“Prenzlauer Perfect”

Ranked #64 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Melbourne
“Prenzlauer Perfect”
Reviewed 16 September 2008

I found this little gem (Blue Home) in the Lonely Planet guide and I must say I was not dissapointed. I booked via a phone call from Australia and the staff were extremely friendly. Made my booking not knowing what to expect when i arrived for my first visit to Berlin. When I arrived it was afternoon and I was tired from over 35+ hours of travelling on planes,trains & taxi's. The staff recommended a short walk of the area. Nothing was a problem for the relaxed and friendly staff, it felt like you were part of their home. Prenzlauerberg was a really lovely place and the Blue Home was such a cool place to come back to at the end of a long day sightseeing Berlin. Close to some great cafe/resturant streets, Great litle pub downstairs for that late afternoon beer. It was wonderful to walk around the quite streets in the twighlight. Beautifully furnished apartment and great value for money, I would recommend the Blue home to any business or holiday traveller. Close to the U-Bahn, and easy to find, great if you just want to chill fo a few days. I'll be certainly coming back to Berlin, Prenzlauer & Ackselhaus/Blue Home.

• Liked — Location, room outlook and furnishings,great value
  • Disliked — I didn't have longer time to stay!!!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Spoorty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2008

I stayed in the hotel's Blue Home, with my 2 teenage daughters, and we really loved its relaxed, comfortable feel. We had a mini-apartment with a fully-functioning contemporary small kitchen (the eating out is so good in Berlin though that we didn't make the best use of it!) The breakfast is fabulous, and hearty enough to get you through till teatime, the rooms were comfy and spacious, (I slept on an extremely comfortable sofa-bed, and the girls had the stylish bedroom) we had a balcony and the garden is gorgeous. The hotel kindly and efficiently organised bikes for us to explore the (cyclist-friendly! woo hoo!) city (if only to let us confirm that PrenzlauerBerg is absolutely the most appealing corner of this amazing chilled-out friendly city - the hotel is excellently located in the heart of it in a lovely quiet tree-lined street, near everything, buzzy but relaxed, too.) The reception staff were amazingly helpful and friendly, and we were all very impressed all round. Highly recommended. (Even in the rain we loved the place, can't wait to return in the sunshine!). The only drawback was the rather tedious and ubiquitous muzak, which was a bit irritating. (Hotel, a small NB- we don't all love Celine Dion! Peace and quiet is infinitely preferable and it would have been nice to have this option) But I would definitely go back there, despite this quibble.

• Liked — The comfortable accommodation stylish garden and friendly staff
  • Disliked — The all-pervasive muzak!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank foodissima
Philadelphia
Reviewed 15 July 2008

My husband and I stayed for two nights, we were delighted to be in the Honeymoon Suite. It is a fifth floor walk-up (no problem since we live on the fourth floor at home), but might be a challenge for those with a ton of luggage. The room consisted of a beautiful sitting room with a huge window, a comfy bedroom with more windows, and a large kitchen. Although we didn't get to cook, we did make use of the electric kettle. It was very relaxing and on a rainy day, hard to leave. There are several gardens and courtyards to extend the cozy feeling. The staff was very courteous, but the breakfast, while good, was a bit expensive at 15 Euros each, there are plenty of other options in this amazing neighborhood. I will definitely return and recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Pacific Palisades, California
Reviewed 21 January 2008

A gem in one of the hippest neighborhoods in Berlin. We had a full apartment, stylishly decorated, meticulously maintained, in this lovely tree-lined street. The breakfast buffet is excellent. Free internet is a real plus as well. The staff is warm, friendly and helpful. I'd stay here any time.

• Liked — stylish accomodation, great neighborhood
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled solo
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 17 December 2007

The Ackselhaus and the connected Blue Home are an excellent choice in the Prenzlauer Berg district of Berlin. More an apartment house than a hotel, this property is great for extended stays. I stayed only for one night, unfortunately, in a top-floor deluxe studio of the Blue Home. The studio was rather large, nice furniture, and a great view of the TV tower. The only minuses were the pretty small bathroom and the very squeaky bedframe (which could deprive couples of their sleep). The breakfast in the morning was very tasty with a good variety of rolls, bread, cold cuts, cheese, cereal, fresh fruit, and boiled eggs, served by a cheerful young Australian lady.
The Ackselhaus is a great base for exploring the East side of Berlin, providing a homey atmosphere and not an anonymous hotel experience that you would find elsewhere.

• Liked — The central yet quiet location and the non-hotel atmosphere
  • Disliked — small bathroom, squeaky bed
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
Manchester
Reviewed 19 August 2007

Me and my partner stayed here in June 2007 for a week and we loved it. We stayed in of the apartments in the main hotel (Ackelhaus) and it was very spacious and very nicely decorated. The neighborhood around is very pretty and it's also quiet, no street noise.

We found the staff to be very friendly and although we chose not to pay for breakfast, there is a small supermarket just on the corner called 'Netto' and we bought breakfast for the whole week. Food in Berlin is so cheap.

The location is excellent. It is very close to the city centre and all the sights. There is a tram stop 1 min walk from the hotel that takes you straight to Alexanderplatz and takes about 5 mins. From there you can take any metro to go to different parts of Berlin. Also there is a metro stop near the hotel that takes about 10 mins walk. The location makes it very convenient for transport.

The neighborhood of Prenzlauer Berg in East Berlin is so nice! There are many nice cafes, restaurants etc and it's not touristy either. The architecture was very pretty and interesting, we found it nicer than other parts of Berlin. I would highly recommend staying in East Berlin as your base when you visit, the west is more commercialised and the buildings look like any other European city.

If I go back to Berlin I will definitely stay in this area again and in this hotel.

• Liked — Rooms, location, neighborhood
  • Disliked — I liked everything! no negative comment
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nitina
NYC
Reviewed 1 July 2007

I stayed in the Blue Home, in a wonderful room overlooking the street. I loved the room, I loved the hotel, I loved the neighborhood. It's close to everything you need in P'berg, including tram and trains.... and tucked away on a side street away from the bustle. Breakfast downstairs every morning was simple and perfect, and the decor of the hotel makes it unique and special. I will stay here again when next in Berlin. I've also stayed at the Hotel Hackescher Markt in Mitte but I prefer this charming hotel and neighborhood much more.

• Liked — the charm, the privacy
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled solo