“Great Value”
Review of Eden am Zoo

Eden am Zoo
Ranked #548 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Very nice if you are on a budget, friendly staff, clean rooms, nice breakfast. they even left chocolate Easter bunny's on our bed when we stayed during Easter Week!! I would recommend this to family's with young children.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Neevyg893

Reviewed 21 December 2013

I stayed here for about 10 days on a trip with my fellow students, and man, was this hotel a let down! The only positive thing I have to say about it is that it's location is quite good, and the prices are alright. Everything feels old and flimsy. The window in our room (room 7) was cracked, and fixed with transculent tape. Our closet door fell off for no apparent reason. The bathroom smelled like sewage. The shower had hot water, but it was extremely hard to control HOW hot it was. The plumbing in the building is really old, and all the water tastes horrible. Even for brushing your teeth! Luckily they have a water cooler set up by the reception, so you can grab a cup there for brushing.

The staff was nosy and irritable. More often than not they'd poke their head into the room at odd hours (around 1700-1900) for some obscure reason. At one point they threw us out of the room to clean it, at 1800 in the evening! I know it's not a luxury hotel, but as far as I know, hotels are supposed to be done with cleaning by 1400 at the very, very latest! I was feeling ill one day and went back to the hotel around 1430. They were about to clean my room, but I asked them if I could just go inside and sleep, since I was feeling like crap. NOPE, wait in the hall for 15 minutes!

Breakfast was alright. It was food. Coffee was horrible.

Stay here if you just need a place to sleep for a day or two, no longer.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Not expecting to find ourselves in a luxury hotel with the price (100 euros/night,family room) have to say, that the room was very basic and outdated..I guess we are mostly paying about the fantastic location of this Pensionat - it is literally a stone throw away from all the action in K´damm street. I don´t mind the old feeling and look,but in here it looked like a good scrub in the room might be in order. .

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2013

The building to begin with is old, dilapidated and has no elevator! My room was small and dirty, old furniture, walls full of stains and when I tried to close the door, there was still a gap of at least 1 inch, so all the sounds and light of the corridor came through. The TV was the smallest I have ever seen in my 35 years of hotel experience.
When the people in the rooms next to mine took a shower, it sounded as if all hell broke loose - the walls are paperthin obviously!
The toilet was down the corridor and had to be opened with a key, although there was no indicator whether it was occupied or not - weird! - and the central heating is also located in this room, causing the temperature to rise to at least 35C!!!
The people at the reception were sometimes simply not there and you had to look through the whole building to find out where they were - although thex explicitly stated that until 23:00hrs there would always be someone in.
The breakfastroom was simply too small: one morning I could not find a table/seat because all were occupied - management then forced me to sit at a table with other guests (they were NOT anmused either!!!).
Maybe the only positive aspect of this nightmare hotel is its location - close to the S1 station.
Even 1 star is way too much for this horrible place.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Dutchman1955
Reviewed 16 April 2013 via mobile

The room was clean, the shower had massive water pressure, the food was tastey and local.
The radiant heat worked well for drying cloths for sink washed clothing.

The beds were from ikeA, and the mattresses were extremely comfortable. We slept well. The tv was tiny.
My only suggestions for management would be to add wifi. It would be useful.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

I booked this hotel through a well known booking site, where it is offered as 3 star hotel. OMG! it is not even a hotel, there are a few rooms in a lousy very old and not looked after apartment building, that has probably seen it's last refurbishment after WW2... Nothing was stated that those rooms are on the 2nd floor of that building, no elevator, so you have to heave to drag up your luggage to find yourself infront of a door - if you can call it so. The "reception" (24 hours wow!!) is a tiny chamber, maybe worthwile to be seen! The room (at least the one they had reserved for me) is almost acceptable, although very, very simple with old furniture, the walls are full with stains. The tiny bathroom is maybe the most inviting place of all. Whoever gave that place 3 stars...must be blind! I am in travel business since 35 years. The price: incredible for such a bad place, ok it's the trade fair, but 140€ for 1 night in such a place, wow!
I was out as fast as I could and have to struggle now to get my refund!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Stayed here for a Euro backpack in November 2012.
Location: Excellent. Is 2 minutes away the metro. Stop: Uhlandstr, it is however the last stop/ at the end of U1 line (Green line). But still, as I've mentioned in my other reviews, it is convenient having a metro stop close to your accommodation. Personally, I think the area is posh. The shops/ boutiques around were top brands. The presence of McDonalds and Starbucks made me feel human though.
Room: I booked for a single room. If my room was indeed single, let me say it was huge for a single. I had a double size bed, soft and comfy. Decent sized wardrobe. TV with BBC...in English, thank goodness for that! Heating=check. The room itself was a bit worn off, few marks on the wall. And the toilet, which is one of the most important bit for me when looking for a place to stay, was creepy! I The bowl was old-style, weird. Towels provided as well as shampoo/conditioner and hair blower. Hot water=check. But as soon as i turned on the shower there was a creepy noise, I think it was the boiler. It was just all in all a not-so-pleasant shower. But don't be put off, it's just my paranoia.
Hotel and Staff: I've been referring to the place as a hotel when indeed it was a bed and breakfast more like. Hm..well, it has a reception room, but nobody (staff) stays in overnight. I was given key for the front door and my room. It was located in a pretty tired building. There was sign outside that says HOTEL. There was a water machine. Breakfast was served at 8am which included tasty bread (smelled and tasted as if it was past the date), buns, ham, tomatoes, cucumber, cheese slices, hard boiled eggs, spreads, yohgurts, cereals, milk, tea, coffee, juice. There was a balcony from the breakfast room if guests want to have a fag. The lady who sorts out breakfast doesn't speak English, the receptionist yes, but just a little. They were all approachable.
In a nut shell, my stay was just fine. Nothing intolerable, nothing extraordinary. And yes, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo