Quentin Design hotel
US$144
US$108
US$100
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgay districteconomy roompower pointsthe ground floorplug socketseuros per nightcleaned every dayfresh towelsshort staylovely hotelmodern designmins walk awaymini barthe air conditioningcomfy bedquiet locationaround the corner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 September 2012

The service was good and the room was very good, and I slept very well in the bed. It was very near shops and the U-bahn to visit the Innotransmesse. I liked best the room, but I did'nt like when the cleaningstaff open the door early in the morning while we still was in bed, and allso one time when we had hang the sign "No" on the door. And it was difficult to change temperatur in the room.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Interesting to read the significant mix of reviews about this hotel. I have stayed here twice now and would consider it good value for money, as the saying goes "you get what you pay for", in this respect I think you get more than you pay for in terms of value.

The location is good near the main shopping area in West Berlin, although it should be noted this hotel is in the heart of gay district of Berlin, with many gay bars and shops in the vicinity. This should not be seen as a problem especially in such a liberal city as Berlin, but something to be aware of, and for many an advantage.

Design in this instance means minimal feel, dark contemporary furniture and lots of soft furnishings in the rooms to add to the overall design. I liked it. Each time I've visited the hotel it has a quiet calm air about it, with very few people around. Worth noting there is a small pleasant outside deck at the rear of the hotel which can be nice to relax in on a warm afternoon.

Yes the economy rooms are small, but for a single person perfectly adequate and nicely furnished especially as they are around 50 Euros a night much of the time. If there are two of you and/or room size is an issue, then you should upgrade to a larger room which are still very reasonably priced.

Agree re the wi-fi, it did not work in my room on an upper floor however the hotel do provide cables to allow you to connect a laptop to the network which works well, just need to ask. Not much use if using a tablet or smartphone though.

Never tried the breakfast so can't comment but plenty of restaurants nearby (I'd recommend Cafe Berio) and it would seem I was lucky never to have been allocated a room on the lower ground floor, but again never saw these so cannot comment. Very early flight on day of departure, alarm call and taxi organised by friendly receptionist all worked well.

I would definitely stay here again. The location and value are excellent and I personally liked the contemporary design of the hotel, rooms and bathrooms generally, albeit the cream coloured carpet was not especially practical!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 August 2012

This hotel has some good and bad points. The website shows photos of full bathrooms, but I ended up in a very small room (basically no floorspace besides the bed) with a tiny shower (no bathtub) with a tendency to leak onto the floor. True, I'd booked an 'economy' room, but I would have appreciated knwoing just how tiny it would be - it didn't have all the advertised features either. The location was excellent for my purposes being very close to all the action on a party weekend in Berlin (we stayed over Easter and this hotel is in the middle of the gay area) and the staff were very nice, but the advertised wi fi is -not- available "throughout the building", only in the lobby. There is actually an ethernet port in the room that works, but I didn't find it until a couple of days in (they might have told me!).
All up - it's not a bad hotel, but fell just a little short of expectations.

Room Tip: I gather the economy rooms are half the size of the regular ones - make sure you know what you're getting.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank veedubmelb
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We were very impressed with the hotel's aesthetics and design. The bed was very comfortable and the air-con worked! The room was very small but we were there to sightsee not to relax in a hotel room.
The bathroom was nice and modern/clean but the shower screen did not seal properly, which meant the bathroom floor got really wet each time one of us showered.
I don't normally ask for daily towel changes in hotels but we had to because we were always mopping up the water with the towels!! They were sopping wet so they would not have dried anyway; and there was a lack of towel rails to hang them up on. Hopefully the hotel will take heed and fix the issue so that they can save themselves and the environment from washing so many towels. However, that's a minor issue in comparison to some other places we have stayed in!

I think the carpets could have done with a more thorough vacuuming!

We really liked the hotel and thought the location was great, in that we got to see how Berliners lived locally in a nice neighbourhood. It's definitely a gay-friendly district with some interesting shops around (!!)
We found some excellent places to eat and enjoyed not being in the centre of the tourist areas. Easy access to the U-bahn station and plenty of shops around to find snacks, coffee, dinner etc.

Dinner recommendations:

1. Zsa Zsa Burgers over the road from the hotel on the corner... AMAZING!! We had dinner there two nights in a row!

2. Papaya, a restaurant serving delicious Thai and Vietnamese food:
Winterfeldtstr. 41, 10781 Schöneberg, Berlin - within walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Stephanie R
Reviewed 10 July 2012

OK, so saying you have free wifi, and never providing the same over a five day visit, may not be the greatest crime in the world, but when your choice of hotels boils down to which offers free wifi, then you have a right to complain. Except at the QD whose staff sighs and explains they're working on it.

If you happen to book one of the rooms on the street side, then the extra space may make up for the loss of wifi. If, on the other hand, you are as unlucky as I am, you get garden side and barely enough room to turn around in, do diet before going. As for the room, I am still not sure what Design means. The molding at the floor didn't meet; the stains on the carpet were disgusting, or perhaps that was a 'Design'; the tiny stool under the tiny chest, cute but useless. I had to beg for more than one bath towel. The shower was minimal in size. The toilet was so close to the heater, I hate to think how bad one's burns would be in the winter.
The bed was comfortable, however.

The free breakfast is a joke, the worst bread I've had in one of these awful 'buffet' setups. But, take heart, Cafe Berio is just 5 minutes walk away!

The hotel excels in location. And that is the only thing it excels in.

Room Tip: If you want room to move around, then opt for the larger and more expensive street side rooms; my garden side was quiet but terribly small.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo