel. There followed several talks, very bitter, very vindictive, with several very unhelpful staff members at the end of which we asked to talk to manager/owner and told they were not there, nor could be gotten hold of -- although it seemed pretty clear they were there, even present some of the time... Finally, we were told charge for three last nights would be waived if -- and only if -- the rooms would be "sold" to other guests. We were terribly, desperately angry and we said so, we also said how very disappointing the whole experience was, and finally, i wrote to complain to the site through which i booked the hotel. Ten days after my parents' departure, we received a courteous mail from the hotel with not one word of acknowledgement, let alone apology -- only to say the room was after all "sold" so charge was waived. That's it.
Other than this story, we found hotel to be very-very mediocre. somehow all posh and glitz, no substance: most of the day -- my father was there on/off most of the day, most days -- it felt rather deserted, staff was extremely impersonal and unhelpful, room/studio was extremely small and airless. A/C is nothing of the kind -- but rather some movable device which felt more like a ventilator, and maintenance is at best reasonable.
As my father did need the elevator to get to their second floor studio, we were also appalled to find it was used rather too frequently by cleaners and maintenance and so was unavailable far too frequently for guests use.
So finally, there remains the location, which really is excellent if you want Prenzlauerberg and nothing else (as my parents did). But that's SO not enough!! and there is so much, and so much of better value in area.

Room Tip: if you are taking the lower-tier rooms/studios, make sure you're given the one's to the side...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank nsusn
Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I ended 10 days in Germany with two nights in Ackselhaus. I had spent another 5 nights in former West Berlin, and two nights in Dresden, and wanted some contrast so I chose to stay in Prenzlauer Berg to experience a different neighborhood. For location, it's excellent. There are more incredible restaurants so nearby that I'd need to stay a month to try them all. And it was so easy to get to Museum Island and other sights in that part of the city.

My room was on the 5th floor, so that required the elevator to the 4th floor, then walking up a flight of stairs with luggage to the room. I had the golf-themed room, which was more masculine than my tastes but it was tastefully decorated. I wish now I had requested a particular room as they were portrayed on the website. The room was spacious, the bed was large and the bathroom good sized. Everything was very clean. The room had hardwood floors, so it made it a bit creaky. I also heard a good deal of comings and goings from other guests, as the outdoors doors and floors are creaky too. I loved having sofas and a table to use though. Free wifi was great as well.

There was some street noise as there was a pub or something nearby that lent itself to rowdy passersby, so closed the window both nights to sleep.

I am not a fan of having to go outside and down the street for breakfast, that was just a minor inconvenience. The offerings were excellent though and the staff was very friendly.

There seems to be some confusion about whether credit cards are accepted or not both here on TA and at the hotel itself. I initially declined the reservation when told it was cash-only, but the manager reversed that decision via email to me, so I accepted. On check-out, the desk staff needed to be told that the manager said credit card was ok, and after some difficulty, the credit card charge was processed (not Visa though, only MC). I would suggest ironing out that policy one way or the other.

Ultimately, I'm not sure whether this was good value for the price for me. While I loved the location and the restaurants nearby, I stayed in two other hotels with lower rates and better over value that same week.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo