“Great Stay”

Sofitel Berlin Kurfuerstendamm
Ranked #30 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We spent 3 nights at the Sofitel Berlin Kurfuerstendamm in mid-August. Berlin was our first stop on our European road trip and this property was a great place to start. The bed was comfortable, the room was well appointed, and larger than I expected. We paid the little bit extra for a Club level room, which guarantees a high floor (we were on 10) and gives you all day access to the club. The additional cost was less than we would have paid had we gone out for Breakfast or ordered the room service, and the ability to go up for a complimentary glass of wine in the evenings made it well worth it. The higher floor was very quiet, and we had a nice view of the city. There's also nice views from the club.

I have stayed at numerous other Sofitels in the US, so I sort of knew what to expect. The staff was great; very accommodating and friendly--and all spoke English. We had requested an iron as there is not one in the room (fairly standard for European hotels), and they brought one right up for us.

Parking was a tad expensive, though you can expect that in any major city. I actually think we were charged a few euros a day more when we paid for parking at chekout than I was quoted via email a couple months back when we made the reservation, but that's no big deal; you should expect expensive parking in any major city in the world.

The hotel is close to a lot of local shopping, and there's a department store across the street with a grocery and fresh food in the basement if you need to pick up some food. We picked up sandwiches and fruit for a picnic, as well as large bottles of water. There's several U stations within walking distance, including Zoologischer Garten where you can catch multiple U and S lines.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the club floor rooms. Well worth the nominal extra charge for the benefits of a hig...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Sofitel_Berlin_KD, General Manager at Sofitel Berlin Kurfuerstendamm, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2014

Bonjour, webdes03,

Thank you so much for your kind words and especially your compliments to the staff.
I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us that much and looking forward to
welcome you back to the Sofitel Berlin Kurfürstendamm very soon.

Best wishes & take care

Carsten Colmorgen

Write a ReviewReviews (2,919)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed three nights in this hotel, and boy are the rooms in this hotel HUGE! I mean i haven't stayed in any hotel room in Europe that were the size of these rooms. We really appreciated the space. The decoration of the rooms is very modern and it's very easy to figure out how things work, really nice. The toilets have a separate bath tub, shower and wc areas. If i had anything negative about the rooms it's the shower heads! Please for God's sake change them! I mean the hotel screams five star in every part of it, i honestly don't know why they have these old shower heads there. I know the manager is going to read this review, so a word of advise to you sir/mme, take action immediately and change them, travelers appreciate a nice shower after a long day out in the city.

The breakfast, which was not included in the price, is magnificent! The room is large and can accommodate a lot of people, the quality and quantity of food is amazing. Worth the money definitely. The concierge was very helpful, there is a metro stop right next to the hotel. Word of advise to all new travellers to Germany, the metro system they have is a bit complex. They have nine underground lines (U-bahn) and 9 upper ground lines (S-bahn). Make sure you get a map and understand exactly where you are going before you venture there.

The area of the hotel is very vibrant. There is a delicious restaurant called vapiano, a must try, located in the same building, there are many shops and malls along the street. The zoo is literally 10min walk from the hotel. You can access anywhere in Berlin using the metro system. This is a very quaint and modern city with lots to do so make sure you give it enough time, i would say five days.

I checked the spa area, looked very nice but didn't use it for lack of time. All in all, for the price, location, room space and comfort, will definitely come back to this hotel and recommend it to anyone out there, just change the shower heads ;).

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be of high quality
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank wildmandxb

Bonjour, wildmanxb,

Thanks so much for your great review - it is a pleasure to read how much you liked
the hotel and the style.
I also have taken good note of your comment about the shower head and will
let my colleagues from technical department know about it.

We are looking forward to welcome you back here in Berlin!

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Great location near the Ku'damm and an Ubahn station, wonderful building, great service at the lobby and elsewhere. The room was large, modern and well equipped. Breakfast offered a rich buffet with everything imaginable. As one other TA reviewer remarked- the communal areas are a bit bland and lack the essence of luxury/soul/groove. Maybe thats a work in progress.
Would definitely come back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Bonjour, WeissmanO,

Thank you very much for your feedback - I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your trip
to Berlin. For more information about the area please see the concierge - he will provide
Insider Tips :-)

Looking forward to welcome you back!

Reviewed 23 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Sofitel_Berlin_KD, General Manager at Sofitel Berlin Kurfuerstendamm, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2014

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel belonged to another chain and was recently acquired by Sofitel. It is still a very nice hotel. You can see that Sofitel is putting their stamp on the hotel. While we were there, we witnessed some of the changes. Our beds and bed linens were changed during our stay. The toiletries were also changed to Hermès.
The staff recognized you every time you walked into the hotel. It was nice to not feel faceless and invisible.
I did not eat or drink in the hotel during my stay so I can't comment on that the bathroom was very nice. I liked the design much I took pictures for ideas for my own bathroom remodel.
The beds were comfortable. I will say that if you are rooming with someone you are not involved with, they will separate the beds. Note that even though the beds are separated, they are less that 12 inches apart. That may be too close for comfort for those who are used to having more space between the beds.
The area around the is very nice. You have many shops and restaurants to chose from. I happened to be there for the nightly Europa-Center festivities. It was a good time for everyone. Music, dancing, Nutella crepes, beer and more shops make for a great night.
if you must take public transportation from Tegel take the 109 bus. It drops you off of Ku'dam Strasse a few blocks from the hotel. The X9 bus will drop you off by the zoo. It is only one more block of walking. This is also the only airport bound bus operating early in the morning if you have an early flight. I believe it runs every 20 minutes early in the morning.

• Stayed: August 2014

Bonjour I_am_lost_of_purpose,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your impression with us. I am happy
that you liked the style of the hotel.
The renovation is now finished and we re-opend our new bar, the new restaurant and public
areas which all looks now very stylish.

We are looking forward to welcome you back very soon to show the new design.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed here for a weekend break and after much rumination decided to stay in the ex West, which, is still much nicer with lots of restaurants around and away from the still building site of the East.

The room was absolutely lovely, large, comfortable and with a super luxurious bathroom - and that's in a standard room. The breakfast is ok, probably not quite what it was cracked up to be when we were sold a deal on check in - but a four out of five and we did manage to linger until midday on Sunday!

The communal areas let the hotel down. Empty soulless and unused. And the bar, with worn carpets and a small area is a disgrace for a hotel of this standing. Apparently Sofitel only took it over recently, and work was in progress. Its a beautiful art deco building so lets hope for some sympathetic progress in the way it is used.

Berlin is fantastic. You may not like it - its 20th century history is unpleasant and evident. It is huge and not always easy to get around, but utterly fascinating. We did the bus trip, which reception organised, if you are on a quick trip its a must, and starts just near by on the Ku'dam.

Loved it, but please brighten up the communal areas and lets have a sexy bar worthy of a five star hotel in Berlin.

Room Tip: We were on the side road at the corner which s quieter
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian P

Bonjour Ian P,

Thank your very much for sharing your impressions with us.

Just 3 weeks ago we re-opend the bar, the restaurant and the public areas which were
redecorated according to the Sofitel standards during the summer.
My team and myself are excited about the new look and I am pretty sure that you will like
the new and modern style.

I am looking forward to welcome you back and present the new look.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is our favorite hotel. We have been in Berlin severale times and stayed at different hotels. After our first stay at hotel Concorde Berlin we never used a other hotell. Last year Concorde Berlin became a member of Sofitel and we was dissapointed. But when we again came back to Kurfuerstendamm again and stayed at Sofitel we still loved this hotel. They have the same culture for making your stay the best, from the reception to the breakfast staff. Always smiling, always wants to please you and if you ask for something they will do their best for helpng you. We also travelled with our son from he was 1 year and now he is 4 yeras and they also makes his stay very good also. I would recommend this hotel very much. Last week i had my birtday and from Berlin there came a card from the hotell wishing me happy birtday. Not a big thing and they did not have to do it but this things makes this hotel to our favorite hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Bonjour Svenn M,

Thank you so much for your kind words - I happy that we could make your stay a
special one and I already passed all your compliments to my colleagues.

We are looking forward to welcome you and your family back to the Sofitel
Berlin Kurfürstendamm.